Page 954 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 454854904944952953954955956964 ... LastLast
Results 9,531 to 9,540 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I still use Windows to play most games and the printer/scanner I have doesn't have a scanner driver for Linux. Also my uni does things in certain formats that Linux won't handle properly or at all. So there's that.
    I keep threatening to put Linux on my youngest daughter's computer with all the malware crap she keeps installing (and me wasting my time removing it). Otherwise, yeah, I'd use it 100% of the time.

Beans

I switched about a month and a half ago, and have not looked back. I was a die hard Windows user since 95 and NT. There was only one program that kept me tied to a dual boot, but I found out it run fine in WINE. Did a fresh install of 13.10 when it dropped and use Ubuntu as my only OS.

Beans

It was with a heavy heart I've switched back to Windows 7. The Windows rituals of updating individual software was the reason I switched. What I found during the 2 weeks I've trialled (like all O.S) the more you install the more buggy it gets. So I swapped Windows updates etc, for running codes to get the clock back, system settings, the chore of getting java or a sunlight equivalent became a constant headache. Unable to run DVD's or having to open in a certain way. I never got blu-ray to play. Unable to run Itunes purchases (which I've spent money on) unable run access or publisher files. Unable to run my webcam. The problem is; not understanding the code ... what exactly does sudo mean? It very nearly is the OS I want it to be.

On the positive side it is quicker booting, shutting down. My music was clearer through rhythm box (even though I sacrificed the catalogoue way of album covers thru Itunes & when you have over 600 albums is a must for me) There is less viruses/threats but no OS is ideal and I didn't trust what security software is in Linux i.e. the level of protection. Maybe one day I'll switch again. But being a windows user I know it inside out.
    Last edited by 8Qnf0bne; October 26th, 2013 at 10:34 AM.

Beans

I want to switch on my phone

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

My entire home network is Ubuntu or a variant. Since I have older hardware for most of my equipment I use Lubuntu for my desktop and I converted one of my better systems into a dedicated server running Ubuntu Server (no GUI). However, I learned that hard way that some open source application just want get the entire task done. Without putting down some community hard work I will re-frame from naming the open source project but because I could not find a comparable power-point substitution I am running XP in a VM. I really did not want to do that but it is what it is and I need power-point for my classes!!! I blog about my appreciation for Linux, FOSS, and the OSM at http://luvlinuxos.blogspot.com I am really focused on giving back to the communities that make it possible to all of us to enjoy our computer systems with free software!!!

~LuvLinuxOS~
    Last edited by LuvLinuxOS; October 30th, 2013 at 03:32 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by tulipán View Post
    I have no idea where to post this, so bear with me: i just spent the last 6 hours figuring out how to make xubuntu 10.14 work on my antedeluvian ideapad and i did it! i edited grub, i installed flash, updated firefox, set login, all you want!! omg. i thought i was gonna fail our little cafe and the online radio that is supposed to be on all day. but i didnt fail, xubuntu prevailed, and may the force be with all of you
    as you can see i am newbie for spending so much time on this, but i am just very happy i switched to linux and i love you all for posting all the answers on all these forums all around the web!!
    (and if you are in Szeged, Hungary, check out our Dali Café Bar )
    If I were you, I'd invest the money saved in not renting Microsoft in a Linxu supported printer. I've never had a problem with any of the HP products. Some of my clients have Brother printers. I haven't experienced any problems with those either.

I'm not sure which is best supported, but my personal opinion is that HP is better supported. I'd love to hear comments from anyone who have better experience with any different printer, or think a different model is better supported than HP. I'd love to give my clients a list of manufacturers to choose from, of which they won't incur the problems that you describe.

I'd love to be able to give you a list, but again, I believe your best bet is the HP which I've never experienced any problems with. When users start dropping from purchasing unsupported printers I'm sure all the other manufacturers will soon jump onboard.

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Beans

Using UNIX, then Linux almost exclusively since the early 80's...
    I have been often forced to use Windows as well since 3.0, 95, etc. That was never a pleasant experience, always virii and trojan wars...
    Exclusively Linux user until 1 month ago:
    There was this game we "had to have" that really did not perform well under Ubuntu 13.x Wine anymore.
    So I bought my first copy of Windows ever, the 7 kind from official Microsoft, priced at well over $100.
    The installation process of Windows 7 was ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE.
    1) The official DVD installer still looked like 1980's vintage DOS with a face lift.
    2) Did not recognize the mouse, I tried two different mice, both failed, finally had to fall back on an older Logitech USB mouse -- the only one recognized.
    3) Windows 7 would NOT work with the on-board Ethernet card, fortunately there was a PCI slot where we could put an old NIC 100Mbps, that was recognized, so we could update the garbage original version...
    4) The graphics card was not recognized even after update, was set in very low resolution mode.
    I was really robbed of $100, companies I worked with have been robbed by many $M by M$oft over the years, all the good money could have gone directly into open source software for the people, available source to the people - sigh.
    So "the game" worked better on Windows 7 after a HORRID after noon of install an upgrade and fixes.
    With all the security updates possible, the darn thing collected a nasty Trojan (and the only thing it is used for is gaming, no email!).
    It took us till late last night to scrub the Trojan off, will all its 46 nasty worms!!

UNIX was built by a couple geniuses with amazing simple and common-sense security principles in the 70's.
    DOS and Windows never got that part right -- no matter how long they will try.

Fortunately Linux and GNU, The Free Software Foundation, and the open source supporters out there have persisted and now are striving...
    So keep all the great work going, give donations:
    Each time you save $20 by not buying another "fixer" for Windows issues, then contribute $2 to an open source project!

Beans

List the cards as I don't believe a word of the above

Beans

If over the next few months I can get WineHQ to sustain me for things such as my Adobe Creative Cloud account, I think I'll be sticking around with Ubuntu for good this time. I've been with Windows for as long as I can remember, never found myself enjoying Mac. So let's hope this is a long term, mutual partnership. So much of my work with Student Unions across Canada is having "Open Access" to information.

Beans

All Linux for the last few years, Ubuntu and now Mint. I have found that most Windows software runs well on Wine. I love DOSBox for those old games, Duke Nukem etc.

Page 954 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 454854904944952953954955956964 ... LastLast