Page 816 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 316716766806814815816817818826866916 ... LastLast
Results 8,151 to 8,160 of 10014

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

windows runs smoother in linux if you don't mind the flickering for things like netflix.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Hello,

I own a Recording Studio in Tampa Florida. In addition, I have been a computer tech for several years. My duties focus on building custom systems, repairs, data recovery among others. Although I am not in anyway experienced or enjoy programming to any extent.

After building the Main Studio System ASUS Board. AMD Phenom ll 6 core CPU, 10 GB DDR3 Ram, 6 HDD w/ 3 RAID arrays, I had the awful experience of using Windows 7. After several months of total frustration and slow speed, limited control and sloppy performance, I switched to Windows XP 64. An improvement but still lack-lustre. I tried using Linux Studio 64. I had used Ubuntu and Linux briefly in the past and was introduced to it by my employer at the time that used it for computers that customer's used. But soundcards were an issue back then. The Linux Studio 64 or Ubuntu Studio 64 I could not get to load. Finally I installed Ubuntu 11.04 and ran it as a "live cd"

To my AMAZEMENT, everything worked at start-up. Delta 24/96 Soundcard,, Ethernet, Belkin wireless adaptor, printers, EVERYTHING. I had been using "AUDACITY" prior in my Windows O.S. But when I played the first music through the system with UBUNTU 11.04 I was truly in awe!! The card performed better than I had ever heard in the 8 years of working in my digital studio. Still I do not have total control of the card. Same with the Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium in the second studio computer. Even with that I am still able to record through Audacity at the 96,000/24 Bit resolution that is the new industry standard. THE SPEED and FUNCTIONALITY ARE SUPERB!!!! Both with The Internet and The computer as a whole! Start-up and shutdown takes mere seconds. Unlike Windows and Apple. And no drivers to install!! That is what takes so much time when loading an O.S.for a system in the past.

A year and a half later I have played with it alot and have gotten to know the many programs and other pleasures of using UBUNTU 11.04. In fact, I now have been telling my computer customers about how superior LINUX and UBUNTU are to the Microsoft disasters and expense they all complain about. Some people have a real hard time in the beginning getting to know the layout and how to do certain things and some just can't seem to get past the change and familiarity of Windows. But most are very happy that I introduced them to The Sourceforge Community.

I always leave a customers existing Windows install intact and Install the Ubuntu side by side. So they always have both and Windows to fall back on if the choose. But most choose to stay and after a month The Windows partition is erased.

LINUX and UBUNTU are the future of computing!!

You Cannot go wrong with LINUX and UBUNTU!!

*Run as a Live CD and test it before you install it.
    *No worries about Viruses and Malware.
    *Faster and More Reliable.
    *Easy to install and configure.
    *Start-up and Shutdown takes SECONDS.
    *Adobe Flash Player, Skype, Pandora and VLC Player support
    *AND ITS ALL FREE!!!

Thomas Morey
    Computer Tech.
    Tampa Florida

Beans

Hello,

I own a Recording Studio in Tampa Florida. In addition, I have been a computer tech for several years. My duties focus on building custom systems, repairs, data recovery among others. Although I am not in anyway experienced or enjoy programming to any extent.

After building the Main Studio System ASUS Board. AMD Phenom ll 6 core CPU, 10 GB DDR3 Ram, 6 HDD w/ 3 RAID arrays, I had the awful experience of using Windows 7. After several months of total frustration and slow speed, limited control and sloppy performance, I switched to Windows XP 64. An improvement but still lack-lustre. I tried using Linux Studio 64. I had used Ubuntu and Linux briefly in the past and was introduced to it by my employer at the time that used it for computers that customer's used. But soundcards were an issue back then. The Linux Studio 64 or Ubuntu Studio 64 I could not get to load. Finally I installed Ubuntu 11.04 and ran it as a "live cd"

To my AMAZEMENT, everything worked at start-up. Delta 24/96 Soundcard,, Ethernet, Belkin wireless adaptor, printers, EVERYTHING. I had been using "AUDACITY" prior in my Windows O.S. But when I played the first music through the system with UBUNTU 11.04 I was truly in awe!! The card performed better than I had ever heard in the 8 years of working in my digital studio. Still I do not have total control of the card. Same with the Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium in the second studio computer. Even with that I am still able to record through Audacity at the 96,000/24 Bit resolution that is the new industry standard. THE SPEED and FUNCTIONALITY ARE SUPERB!!!! Both with The Internet and The computer as a whole! Start-up and shutdown takes mere seconds. Unlike Windows and Apple. And no drivers to install!! That is what takes so much time when loading an O.S.for a system in the past.

A year and a half later I have played with it alot and have gotten to know the many programs and other pleasures of using UBUNTU 11.04. In fact, I now have been telling my computer customers about how superior LINUX and UBUNTU are to the Microsoft disasters and expense they all complain about. Some people have a real hard time in the beginning getting to know the layout and how to do certain things and some just can't seem to get past the change and familiarity of Windows. But most are very happy that I introduced them to The Sourceforge Community.

I always leave a customers existing Windows install intact and Install the Ubuntu side by side. So they always have both and Windows to fall back on if the choose. But most choose to stay and after a month The Windows partition is erased.

LINUX and UBUNTU are the future of computing!!

You Cannot go wrong with LINUX and UBUNTU!!

*Run as a Live CD and test it before you install it.
    *No worries about Viruses and Malware.
    *Faster and More Reliable.
    *Easy to install and configure.
    *Start-up and Shutdown takes SECONDS.
    *Adobe Flash Player, Skype, Pandora and VLC Player support
    *AND ITS ALL FREE!!!

Thomas Morey
    Computer Tech.
    Tampa Florida

Beans

I am only running Linux for 3 years now.
    On our main computer it is Ubuntu 10.04. It is all we need.
    There is also a somewhat older machine that is used as a mediacentre, also running Ubuntu and on my laptop I installed Debian, Ubuntu 11.04 and a new distro. The last one is whatever is new. At the moment it is Ubuntu 11.10 beta 2 (For the first time it is running bad).

I had to reinstall Windows to do something that made no sens to me. To upgrade the firmware for my Samsung Galaxy S, running Android (Linux!!) I have to use a program that only runs on Windows, how ironical. After three years I have to use Windows again to run a Linux OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I used computers at the library to surf the web and the occasional word doc. Didn't care if it was Mac or Windows. In 2002 I was given an HP desktop with xp and was not prepared to be an "administrator". Three years later I got the blue screen of death. I was appalled by the service & support from HP and to a lesser extent microsoft. They wrangled $150 out of me and lost all my data. I get better treatment from a used car dealer. I was a noob. I looked around for something cheap and got a Zonbu mini for $200 and online backup for $9.95 a month. I no longer was the "administrator", zonbu was. I found no real differences in open office & word. Learned to use scribus, loved f-spot, could listen to music, make cd's, watch video, everything I was doing before. Zonbu answered all my noop questions promptly & patiently & then the end came, two years later no more Zonbu. I had a stupid little ebox. So I installed Ubuntu, hearty heron, and was amazed at how it ran on that tiny machine. Ubuntu taught me how to use a computer. I learned gimp. People think I am some kind of geek and ask me all kinds of things. I explain to them that I can't answer their questions about windows. I don't know windows. I don't think I ever knew windows.
    I can, & have recovered there lost data however. Now please just let me install ubuntu for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I removed my windows partition about a month ago after realizing video gaming isn't really much of a hobby to me anymore, thus the only thing I used Windows for was Adobe Photoshop CS5, which isn't compatible with wine, so I just made a dedicated VM for that.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I used computers at the library to surf the web and the occasional word doc. Didn't care if it was Mac or Windows. In 2002 I was given an HP desktop with xp and was not prepared to be an "administrator". Three years later I got the blue screen of death. I was appalled by the service & support from HP and to a lesser extent microsoft. They wrangled $150 out of me and lost all my data. I get better treatment from a used car dealer. I was a noob. I looked around for something cheap and got a Zonbu mini for $200 and online backup for $9.95 a month. I no longer was the "administrator", zonbu was. I found no real differences in open office & word. Learned to use scribus, loved f-spot, could listen to music, make cd's, watch video, everything I was doing before. Zonbu answered all my noop questions promptly & patiently & then the end came, two years later no more Zonbu. I had a stupid little ebox. So I installed Ubuntu, hearty heron, and was amazed at how it ran on that tiny machine. Ubuntu taught me how to use a computer. I learned gimp. People think I am some kind of geek and ask me all kinds of things. I explain to them that I can't answer their questions about windows. I don't know windows. I don't think I ever knew windows.
    I can, & have recovered there lost data however. Now please just let me install ubuntu for you.

Beans

Just switched completely over to Ubuntu 11.04. I was using it on the side with Windows 7, but turned my computer on one day and everything was gone - the OS/Recovery, everything - so decided to just install Ubuntu and it's my only OS now. At the moment, I am not loving it, mostly because I am a hardcore Photoshop User, and can't get it too run (even using wine), nor can I get 2.7.3 of Gimp Installed. If I could fix these issues I would love it though! Super fast in my opnion - compared to Windows anyway.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ValerieAnne View Post
    Just switched completely over to Ubuntu 11.04. I was using it on the side with Windows 7, but turned my computer on one day and everything was gone - the OS/Recovery, everything - so decided to just install Ubuntu and it's my only OS now. At the moment, I am not loving it, mostly because I am a hardcore Photoshop User, and can't get it too run (even using wine), nor can I get 2.7.3 of Gimp Installed. If I could fix these issues I would love it though! Super fast in my opnion - compared to Windows anyway.
    You can virtualbox Windows as Linux host and use Photoshop in there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    My daughter uses a Windows Vista laptop I got in 2007. Now she wants Ubuntu, but I think it is too obsolete hardware, isn't it?
    I have 11.04 installed on the laptop I bought in 2006, which originally came with Windows XP. I don't have the resources to run Unity (tragic loss that), but otherwise Gnome 2 fallback worked just fine, and boots in 1/10th the time it took for Windows.

Page 816 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 316716766806814815816817818826866916 ... LastLast