Page 510 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 10410460500508509510511512520560610 ... LastLast
Results 5,091 to 5,100 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I used to use red hat back in the day in highschool. It was insane and you had to specify everything and went back to windows. However, I switched back because of ubuntu about three years ago. I tried it on a cheap laptop and enjoyed it immensely and installed it on my desktop as well. Sold my laptop and put it on my Asus 1000he.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I haven't completely switched; Yahoo Messenger isn't supported, and Pidgin can't Buzz! or use other YM stuff, but I don't mind that. Switching back and forth from Windows to Ubuntu just bothers me because my Windows partition is so slow.

Beans

I would love to do a complete switch-a-roo. However, me is a football manager addict and WINE can't run it.

The only legitimate info I could say about me and linux is that Ubuntu is on one hard drive and XP/games on the other. The XP hard drive only gets booted when I want to game which is often, yes, but I have no documents on it or anything.

I feel like I am justifying to myself why I still have windows.

Beans

I switched to using Linux only within about two months of making the move. Converted all of my boxes one by one leaving Windows only on the family PC. I did not want to deal with the mess that is dual booting. I've been using Linux for about three years since then.

I used to be a PC gamer but quit in favor of Linux. I find learning Linux a much more productive use of time on the PC.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I did around 5 years ago... In my home and at work... I just use windows to make some IE tests, usually under Virtualization.
    Servers: Hardy(x4), Lucid(x6);
    Workstations: Quantal(x2), Lucid(x1);
    WM Flavors: Xubuntu(x3)
    Save Energy

Beans
    Hidden!

I would love to ditch Windows but I can't

I still need a Windows partition to play COD4 Online as my clan uses a PB server

(I complain about that a lot..lol)

So I still have a couple of apps I want/need/use that either really do not have a *nix equivalent no matter where I look or do not run under Wine. I also use the Windows partition to use the Nokia Suite for my phone.

For everything else I use *nix. I spent most of my time hooked up to Ubuntu on my Vaio TT though

Beans

Smile Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I have switched. I switched back in January of 2008. There are a crapload of games for Linux that are just as good as the kind you would go and buy anyway. Many games seem to also run under Wine passably (I hear this, I don't know first hand although most of my games do but they are older 1997 - 2001 games).
    Eric

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The three things that kept me using Winblows were::

1. lack of Novel writing software.
    2. lack of game support on Linux
    3. Lack of helpful folk to walk this noob through the hoops with it.

Well now it is different.

1. Writers World Maker is an excellent program that has the best perks for the best price (free)
    2. Between WINE, and the free download CrossOver Games that my brother gave me (he used to use Linux and downloaded it when they made an offer of a free version a while back.) the games issue is slowly going away.
    3. This forum and the entire Ubuntu community is killed off reason three.

I have installed Ubuntu on this old system and will probably never go back to Bill Gates 'braindead" child again. Just have to figure out how to get a few games running in this wonderful OS and I will be one happy fifty year old.

Mike
    Last edited by mal1958; June 2nd, 2009 at 05:52 AM. Reason: to subscribe to this thread
    "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning". - Rich Cook

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

3 days ago,after a few years of trying various Live CDs, I decided to do a full install of Ubuntu . This is on my little Dell x300. Well, everything just works!! Very pleased with the rejuvenation of the little laptop. It is now so much quicker than before with Vista.
    Glad I made the switch.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jamsh View Post
    3 days ago,after a few years of trying various Live CDs, I decided to do a full install of Ubuntu . This is on my little Dell x300. Well, everything just works!! Very pleased with the rejuvenation of the little laptop. It is now so much quicker than before with Vista.
    Glad I made the switch.
    Well done you! My third day was a couple of years ago now, and it's been nothing but awesome for me. Good luck with your Linux journey.

Page 510 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 10410460500508509510511512520560610 ... LastLast