Page 316 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 216266306314315316317318326366416816 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,160 of 10014

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I've been Windows-free for about a year now. I went though 6 months of freaking hell trying to learn a new operating system, and in that time I've become convinced of the superiority of Linux as an OS.

My current OS of choice is Ubuntu Hardy. On my rig I've gotten World of Warcraft running perfectly through Wine, gotten all the 64bit crap working, got screenlets working... I've messed about with it umpteen times and lost count of the number of times I've reinstalled everything.

It's never stopped being fun, though. And I love that Ubuntu just works out of the box and sets itself up in about 15 minutes. If it wasn't for all the wacky stuff I do to my computer, I'd never have any problems at all. I know it seems like a big jump, just to dump XP and go solo with Linux, but it's worth it when you think about upgrading... to, say, the bug-filled, DRM riddled, bloated sack of vomit that is Windows Vista.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I honestly have not had Windows on my system for about 3 years now. However I do still have to deal with it as others in my family refuse to see the light
    "The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing..."
    -Leo Buscaglia

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by game_plan View Post
    I honestly have not had Windows on my system for about 3 years now. However I do still have to deal with it as others in my family refuse to see the light
    I know that feeling.

currently there is only one machine here in teh house. This is a ubuntu box only.... I have not even tried any other flavours of linux on it.

My wife brings home a laptop from where she teaches (and I am not allowed to make any changes/installs on it) when shen needs to work at home but she will not take the time to learn ubuntu... for what she needs to do all she has to learn is how to open the correct word processor and use it like MS Word, almost...

The kds are antsy because they have had a few problems with this box. but most of those were operator related, not equipment related... but they are convinced all their friends adn classmates are right and that MS is the way to go....

I have said to them all that this HOUSE is an MS Free Zone and will remain so. even if they buy a laptop with their own money I will try to make it MS Free....

robi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have been using Ubuntu as the main OS on my laptop for about a month now. Windows XP was frequently crashing and it took hours to reinstall Windows. However, I have several business applications in XP that are not available in Linux so for a solution; I downloaded and installed VMware Workstation for Linux and created a Windows XP virtual machine to run those software applications.

So far everything has been working great! Now I can run all my XP applications by powering on the VM. Also an added benefit is having a backup for all my XP files and applications without having to completely reinstall a Windows OS. If my virtual XP should become unstable, I can delete the VM folder and power on my backup VM in minutes.

In my opinion Linux is much more stable than Windows and as more developers contribute to the library of user-friendly software applications the adoption rate among desktop users will no doubt increase.
    Last edited by V. Wayne; May 25th, 2008 at 02:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

i dumped ******* 8 months ago. now using hardy and to be honest it just works. i started with gutsy, tried mandriva and now run hardy full time. i have zandros on my laptop, and no prizes for guessing what my laptop is. LOL

windows xp and vista would just crash all the time, but with linux i never knew how stable an OS could be. since installing hardy on day of release i have had not a single crash, had one in hardy, damn nvidia.

ubuntu just woks. does everything i need it to, better, faster than *******.

here are my specs, nothing fancy just works for me. i had xp and vista on the same box.
    cpu athlon xp 2200-1.75 ghz
    mem-1gb pc3200
    video card-nvidia 6200 - 256mb
    hdd- 40 gb
    ext hdd 500 gb
    yes i know i need a new box, and will upgrade soon but when i get so much of a performance boost over *******, ( 700mb vidoe file convert and burn- 1 h 45m in ubuntu and 3h in xp and a what felt like a week in vista ) i will stick with ubuntu. the only time i use xp is in work and i get daily crashes with our software.

so linux all the way for me. bring on my new dual core, 2gb ram and we will scream though tasks.

guitar:

and my house mate runs xp on a 2.8ghz pentium 4 and under linux i can keep up with his pc in most tasks.

linux baby. yeah

Beans

I only use windows in vmware for my printer but that's about it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I've been using Ubuntu for more than a year now.
    My girlfriend, family and some closest friends also migrated too.
    At first they were very "afraid" of the change, (Guess people are afraid of what they don't know of) now they use their Ubuntu systems and feel very comfortable with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I just switched completeley to Ubuntu 8.04. My main reason was becasue I'm to cheap to buy windows, and windows sucks anyway. I dont really know what i'm doing yet. But I have faith, and its been better than windows already, and i just got started! I have some problems yet to be resolved, mainly becasue I have an ipod touch i dont how to hook up yet, and at the same time I want to be able to put music on another mp3 player. But I know itunes, and windows werent going to helping me out anyway. using windows nowadays, is a lot like driving a gas guzzler, Linux is a hybrid.
    Last edited by linuxinireland; May 20th, 2008 at 12:26 AM.

Beans

I have altogether switched except for the occasional use of my siblings mac laptop although a greatly miss my games from old windows, and hope to one day run windows and linux (but use linux the most )

Beans

My Desktop:
    95% Debian, 5% Windows for a few games

My Laptop:
    Mostly Debian, Windows because my CD drive won't work to resize partitions And better graphics driver (Ati card too old for fglrx or whatever its called)

My Parent's Laptop:
    99.9% Kubuntu, Windows in Vmware for turbotax during tax season

My Little Brother's Computer:
    100% Fluxbuntu (It's an older box but it does the job)

My Littler Brother's Computer
    90% Kubuntu, he plays a few games that don't like Linux

Overall, the is a pretty open source house Most importantly, no Vista Except for recovery discs but meh it's not installed.
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Page 316 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 216266306314315316317318326366416816 ... LastLast