Page 417 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 317367407415416417418419427467517917 ... LastLast
Results 4,161 to 4,170 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I have stayed here with ubuntu for the last 1 year. And there seems to be no way i am going to be looking back.

Fortunately i am not a gamer, so dont really seem to have any problems.

Beans

Smile Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I finally made the switch permanent two days ago. I got so tired of problems with XP. Last time I had to reinstall it, took 3 days to get the patches to install right. Only reason I went through all that again was to play City of heroes and some other games with my wife. Ubuntu installed fine while I watched Hancock. Even she agreed I should run Linux when I did that.

Something about XP has just hated my computer since SP2 and got worse with SP3. No idea what, seems to be my ATI video driver causing some crashing, then of course next to Ubuntu XP is slow as can be.

Just to be totally honest this is my computer. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c00231229 I have 1gig Ram though now.

For me with Ubuntu it screams with speed for all I do and the few games I play.

I would like to thank everyone on this forum. When I was running Unbuntu the times before, everyone here was so much help and is why I have the option to ditch XP. I really appreciate it. It actually saved me buying another computer this stuff has got so bad.

Beans

Cool Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I just made the switch this past weekend. I might have done a dual-boot setup if I had a bigger HD on my desktop, but as it is I just ditched XP entirely. It had pissed me off for the last time. Installing Ubuntu was a snap, easier than I thought it would be. The only things that caused me a little trouble were my wireless card and my printer (a Dell AIO A920), neither of which are supported. I just used an ndiswrapper for the wireless card and after some searching on the internet found some deb packages for Lexmark z600 drivers to make the printer work (cause the Dell is a rebranded Lexmark). I'm loving Ubuntu. It loads faster, runs faster and is more stable, shuts down faster, takes up less HD space and uses less resources than XP on my computer. I like the program selection and the repositories. I installed IE and Word in Wine, just in case I need them for something. I miss a few programs, like Google Desktop Sidebar, and some Firefox extensions. Two things I'm disappointed about are the lack of an equalizer in Linux music players and the lack of video and voice chat in Pidgin; what's up with these huge oversights? I hope they're remedied soon. But switching was well worth it.

Beans

The alsa equalizer is not too bad. Shearch in synaptic for alsa.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I switched from Mac, sold my old macbook pro for 1000 dollars, bought a new and better Sony laptop for 700, deleted Vista right away, and couldn't be happier.

Beans

I'm going to begin my full transition on my desktop tomm, that's when the hard drive I ordered is coming in. I'm going to install either Ubuntu or OpenSUSE on it and run a dual-boot configuration with Vista. I have OpenSUSE on my laptop, so I've kind of already began the transition, but my desktop is my main machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Smile Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I tried Ubuntu the last weeks and since I am no gamer any longer, I decided to erase Windows completely from my PC. So, for three days now, I am a true Ubuntuer ;o)

I discovered, that there are even Open Source DAWs. Im a musician and want to begin with home recording, so it saves me 200 or 300€ that I would else spend for CuBase or something. At least, there is really no need for Windows at all ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I never really liked windows, I had been stuck with Vista but now I am all Ubuntu baby its great, all appart from my web cam problems but I am just going to buy one that is compatible with Ubuntu 8.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Just totally switched to Ubuntu, I became a believer when I tried it on Wubi, and when I read about the founder's philosophy. Installed it over Windows and won't go back.

Beans

I dual boot Windows XP and Ubuntu. I use Ubuntu for everything except gaming, which is the only reason why I keep Windows around.

Page 417 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 317367407415416417418419427467517917 ... LastLast