Page 102 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202602 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I switched full time to Linux on the 3th of december 2004. Never missed Windows for 1 second. Been using Red Hat 7.3/8/9 Mandriva and since october 2005 Ubuntu. I also made an dualboot Apple Powerbook with Ubuntu (Dapper Drake). Never use the OSX features
    /Jos

Linux on the desktop (Dutch): http://www.digiplace.nl
    We write about Linux (Dutch) http://www.linuxweblogs.nl

Beans

There are no more Windows PC's in my house! The 2 PC's we have here, are both running Ubuntu, and are staying that way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Here one more! I got a mini g4 and has no mac os x anymore and planing to build me a GNU/Linux media center so I will have a 2nd computer this time x86 and with no ms-windows on it for at least the 10th part of the cost of the windows equivalent using old pc pieces
    Macmini 1.42Ghz 512 MB radeon 9200
    Amilo pi 1505 dual core 2.5 GB intel gm950
    http://www.trasteo123.blogspot.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Lightbulb Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

cost of windows media center here around 1350e

cost of my LHMC with by far less hardware requirements

mobo abit nv7m bought in ebay------------------------------20.25e
    micro duron 800 (option to use my old 1700+ k7)------------5e
    ati all in wonder rage 128 32mb bought in ebay-------------10e
    hdd samsung spin series 80gb (I already had)---------------0e
    slim dvd burner (auch)-------------------------------------50e
    standard tv remote controler and usb irda------------------7e
    memory 768mb ddr 266mhz (I already had)--------------------0e
    box hipergroup it really looks like a slim dvd!!!!---------87.5e
    cpu cooler spire really thin but 27db -------------------5e
    silver paste for the cooler--------------------------------2e
    ================================================== =========187e

I dont know how looks for you but for me looks like 1163 euros cheaper and looks gorgeous, we are just playing films watching pictures checking weather and in the future telephone VoIP
    Who would need a p4 dual core with 2gb mem for that, if it is not for run the heavy bloated windows?

ops I forgot the soft cost? ubuntu-minimal+mythv(in the ubuntu repositories) GATOS driver mmmmmm 0 euros? and the security your system is as safe as you want to

I said I save 1163e?!
    Macmini 1.42Ghz 512 MB radeon 9200
    Amilo pi 1505 dual core 2.5 GB intel gm950
    http://www.trasteo123.blogspot.com/

Beans

I have been using Linux personally for about 4 years. I have been exclusive to Ubuntu for the last year. I am forced to use windows for my job, but since I have moved into Java, I am trying to push for a desktop test program!!

Beans

Surely you jest. The Ubuntu DL page leads the AMD64 AB user to to the AMD64 BB 5.10 edition. Don't Linux users read? See the gory details here.

--Completely Disgusted

PS: I am beginning to believe the typical Ubuntu expert is either knowingly dishonest or unknowingly dishonest, i.e., out of touch with the reality of the average PC enthusiast. It is unfortunate because the latter group comprises the largest pool of potential Ubuntu converts. The prevailing attitude of the experienced Ubuntu user seems to be, "I got mine . . ."

Beans

I've made the switch ...

No more Window$ for me, at work there is still Window$ but I'm trying to get them to switch as well

Beans

I have had a windows dual boot with various Distros for about 5 years, only now do I spend all my time on Kubuntu.
    I use windows for Dvd Shrink, Dungeon Keeper II, and printing.
    As someone said before, I just don't feel safe on windows (expecting crashes and virus attacks).
    Kubuntu for me is as complete as it can be for free, I still can't believe that all this is FREE, amazing.
    I'm sure that printing, gaming, DVDing issues will be sorted out in the near future, then it's bye bye windows for good.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Wink Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by Xilon
    I'm using Ubuntu 90% of my time for a couple of days now.
    cool maybe these will help you move over 100%

I still need a good replacement for uTorrent, Adobe Photoshop, Konnekt, foobar2000 (Listen is pretty nice though) and a few others that I havn't actually searched for yet (Notepad++).
    you want rTorrent. trust me, checking file hashes is cpu intensive enough with a friggin gui to worrie about. plus you can run it in another user space....

For Photoshop, all i can say is stop being a pansy and learn gimp(joking).
    Seriously though, jumping in the deep end is the best way to deal with obsticales in the future....for I had the same attitude about the interface, and when i realised that I dont really need the things that photoshop gives me, for I am not creating stuff for print on RIP printers and so-forth, neither am i creating stuff for CMYK production, so GIMP is perfect, you just need to rearrange a few neurons and engage that wonderful adapability thingy trait that humans have used to get this far in life. check it out ....adapting its a great concept.
    if you really have to have photoshop, get crossoverfoffice, apprently it allows photoshop to work flawlessly in linux. but im used to inkscape and gimp now....so much so taht photoshop is unusable for me.....lol

foobar2000, welllll XMMS?......or you can install wine, and get foobar going, i had no problems whatsoever getting winamp 2.95 running, maaaannnnn i even had the AVS studio cranking.....which i absolutly looooveee (blursk fir xmms doesn't cut it.). so yeah if i can get winamp going, then you shouldn;t have many problems getting foobar going.

next up notepad++, In fact i used this prog when i could'nt get it together with linux....but i'd much rather use emEditor, except its a commercial product...but kicks ****..!! anyway, some alternatives are : bluefish (1st choice), Nvu, Screem, Leafpad, Nano or as a last resort Gedit.
    Many will tel you to use gedit, but it takes awhole minute to load up, whereas leafpad.....just like notepad for windows except it has line numbering, and boots up fast.

When uTorrent and Konnekt (will never happen) get ported, I wi
    ll definitely switch 100% and maybe try using GIMP (I hate the GUI )
    not sure waht Konnect is...a instant messanger? but you want to check out rTorrent. there is a post here somewhere that steps you through the process of installing it.8)

Am installing Apache, PHP, Mysql atm so I can hopefully continue developing my websites on Linux, I have noticed a few problems with fonts and font sizes in terms of the CSS
    Excellent, i suggest you look at drupal 4.7 rc2...its the roxors...lol

im have a fair abount of experience with websites using html and css and javascript, in fact i recently jumped back into javascripting this time using the prototype library, or the mochikit.....but yeah i noticed a few differences.

This is mainly because, your fonts arent the same as the ones you get with windows, get a font viewer...download the msfonts package and examine the linux and windows one in a font viewer to see the exact differences....

tip: instead of
    Code:
    .className{
     font-family:Arial;
    }
    make sure you put

Code:
    .className{
     font-family:arial, sans-serif;
    }
    trying to control 100% of the visual appearance of a html page is heading towards the realms of diminishing returns.....once you acknowledge the amount of effort you have to go through just to accomodate IE, you quickly find that better time could be spent on making it actually usable in all browsers instead of making it look hot-damn in only one browser....
    Its a concern of mine since i make websites for the non-profit community, which often include organistations centered around disabilities, soooo making a site usable is my first concern.

hope that helps, not aiming to offend here...just passionate about my new toy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

ohh and the difference of appearance when it comes to fonts on windows and linux, becomes more apparent when you start basing element widths and heights and font sizes on EM's.

and em is a unit of measurement that is relative to the current font-set.

so if your sick of site layouts where text content keeps bleeding over the edge into never never land.....investigate using EMs......

ohh also, you can tie the value of 1em to 10px by specifying a font-size of 10px on the BODY element.

Page 102 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202602 ... LastLast