Page 930 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 430830880920928929930931932940980 ... LastLast
Results 9,291 to 9,300 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Hi folks,

I'm new on GNU/Linux, 1 month, I come with Steam to stay for a long time.

My PC only run Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS x64, I'm delighted with Unity.

Now I'm playing indie games.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kibosh81 View Post
    That being said, The powerbook has been a very difficult battle. As of now I have tried several distros on it with mixed results but keep ending up with Lubuntu although even that is sub-par on PPC..... Time to pitch it I think.
    Vector Linux runs great on low-resource hardware. I just don't know if they do power pc. I've run it on a pentium-200mHz with 200M of ram, and it performs great.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

As much as I would love to only use Linux, I got software in windows that I do still need to run, CAD software comes to mind. Games too, WIne can do only so much . However, I am now hooked with Linux, it is a really neat OS and what is cool about is that it is open source, people get to collaborate with each other in a more group effort.

Also, there are so many distros, that it is cool to choose from any one of them if one is so inclined, with WIndows, there are limited options.

Beans

I have also switched to Linux. I am going to get rid of Windows completely someday.

I totally love Linux and I would never look back. All I need to do now is Google for a way to triple install for Linux rather than dual boot as there are a number of Linux distros that I want to install and use.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you mean a computer that only boots Linux, I have two. A file server and this desktop. However, I have Virtualbox with several windows machines installed.

There is just some software in windows that Linux just doesn't have a competitor for. For me, its software for my Bible and for Ham Radio.

As for the file server, It is a work in progress, slow progress, I might add. I am not a computer guru with Linux. I am more than an appliance operator, but I still have a long way to go to consider myself a power user in Linux.
    Main WS: Compaq Presario/Athelon X2 4450e Dual Core/3GB RAM/G-Force 210 64bit 1024k RAM Monitors: Compaq WF 1907 & Vizio M220VA --- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
    UbuntuGuide Help Ubuntu

Beans

started using Ubuntu last month from a chromebook. Always used windows before that.

Beans
    Distro

I successfully installed two versions of Ubuntu with Windows on one computer. I used two drives. One had windows and Ubuntu and the other had just Ubuntu, but all three were in Grub, I just had to choose which one to boot each time.

I have also been successful installing additional Linux distros on an external USB HDD. I generally used the BIOS boot options to choose to boot from it when I wanted to. I don't believe those ever got incorporated into the GRUB on my internal boot drives.

What I have not been successful with is having a single Linux system on an external HDD that can be moved to and from different computers. It would be nice to carry a pocket drive with me that I could plug into a computer at work, or at a friend's house and have my complete system, software, and data with me.
    Main WS: Compaq Presario/Athelon X2 4450e Dual Core/3GB RAM/G-Force 210 64bit 1024k RAM Monitors: Compaq WF 1907 & Vizio M220VA --- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
    UbuntuGuide Help Ubuntu

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by n4pgw View Post
    What I have not been successful with is having a single Linux system on an external HDD that can be moved to and from different computers. It would be nice to carry a pocket drive with me that I could plug into a computer at work, or at a friend's house and have my complete system, software, and data with me.
    I have. You need to install the boot loader in the external drive.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    I have. You need to install the boot loader in the external drive.
    Thank you.

Rather than hijack this thread with further questions, I'll start a new thread.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...9#post12527179

Thank you again
    Buck
    UbuntuGuide Help Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I have wiped out Windows partitions month ago,
    since I haven't booted into XP for very long time
    and using NTFS partitions for my data seems awkward

Page 930 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 430830880920928929930931932940980 ... LastLast