Page 93 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143193593 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I started Linux with Kubuntu about three weeks ago and it's been dragging me away from Winblows ever since. I brought my Linux box to our "all-Winblows" company and gave up my Windows box already. I think this was the fastest transition!

I'm a Winblows pro and a real Linux noob, but I like the challenge of "getting things to work", so help me god
    Me likes Kubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

"Completely"? hm... well I guess I haven't completely done that, since I still run Windows under VMware... but Windows isn't installed 'natively' on any machine I own or run (all virtual).

I'm not much of a gamer, but I have to keep Windows (or at least keep it around on VMware) because I need it for some work-related things. But the number of times that I boot it up decreases every month ...

Just a quick off-topic comment: I've been running Linux for years (started with RedHat 3 and Kernel 1.2!). and I've used just about every Linux distribution out there. Most recently, I was a Gentoo / KDE user (both 32-bit and 64-bit), but finally decided to see what all the excitement was about with Ubuntu (plus, I just got tired of compiling everything and constantly tweeking my computer for this or that, I just don't have the time anymore). I'm very very impressed, both with Ubuntu and Gnome. The balance of speed, ease of use, and everything just 'working' out of the box has been stellar, and in fact, this is the best distribution that I've ever put on a laptop. I had to do very little post-install fiddling to get things working, and for that I give a big THUMBS UP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I am using linux ubuntu alot more. ave been using it on and off on different boxs for a few months and i like it.
    so soon the time will come i think of giving xp the shuve. poor bill gates aye hehe
    Philips Freevents X56 - Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8, 1GB Ram, 70GB Hard Drive - Ubuntu Edgy

Beans

I switched completely. In 1999.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

i switched in 2000. To BeOS, then.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I've just recently installed a dual-boot of Kubuntu on my XP laptop, but I've been using various forms of Linux on (expendable) machines for at least four years. I started off with RedHat 7 I believe and also tried Mandrake 9 and 10 (haven't tried Mandriva). Mandrake gave me constant trouble with X's monitor drivers (i ended up going to a garage sale to get a monitor) and RedHat didn't do anything for me. I tried SuSE and liked it pretty well but like on all of the previous distros i could not get my wireless adaptor to work. Then I met Knoppix. I put in the liveCD booted up modprobed the card and it just worked. Unfortunatley in subsequent versions of knoppix the drivers seem to have been removed. Then I acquired this laptop which had a fresh reinstall of XP in it. I used XP for about a month when I discovered Ubuntu. I made a liveCD and it worked with my internal card. Then I started to consider installing Ubuntu permanently. I chose Kubuntu because I had used KDE alot in previous distros so it was the one I was most familiar with. I couldn't be happier and haven't booted up XP in about a week. The only problems are that I installed the linux vers of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and it lagged quite a bit and that the system settings window is really messed up in its sizing. I may install Wolf:ET again now that I have improved my network to see if it works better.

Flak

Beans

last time i booted into windows i just sat there with a blank look on my face thinking what am i doing in here

Beans

Since I installed Unbuntu, I only use Windows for work.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Still got a Windows parititon as i was using it for Madden 06. Now Cedega supports it i have no need for Windows at all now.

Oh i do use it for Firewire DV capture because it seems my onboard (EPoX 8RDA+ mobo) doesnt work under linux.

But i can just buy an external card for that and totally dump windows....hmm must do that this weekend

Beans

http://k7jo.de/8rda+/ is the address where you can get newest non-official bioses for 8rda+. In my case, until I flashed it to newest unofficial version, my sound was conflicting with my keyboard in windows. In Ubunutu 5.10 everything seems ok...

But I really can't "dump" windows yet... there are reasons, and i'm tired to write 'em now

Page 93 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143193593 ... LastLast