Page 860 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 360760810850858859860861862870910960 ... LastLast
Results 8,591 to 8,600 of 10014

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

ME!
    I dumped Windows completely - Win 7 ditched me by failing to recover from a backup. That is when I decided I have had enough, even after 'paying' for the OS!

I gave 11.10 another try... (after using 9 some years ago)..
    You know what, after eating 100 dollars, my Win 7 could not handle "Mouse Scroll" on my Trackpad... Ubuntu let me use it without any fuss...
    (Frankly, this is when I figured out that the scroll was 'meant' to work... )

I am currently using 12.04... though I see some crashes, I am happy to google and learn and find answers on my own with the help of this GREAT forum.

Long live Ubuntu!

-r@v!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by gentryliving View Post
    What's the difference of Linux between windows? I am a windows user so i don't have idea what linux is.
    These general questions are best answered by googling. The forum is mainly for specific problems and advice.

If you want to see the difference and not read about it, trying a live boot is an option.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

I started my PC life with windows, then started using xubuntu gutsy on my laptop w/ dual boot of winXP way back in early 2008. Then I had to reformat my laptop and remove the linux partition because I needed the extra disc space, and I couldn't afford an external drive.

Had a new laptop on October 2010 (with a lot more HD space) then I tried wubi as the new laptop came with windows 7. Then I reformatted the computer with a clean ubuntu partition a year later. So I'm basically Windows-free since October 2011.

I switched to linux because 1) it's free and 2) I have to cure my addiction to gaming, as it almost ruined my academic career. Tried to work around it by trying to install thief:gold and nba live 2005 using wine. But to no avail.

So I just accepted it. No more going back. I'm a free man.

Just waiting for Precise Pangolin to arrive.

Beans

My only holdout is the printer! Tried long and hard to get it to work and could only secure partial functionality. For this reason I'm glad to have an old all but unusable G4 laptop around. Oh... and netflix!

Beans

I changed two computers (netbook and old laptop) entirely to Linux Ubuntu, my desktop is dual boot XP & Ubuntu and the gaming pc is win 7. I think that gaming is the main reason for not changing completely, but there is change at the horizon ....

The greatest joke was that I was unable to play a microsoft game on windows 7 but was able to play it on Ubuntu using play it on Linux ....
    Last edited by schopenhauer1962; April 2nd, 2012 at 03:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Have been running no other OS but Ubuntu since Hoary Hedgehog.
    Have been dual booting versions of Ubuntu for 5 years or more.
    Currently running 8.04LTS on one drive and 10.04.4LTS on another drive.
    Was surprised to be able to get 10.04 to work on system since it's a 14 year old Gateway.

No real issues as it works well though the updates on dialup can become tiresome.
    Keep the dreams of your youth and trust to luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by gentryliving View Post
    What's the difference of Linux between windows? I am a windows user so i don't have idea what linux is.
    The short answer is, they're different operating systems. I liken operating systems to languages--one will do the same tasks as the other, but handles them in its own way.

So--a little more down to earth, Linux is a different environment and a different computing experience from Windows. A lot of the things you're used to, even little things like right-clicking on something in Windows Explorer and hitting Send To--aren't necessarily there. But other things you've never seen might be available, such as rolling up windows--that is, you can have the window you're in close, except for the top bar, which stays visible (it's another way of switching around between windows; you roll a window down when you want to use it again).

Applications are different too; you don't have WordPad, Notepad, Windows Explorer, etc.--there are equivalents for all those, but they have different names and there are more of them, and they tend to work a little differently.

Installing software in Linux is either easier or harder than in Windows. In Ubuntu, for instance, you can open the Ubuntu Software Center, find a program you'd like to install, then just tell it to install--it downloads the files and installs it automatically for you. Or, if you find something online and it comes with an installer file for your package manager (that would be a .deb file for Ubuntu and other Debian based distros), that will work similar to a Windows setup.exe. But if you can't find a .deb file you'd have to install it from source like in the old days. That's a big pain...but, most users never get around to installing from source these days.

Another big difference is open vs. closed, free vs. proprietary, free vs. pay-to-play, or however you want to call it. You have to pay Microsoft to use Windows. You don't notice it most of the time because the cost of the license is hidden in the cost of the computer you buy from Dell, HP, etc. But it's there, and it's non-transferable, meaning you can't take your copy of Windows from one computer and install it on another. Transferable copies of Windows exist, but they cost a lot more--like $200. Most versions ("distros") of Linux are free. You never have to pay for a license to install, say, Ubuntu on as many computers as you like.

A final difference I'd like to mention is that Linux tends to be more of a DIY (do it yourself) kind of thing. There are fewer people out there who know how to fix & do things in Linux than for Windows. However, support is available for free in online forums, here for instance--but you're likely to do more legwork to solve your Linux problems than you did for Windows. In any case, switching to Linux will be an adjustment for Windows users--not an insuperable one, but it's a big learning experience however you do it.

Beans

I dont' have Windows 7 installed as an independent OS anymore. However, I kept missing my beloved Acoustica Mixcraft software so I installed Windows 7 again (after maybe 6 months without it) via Virtualbox - and it works OK. It drains my RAM a bit - but that's a sacrifice I'm gonna make for now.

Also Windows 7 on Virtualbox comes in handy after I bought the Nokia Lumia 800 - which is in no way compatible at all with Ubuntu. That's really annoying by the way, how hard could it be to have made it Mass Storage ready?

I'm going to get myself a new laptop soon - and I will have Windows as dual boot, but be working mainly on Ubuntu.

So I have been off Windows for a while - but has been drawn back to it again. Funny how things change once in a while.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Smile Re: upgarde to 11.10, 1 or more running instances of xscreensaver or xlockmore

I used to use double boot or Virtual Box to run these three windows programs:
    Mkv2vob, Winrar and Office but now I just use WINE to run them in Ubuntu.

Hear that??
    Its the sound of another computer user being free of Windows operating systems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I recently deleted my Windows 7 partition for the umph-teenth time. The thing that has made me re-install Windows time and time again is gaming, but at the moment I don't have the time to spare. I still have a VirtualBox Windows machine to smoothly get me through some banking/electronic ID stuff that I've had trouble doing under Linux.

Cheers!

Page 860 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 360760810850858859860861862870910960 ... LastLast