Page 917 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 417817867907915916917918919927967 ... LastLast
Results 9,161 to 9,170 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I still have applications that are not supported in Ubuntu, like Adobe Premiere, so I need to keep Windows for now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkway View Post
    I still have applications that are not supported in Ubuntu, like Adobe Premiere, so I need to keep Windows for now.
    Do you HAVE TO use Adobe Premier ? Have you tried editors in Ubuntu ?
    Some are very good. May be if you can find an alternative, you might never have to go back to Windows. Start a thread there and I hope there would be many people who would be able to guide you to an alternative to Premier. I am not a Adobe Premier guru but when i used it some years back, I did not find it too great.

Beans

Almost exclusively Linux-based for more than 6 years. 'Almost' 'cos I still have a Vbox'ed XP that finds regular use, mostly for Natural Reader and Delphi 7. Delphi 7 does run on Wine but it's too buggy and can't be used for serious work. Similarly, a early version of Natural Reader runs on Wine, and which I use daily, but many of the essential functions don't work at all.

Beans

Since I work on web sites, I have to test them with Microsoft Internet Exploder. My computers are all old and not fast enough to run a virtual machine, so I reserve one computer to run Win-doze.

Beans

I'm a long time Mac OS user but is now trying to work in Ubuntu on a HP. Have done so for app 3 months but been using Ubuntu for a couple of years out of curiosity. It works pretty ok.

In general it's still a big difference. Mac OS works so smooth. Designing is harder in Ubuntu. I lack the flow, which is hard to explain if you're not a designer. But it works with Inkscape and Gimp, but with glitches here and there. For web. Any print would be harder.

I don't like that apps close when closing the last window. Thought I would get use to that, trying not to have a Mac OS mindset. But I must say that this is a downside and good thinking of Apple. I now see how good they are with being user friendly (Mac OS that is, don't like iOS). Would be great if apps would keep running in Ubuntu too.

Working with Web Development works very good, though I lack some smooth apps, such as a good ftp app. There's no question that commercial apps are generally better, with some exceptions. So far. Besides that the environment with apt-get is great.

I'm curios to where Ubuntu is going. More design thinking and the future is promising.

Beans

anydvd was one of the few things keeping me on windows. Now I don't need it anymore. With most newer movies coming with ultraviolet codes and walmarts disc to digital through vudu program I'm no longer interested in backing up movies. With a roku box I can stream most of my movies in HD wherever I want.

Once I finish playing some of the games I have installed I'm going to redo my system. I will be moving windows 7 to a spare drive and use the bios for switching to it as needed so I won't even have a boot menu with win 7 on it. If I ever switch out this pc that my win 7 is tied to I will go without it. I'm building a ubuntu steam box for setting up in my theater room. Maybe soon we won't need a console or windows to play games however I may consider purchasing a ps4 if it doesn't work out.

Other than that I think my garmin still requires windows but soon I will switch to 99% ubuntu.

Beans

exclusively on my netbook, but my TV's (3 so far) are connected to Windows 7 media center (Clear QAM). Currently using one to stream recorded content via iis7 WebDAV folders to ipod/iphone 4g. The two other laptops are still 7...

Beans

When i buy a new computer,i use windows tweak it,then dual boot with a linux system.

Beans

I am still using Windows for:
    - Autocad;
    - Solidworks
    - Adobe Illustrator
    Unfortunately you cannot find any similar
    packages under Ubuntu.
    Life is like a picture. Paint it well !!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I think the last time that I booted into Windows on this machine was in March of 2012 when I filed my taxes.

Page 917 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 417817867907915916917918919927967 ... LastLast