Page 922 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 422822872912920921922923924932972 ... LastLast
Results 9,211 to 9,220 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by randi2kewl View Post
    I go back and forth only because I use adobe products such as photoshop and illustrator. I don't think that I can make the whole move until I have those two on a Linux distro.
    That's the problem if you are stuck with a software package you can live without. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Some people thing that running anything but Linux is a sin or something. I paid for all my MS products and if I need them I would use them. I just find now that I am retired I just don't need them any more. It seem that my hobby has become Linux and I love it.
    To be honest I like Ubuntu and Android and use them both.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I am 100% Ubuntu in my house (besides my wife's iStuff). The only iffy area is VirtualBox with WinXP for some Lotis Notes documents from the Air Force. Other than that, I use my card reader with Firefox in Ubuntu to access the Air Force Portal and if I run into something that doesn't work I either find a way to make it work, or avoid that area (One of my banks had a portion of their site that never worked; so I closed my account).

I gave up gaming on my desktop (and I've got a screamin' desktop machine), came to grips with the fact that my OS of choice isn't "popular" enough to justify some things I wish it would do automatically.

I also use Ubuntu Server 12.04 for my Web server, media server (Mediatomb) and most recently Ubuntu Server 10.04.4 on a 200mhz Pentium MMX, 256mb PC100 ram, 10, 16 & 2gig hard drive with a few USB HDD connected back up box (Had to install 10.04.4 to get it to work, 12.04 doesn't support the Pentium MMX cpu - no pae).
    Be nice or I will have you ctrl+alt+deleted!

Beans

i did and it really didn't affect me all that much. almost all of the games i play on a normal basis are supported by playonlinux. it works with wine to install alot of games as well as several other programs. like the itunes i unfortunately cannot live without

Beans

I've switched to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on the main house PC and Lubuntu on the netbook and laptop. I use Virtualbox on the PC and laptop because I'm a defense contractor and found that Virtualbox Windows 7 works better than Wine and allows complete compatibility for documents, spreadsheets and programs that are solely Windows based or need to look right on the customer's box. My only beef with Ubuntu/Lubuntu is when I change hardware and have to dig around for fixes to problems and to compatibility issues.

Beans

I cut myself free of Windows completely after about a year of messing with various versions of Linux. Ubuntu has so far proven to be the easiest to install on my system and I hope to stick with it long term but right now I am a little frustrated with the changes after 10.10. Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10 are excellent operating systems and I hope someone will bifurcate from there instead of dropping what are clearly well liked and reliable releases. Let Unity become its own branch, or just another desktop option, in the Linux tree and keep supporting Lynx and Meerkat. I would offer to take the project on myself but I am not that deep. Still if I can encourage the supporters of 10.04 and 10.10 to seek refinements within the envelope of those offerings. There is no need, and little wisdom, in letting community entropy either keep us stuck at 10.10 or insist everyone must love unity or perish.

- Free software,... its ubiquitous, or it should be.
    Last edited by LCornell; January 20th, 2013 at 06:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I rememebr the times when I switched back to Windows because something I thought I need was not working on Linux. I now use Linux for a couple of years without even have any Windows machine in our household and there is not anything I miss. I have to say that I know a lot of guys who love to game on a pc and I believe they have no other choice at the moment to have at least one Windows machine at home but that means not that they cannot have an linux machine for daily stuff.

My 5 cent

-Greg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Used Dos/Windows primarily from 1981 to 2008

Since then I have been mostly on Ubuntu but forced to use XP on virtualbox for Quicken

I finally cut the cord this month. Transferred 23 years of Quicken data to Moneydance which supports Linux. How sweet it is not to hear that Windows start up jingle!

For all those stuck with Windows just for Quicken, I find Moneydance to be just as capable with an easier user interface and no bloat or ads. My data file decreased from 100 mb on Quicken to 13 mb on Moneydance. It is proprietary and actually runs on Java, but not overpriced and has a very reasonable license. Could not be happier.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jajodo View Post
    Used Dos/Windows primarily from 1981 to 2008

Since then I have been mostly on Ubuntu but forced to use XP on virtualbox for Quicken

I finally cut the cord this month. Transferred 23 years of Quicken data to Moneydance which supports Linux. How sweet it is not to hear that Windows start up jingle!

For all those stuck with Windows just for Quicken, I find Moneydance to be just as capable with an easier user interface and no bloat or ads. My data file decreased from 100 mb on Quicken to 13 mb on Moneydance. It is proprietary and actually runs on Java, but not overpriced and has a very reasonable license. Could not be happier.
    Years ago I was a Quicken user and I was getting tired of upgrading all the time. Finely my bank got online banking and I use there tools to keep track of my money and where it all goes, and boy does it go. Now I do every thing online and can download anything I need. After years of not using Quicken, I don't even miss it. I exported all my data from it, but have never needed to refer it as of yet.
    It really feels good to be free of Windows and all those programs I had to keep updating. And that included virus software.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans

I'm studying Windows Development, so that's mainly the reason why I'm not deleting the Win7 from my computer and not completely migrating to Linux (hypocritical, isn't it? ).

Windows has got huge possibilities for even further development and stability improvements, but sadly, no one pays attention on that any more, and that's where I just adore Linux!

I'm using Pinguy 12.04 LTS and I've gotta say that I'm thrilled about it! It's heavier than most of the other distros that I've used so far, but for day-to-day use, it's perfect. I have never experienced a crash, slowdown, driver issues or anything else. It's a heavy distro, but still not as heavy as Windows 7.

I would recommend everyone to at least try one of the many distros out there, because really you've got nothing to lose.
    And a question, where can I learn more about the basics of using Linux?

Cheers everyone!

Beans

Talking Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I switched completely about 4 days ago with a few yrs of trying and kept going back to windows due to my gaming habit now that i know my way around wine and crossover and getting most of my games I play to work and some basic understanding of linux now its easier than ever for me I doubt I will ever go back. I love Linux to much now for that

Page 922 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 422822872912920921922923924932972 ... LastLast