Page 244 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 144194234242243244245246254294344744 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,440 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

100% Linux Mint, about to install Geubuntu 7.10 when it is released (today or tomorrow)
    My Laptop: 1.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 512 MB RAM, 80 GB HD, Intel Integrated Graphics, Intel Pro Wireless 3945
    Partitioning: 10 GB Debian Testing partition, 10 GB Ubuntu 8.10, 1.2 GB Swap partition,and then 55 GB for "/media/Documents"

Beans

Started with Suse 8 in 2001 on a P3. Kept a dual boot with ME for a long time. Later I got an abandoned PC witha 1.1Ghz Celeron and installed Ubuntu on it (Whatever was before Dapper). That was a dual boot with Win2k, but I only booted in Windows for 3 applications (Band in the Box, TaxCut, and to access on-line banking when my bank only supported IE). That was upgraded to Dapper.

The Celeron died in August and I just set up the P3 with Gutsy. That is going to be my office computer. I ordered a new Duo Core from Dell during their Black Friday sale and will put Gutsy on that as well. Was considering a dual boot with OS X, but I read Band in the Box now works with Linux, so I have no need. I can use my work laptop to complete my taxes once a year or just use the on-line version of the software.

I have an HP Celeron that I plan to make a file server and am getting a PIV that I plan to set up as an HTPC with LinuxMCE.

I have been "clean" for for a few years now with my only Windows use at work and on my cell phone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I've been using Linux completely now on my main computer since ~2000. I began with slackware a few years before that, then swithced to debian, and after that Ubuntu. However, on our new laptop we just bought this fall, we use Windows. I will try to install Ubuntu on it later, but I first have to get permission from my wife...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Quote Originally Posted by Quake View Post
    I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.
    Everytime I run my XP box I am remind of why i switched: Google Desktop pwned XP, and uninstalling it is a bitch.

Tho I aint pleased that no matter which browser or OS I use, save for w3m, java still pwns the OS and eventually hogs all the memory due to its devil's pact with the browser.

I thought the reason to switch was to end this memory problem when you mix script engines with the browser (eg in Windows, between ActiveX & Java and IE). Did Linux, Mozilla and even Opera 'geers train at Redmond after signing their own devil's pact with Microsloth so they could pore over the IE engine code and create similar problems plaguing Firefox/Mozilla (and Epiphany by default but Konqueror due to KDE's larger footprint) as well as Opera???

Despite web browsers being memory hogs, I am starting to like Opera because it did what Mozilla, and much later Microsoft, attempted to do with tabbed windows, plus the tools are more self contained and don't pop up in child windows.

Sadly though, it's untrue that Opera has a smaller memory footprint than Mozilla/Firefox.

So in short, let's just say my XP box is on standby in case some darkside crackerjack artist devises a script that renders my Linux box inoperable after he places it on some NFS website I happen upon.

Tho I am tempted to install Ubuntu on a new HD and update it from 6.06 through 6.06.1 to 6.10 and upgrade it onwards to 7.04 and 7.10 just to see if I can access the servers for DAAP/Firefly and WWW using thttpd which I installed on the current Ubuntu Linux box as well as seeing if the zeroconf/Bonjour server announces the Firefly server on the LAN.

By then will I have cut the ties to XP, save for my roomies' XP machine. They are simple folk who like being Microserfs and find Linux to be too "Satanic" for their needs. And they phear me using it lest it magically crash and burn.
    Last edited by sageb1; December 5th, 2007 at 09:01 AM. Reason: no, i can't keep it short and sweet!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by sageb1 View Post
    Despite web browsers being memory hogs, I am starting to like Opera because it did what Mozilla, and much later Microsoft, attempted to do with tabbed windows, plus the tools are more self contained and don't pop up in child windows.

Sadly though, it's untrue that Opera has a smaller memory footprint than Mozilla/Firefox.
    If you're suggesting Opera had tabs long after Mozilla and Microsoft pioneered it you're wrong. Opera was one of the earliest to have tabbed browsing.

Using the lastest stable builds of opera and firefox, open up 20 identical tabs, leave them for an hour and post the memory footprint here.
    Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes; art is knowing which ones to keep.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hello, everyone =)
    I have completely switched to Linux (currently Ubuntu 7.10) about a year or so and I'm very glad I did. The migration process wasn't anywhere near that painful as I thought and I haven't had any major problems with my computer ever since - as far as I can tell, Linux indeed "just works" as promised. Now I'm recommending everyone to at least give it shot and not to install (not to mention actually buy) Windows unless it's absolutely necessary. I encourage everyone who's considering migration to an alternative OS to at least dual-boot as soon as possible because there's nothing to fear - I've been using Windows all the time and I had absolutely no experience with anything UNIX-like but there was hardly anything I couldn't live with since I got rid of Windows. As far as gaming goes, it's only software vendors' fault there are so few native Linux versions of popular game titles but the situation seems to be improving and the more Linux users exist, the better supported it's gonna be, so go for it.
    Last edited by »John«; December 14th, 2007 at 08:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I switched from XP to Ubuntu 6.06 in the summer of 2006, just for curiosity. I was a USMC network administrator and therefore only used Windows (no prior computer experience). I have had only minor issues, esspecially with wireless, but since I only use wired at home, its not that big a deal for me. I've gotten several older games to work with WINE (C&C Gold, Star Trek Armada I & II, and Star Wars Jedi Outcast), but haven't really experimented with any newer games since my computer is a Frankenstein-home-build. My hardware is just not up to par yet. I love how I don't pay for anything any more though. I get hardware from trash/scrap heaps and the software is either stuff I have owned for years or is FOSS. I'm loving it! I'm also working on building two separate networks using just Ubuntu Server/"Workstation". One for a high school ROTC unit that doesn't have the funds for new stuff and the other for a start up solar panel installation company. I'll try to post stuff in the forums about my trials and tribulations through those.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

i started with xubuntu 8 months ago ando now i use ubuntu feisty in my new laptop, i erased vista but 15 days ago i installed xp. I still use ubuntu as my primary OS but in xp i can play Age of Empires 3

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by sethvath View Post
    If you're suggesting Opera had tabs long after Mozilla and Microsoft pioneered it you're wrong. Opera was one of the earliest to have tabbed browsing.

Using the lastest stable builds of opera and firefox, open up 20 identical tabs, leave them for an hour and post the memory footprint here.
    I believe Opera was the 3rd browser to use tabs, at least the third major one (I'm sure one of the smaller guys came up with it early on).

Neoplanet was the first I found with tabs, back in around 1998. Not long after that Netscape picked up on it. I don't remember when Opera joined the party, but I don't believe it was quite that early that they used the tab thang.
    Want me to punchisize your face, For free??

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Angry Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Just dumped XP 3 weeks ago. I still have to use it at work everyday though

Page 244 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 144194234242243244245246254294344744 ... LastLast