Page 1 of 1002 12311511015011001 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by Quake
    I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.
    3 things keep me using xp on my laptop(however ubuntu is my main OS for everything else so i use my laptop very little):

my canon i850 printer.

no video editor that handles titles and audio track overlays that i have gotten to work yet. i tried kino, its really great, but no titles or audio overlay. i am thinking of creating cinerellia deb packages when i get that to work, just have not had the time.

alsa is not supported on my sound card(cause it sucks) so i use audacity on my win machine. this will be remidied when i get a new comp as i will purchase a creative labs audigy line card(which is supported in alsa so i can do sound recording).

the games thing is moot at this point for me because ut2004 is native linux and war3 run great in cedega. WOW runs good in cedega and if i ever want to play HL2 that will be supported better in the future. i mostly play blizzard titles, neverwinter nights(linux ported) and ut2004 and free games like frozen bubble.

i think over time my problems will diminish, the video editor problem will go away as kino gets more features or as i get another program working well. games will eventually be ported to linux in greater number and my printer..... well we shall see on that one.
    Cheerful Ghost - build your game list, write about awesome games and share that with the world. join us!

Beans

I compleatly use Ubuntu. I started using linux in 2002(I think), with redhat 8

~Alan
    I was a World before I was a Man;
    I was a Beast before I could Stand;
    I will remember before I forget. BEFORE I FORGET! ~Slipknot

Beans
    Hidden!

I have never used windows XP. Seeing screenshots on the net, it looks awful! (So ugly and tacky that it seems to hold your attention - like not being able to look away from a mother scolding her children.)

I used to have win98 but I got rid of that in 2002. I first started with mandrake and it made me want to vomit. Debian Woody was released and I installed that. Six months later, it was the only OS on my copmuters.

When someone asks me to install linux on their computer, I instal Ubuntu because I am sick and tired of aswering everyone's questions. Ubuntu just works - or requires only minimal tweaking.

I can't say anything about dvd or video playing since I do not use my computer for that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I haven't booted Windows for four months.

I play UT2K4, Q3, D3, SNES ROMS, and Frozen Bubble. I stay entertained.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I'm still using winXP as my primary OS because in Ubuntu I can't acces my 240 GB raid array. I don't think I will get it working. So I'm gonna lend some external harddisks and backup all my data. When that's done I will be using Ubuntu as my primary OS. I will keep a dual boot configuration for the time being.

Beans

I made the complete switch to linux about 4 or 5 months ago after using linux for about the same time. I miss some games but that's about it.

oh and my scanner doesn't work under linux but they're cheap so I'm just going to buy a new one. Once I get around to it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Thumbs up Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

My main box has been windows free for 2+ years.

The only thing I thought I'd miss is a linux version of Quicken. I tried many things to compensate for this from win4lin to codeweavers.

Instead of reinventing the wheel, it was easier to site in front of OO spreadsheet and design a budget and financial tracking template. Which has been a lot easier for me to plan and track, and more personalized for me then quicken ever was. Online banking can be done from any browser in my case so that was never a need in Quicken for me, just a convienience.

The updide of that is Quicken has reverted to licensing tacktics and upgrades annually. (my sister still can not let go).

So in addition to being windows free, I've save about 3 upgrades of Quicken and Quicktax.

Once you make up your mind to see the computing world without windows, you will find a way to accomplish the same tasks.

Gaming may be a whole new ball game. (or obsession)

I think if you are 'thinking' about going windowless, you are ready, JUST DO IT and learn to have fun.
    cheers - gabbman
    Linux, The Desktop of Choice

Beans
    Hidden!

i still do administrate some window boxes but for my personal use, i only use linux-systems. i feel somehow very insecure (viruses, spyware ...) and uncomfortable if i am in front of a windows-box. (not so) strange, eh? i have the constant feeling that the windows-boxes will crash and get infected anytime. i am much more relaxed behind my linux-boxes... since two and a half years now.

Beans
    Hidden!

I completely use Ubuntu. I keep Windows around for gaming problems (to test if they work in Windows, basically, then boot into Ubuntu and fix (or try to fix) the problem). I haven't "used" Windows in a long time, but it's still there.

Page 1 of 1002 12311511015011001 ... LastLast