Page 851 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 351751801841849850851852853861901951 ... LastLast
Results 8,501 to 8,510 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by MisterGaribaldi View Post
    For graphics and multimedia, which is really my thing, Linux as a desktop OS simply isn't practical. I wish it were, and if it ever becomes so in the future, I'll consider it.
    I was in that position for many years. Keep coming back and trying it every now and then--desktop Linux is getting better and better, and one day you might find it works for you, finally. I did.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Every system I have has Linux on it, Be it Ubunutu 11.10, Lubuntu 11.10, or my boot-able thumb drive with MacPup (Puppy Linux) on it. But I do not thin I will ever leave Windows behind. Some classes in school require Silverlight and Linux does not support that, plus I need a way to watch Netflix. Hopefully someday, although now most of my Window is through VirtualBox in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

On my desktop with only the single purpose of running Poser Pro 2012: Win7. On my laptop, Ubuntu 11.10 with the Cinnamon desktop which solved the 2nd-monitor issue for me.
    FOSS is amazing. It's about community, not corporations. I love it.
    Linux User #445955
    Let's use a little common sense. Of course, that's not all that common.

Beans

My computer does not take a Linux system !

Beans

Installed it on somebody's Compaq for them. Totally fell in love with it; like a more efficient, cooler, freer, non-corporate OSX. Just ordered a Lenovo Thinkpad to fully transition to Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I started on Ubuntu 11.04 with a dual boot system six months ago. My plan was to go over to Ubuntu completely from Windows XP by now as I counted myself as an enthusiastic fan of Ubuntu.
    However after upgrading to 11.10 and the printer stopped working I was forced to use Windows for printing. I gave up trying to fix the Ubuntu printer problem after two months, and even now after all the CUPS and kernel upgrades it's still dead, so I keep Windows.
    I do lot of audio and video transcription, authoring and encoding. One by one all the Ubuntu applications for these failed or crashed or just didn't do the job, and I've tried loads of them. This has forced me back to the Windows programmes that do the job so well, so instead of tinkering with the computer I can get the jobs done smoothly.
    Ubuntu looks better than Windows, but as I now depend on Windows it's got to stay.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by theducksfan2010 View Post
    Every system I have has Linux on it, Be it Ubunutu 11.10, Lubuntu 11.10, or my boot-able thumb drive with MacPup (Puppy Linux) on it. But I do not thin I will ever leave Windows behind. Some classes in school require Silverlight and Linux does not support that, plus I need a way to watch Netflix. Hopefully someday, although now most of my Window is through VirtualBox in Ubuntu
    There's always Moonlight...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I still have two Windows machines here. One is a Vista machine that acts as the file, printer, and TiVo server. I have never created a TiVo server using Linux (downloads movies from TiVo, sends music and photos to TiVo) and back when the print server was Linux I had problems connecting to the print server using Windows machines (such as my wife's desktop or our laptop) as I think the Windows client expects the server to send the driver files.

I also have a Windows 7 machine that converts movies from TiVo and burns them to DVD. I have not found any Linux software that does a good job of that. As a matter of fact, I am dumping the Roxio software as there are some movies it cannot convert properly. I am now testing Video Redo which of course will only work on Windows.

Part of the reason why I still use Windows for these things is because in my experience doing specialized tasks in Ubuntu is very time consuming. I just don't have the time I used to for experiments like this. It is sometimes faster to use Windows for these things.

My main desktop is still Lucid Lynx and I have a test desktop where I will be installing 12.04 Beta I in March.

The laptop is a dual boot Kubuntu 11.10 and Windows XP. I kept XP on there for the wife and also in case I need to see how things are setup in XP to help friends with XP problems or test my software development projects there.
    If variety is the spice of life, monotony must therefore be the kiss of death.

Beans

I can't find any stable software to record from my HD webcam. Or an video editing software that doesn't crash every 10 mins. I love Ubuntu in every other way, but it sure does suck when it comes to any kind of video editing or encoding or supporting video hardware. Over the years I must have tried over a dozen webcams on Linux and I have never had one install and run smoothly. I hate the fact Linux is always playing catchup to propotiary software.

Beans

I stopped using the blue screen while using windows 95SE. After reinstalling 95SE more than fifteen times after starting to keep count, I said this is total BS, that there had to be something better.
    I kept 95SE installed until I could learn Red Hat, then I dumped 95SE and have not looked back. After several years found Mepis. Then went to Ubuntu and back to Mepis, throw in Debian Woody there somewhere. And now I'm back using Ubuntu 10.10.
    Because "I" didn't know what I was doing most of my major problems came during new installs. And I did not know all this help was here just for the asking. But now with the newer install CDs and DVDs it's a no brainier to have a new install up and running in fifteen clicks or less!

Page 851 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 351751801841849850851852853861901951 ... LastLast