Page 406 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 306356396404405406407408416456506906 ... LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,060 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

As I no longer have a job writing .NET apps purely for Windows (I left my internship), I no longer have any real reason to keep Windows, but I'll keep it anyway - I spent quite a bit of time making my installation very Linuxy (cygwin, Tango icons, etc.).
    It's already been over a month since I last used it anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by volaer View Post
    I think almost 95-98% of whatever windows can do, is also possible in UBUNTU. But definitely, not all UBUNTU things can be done by windows.

I've been using UBUNTU for a month now, and I am really enjoying this a lot. And I have everything I need in here including the things that you mentioned.

God bless.
    Agreed... There are more things I can do with Ubuntu than I can do with XP.

1) boot so fast that I will actually stay at the computer and wait for it to boot.

2) not worry about making sure my antivirus is up to date and then wait an extra minute at every boot for that to happen.

3) firewall is set and forget. guarddog doesn't ask me questions.

4) have my all my system update in a few clicks. oh, and just upgrade when I ask it to and not want to restart after the upgrade. can windows do this? nope. Oh, and its software doesn't ask to restart after updating either. Half the programs I install in windows want to restart to computer to work. Really? Why can't a dll just be made active?

5) not have my software or system obsoleted by a new release. have you ever tried to upgrade windows? what a nightmare. okay, w2k to XP went sort of okay.

6) have a cool looking system that doesn't look like everyone else's.

7) shutdown so fast that I don't need to go do something else before packing up my laptop. what is windows constantly needing to do when I shut down? just shut down... NOW because I asked it to.

8) Not have to have this struggle after an update: "No, I don't want to restart my computer now... no, not now.... no, stop it. I am working on something. shut up! Stop asking me to reboot!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I've completely gone over to Ubuntu on the laptop I primarily use. I mainly use the internet, some Windows (which seem to work in Wine), and OpenOffice for school projects (or sometimes Microsoft Office, which also works in Wine). I do have another laptop exclusively with Windows on it, but only for phone modding or flashing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

i use debian for my servers, ubuntu for my laptop or non-server desktops. i "acquired" xp just for internet exploder cause the military doesnt like FF or linux. and i only use xp to game those games i cant play on wine, partially because they just work better with xp.

Debian is the best thing ive found for my servers, music sharing, file sharing, printer sharing, and such. most debian derivitaves are sweet, ie, ubuntu, dsl, knoppix, meppis. i also love debian because it has almost everything FREE. i dont need to pay for customer support that sucks because i have a huge knowledge base here from dedicated deb fans and developers. debian is also frackin' stable. 5 releases in its life, yeah, if you can last 5 releases, thats a hell of a life, not like suse or rh, where their versions are like 11 or 8 or somthing.

but i love linux cause its just easier to program and customize. there is so much you can do its amazing. i learn new stuff everyday, things i do, or things i read. its not for the light hearted but its a challenge for those looking for one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I keep one PC with Win XP only for doing income taxes (TurboTax) once a year. Other than that, I use Ubuntu exclusively. I'm not a gamer, so that is not an issue.

Beans

Arrow Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I've just discovered Ubuntu a couple of months ago and spent most of my time on it.

I have dual-booting and have to switch to XP for voice and Video chat.

Ubuntu 8.10 is so fast, stable and very cool looking. Very user friendly. Installation and to Uninstall various programs is a breeze.
    Ubuntu Darkroom with Gmail dark colored themes very pleasing to the eye.

God bless these nice people who are spreading opportunity for free.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thumbs down Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I don't game, so I can't comment there. I got frustrated for the umpteenth time last week with my VistaHomePremium and about the same time I read an article in Laptop magazine that mentioned ubuntu. Took me about 10 minutes to download to my Toshiba Sattelite and then took me two days to figure out how to burn an Image! LoL! I played with the LiveCD for about two days and then spent another day backing all my data up (music, pictures, photos, etc). I then downloaded and installed PartitionLogic and started to shrink my Vista partition from 76GB down to about 60GB. The plan was to make ubuntu the primary and the Vista the alternate. Somewhere along the line I screwed it all up totally and ended up with a 698MB OS (ubuntu) on an 80GB HDD. As soon as I realized what I'd done, I went ahead with the permanent install of ubuntu and haven't looked back since! My machine absolutely SCREAMS in comparison to how it ran last week. While I downloaded some of my more rare musical recordings, I lost probably around 10 or 15GB of music....I'm sure it's out there floating around on my HDD somewhere in never-never-land and one of these days I'll figure out how to go look for it (got any suggestions?), but I've been 100% ubuntu for about 4 days now and I've NEVER been happier with a computer!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I've just said goodbye to windows for the last time last night.
    The only two things keeping me booting to windows was video editing(adobe product) and quickbooks. Thankfully I was really only utilizing quickbooks for invoice generation. I hated the way it handled my high res company logo when I would print to pdf to forward to a client.

I now use Cinelerra faithfully, (just had to get used to it) and redid my invoice template on open office3 calc. It looks better than it ever did in quickbooks might I add!

I've been running Ubuntu Studio 8.10 and after tweeking it a bit, I absolutely love it!

Bye Bill Gates! Bye Steve Jobs! Keep your products, expensive apps and most of all, your registry!

Ubuntu baby!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Exclamation Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Art View Post
    I have dual-booting and have to switch to XP for voice and Video chat.

WHY DON'T YOU INSTALL SKYPE?????
    (sudo apt-get install skype)

Beans

I have so totally "switched", that I have formatted my MacBook, (my only laptop), and have installed Ubuntu exclusively on it!

Page 406 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 306356396404405406407408416456506906 ... LastLast