Page 899 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 399799849889897898899900901909949999 ... LastLast
Results 8,981 to 8,990 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by Euph0ria View Post
    "Plants vs. Zombies" isn't a *real* game. May as well be solitaire, if you know what I mean.

And actually I believe there is software available that you can push it up to DX10 or so by running it all through OpenGL. Never went that far because I've never had the need, but I've read about it, and was careful looking at my OpenGL/OpenCL specs when buying my graphics cards with that in mind, if I were to some day find the need/desire to do so. I think there is a commercial fork of PlayOnLinux, also aimed at Mac users, so they can attempt to play some of the PC titles. Been awhile though, forgot what it's called.
    Sure, it's not a triple A title but that doesn't mean it runs easily on Linux, it's still a Windows game. When I tried it before under Ubuntu 10.10 sound would just stop playing after a while and now it runs perfect so Wine makes progress. Therefore more chance of running (especially older) Windows games on Linux. Great to read DX10 stuff might work too.

Beans

Nice Question. I love Linux (because it is virus free). I am Linux user since 2009.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Ermie View Post
    Nice Question. I love Linux (because it is virus free). I am Linux user since 2009.

Well plz correct me if i am wrong but i feel there is nothing called "Virus free"
    No one can stop you if you yourself wish to jump in fire. But for several factors (it would be too much to describe here, one can find it on several websites) it is relatively difficult for a linux machine to get infected, unless one foolishly or intentionally wishes to cut his own throat.

Beans

3 of 4 computers are Linux based. I got my start with 10.04.

Beans

I use Ubuntu for 2 years)
    Yesterday smth. happened with my PC and with X-server, I think. And no one distributive can't work. It's a tragedy for me. I can't go back to Windows as a main system. I tried to fix my PC already two days, but useless(
    So this two days I ought to use my 10" laptop) It's not convinient, but it's better than using Windows))
    I also have and Windows on my PC. But I use it only for Photoshop. And little by little I try to use Gimp)

Beans

I caught Ubuntu recently ( not month ago ) and I won't left it ( look not easy ) . 99% of the software I used is only for Windows .
    is there way by what I can use them under uBuntu ? all seem ok even with some difficulty yet but better is on way...

Beans

dgib...WINE is an emulator that permits one to run quite a few ******* applications..it is in the software center.

Been running different XFCE distros for quite a few years. Actually the whole family runs Linux. Gave up windows due to the constant stability issues. We find Xubuntu to be nicely polished and very stable. If I can run and learn it at 63 yrs of age anyone can. Trying to teach myself python as well and its a lot of fun!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mistergil View Post
    dgib...WINE is an emulator that permits one to run quite a few ******* applications..it is in the software center.

Been running different XFCE distros for quite a few years. Actually the whole family runs Linux. Gave up windows due to the constant stability issues. We find Xubuntu to be nicely polished and very stable. If I can run and learn it at 63 yrs of age anyone can. Trying to teach myself python as well and its a lot of fun!!
    wine is not an emulator. that is what wine stands for . just had to throw that out there.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mistergil View Post
    Trying to teach myself python as well and its a lot of fun!!
    Me too) I run free on-line course in University of Toronto) It's very interesting

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I try to use Ubuntu for most stuff. I was never a Windows user really however - I have a five year old MacBook that I now use for recording TV programmes and films which links by wifi to a Sony Media server connected to the TV.

I will probably try to move this to Linux in the future, though so far the functionality and ease of use of the purchased Eye TV software for the Mac is superior to anything I have found on linux. So having bought it some time ago, I will keep using it for now.

Linux is great for mainstream desktop stuff (by which I mean email, browsing, office, playing music and so on), but once you go away from this there always seem to be under the bonnet issues that require investigation to make them work. And there isn't always time or the necessary knowledge. For example I can't get Me-TV to work on Ubuntu 12-04 and in any case editing out commercials is a real struggle in Openshot. I will have a look at Lightworks when that arrives on Ubuntu, but I wonder if that will be overkill when all I want to do is edit out commercials from recorded films.

For me Ubuntu is the most rounded linux version available - and I have introduced a few people to it. They would probably run a mile if confronted with the command line - but these are the kind of people that Ubuntu needs if it is to outgrow the hobbyist/enthusiast sector or the corporate/supported sector.

So I think more of the software needs to be accessible for these users and work out of the box. It sounds good to have thousands of programs included in the software centre, but the core of things that "just work" and which are supported directly by Ubuntu developers maybe needs to expand. The software centre is often more than not just confusing without some technical understanding - and it should be possible to set it up so that CLI programs can be hidden.

Importing CDs is another case in point. Sound juicer is the recommended program for ripping CDs, but it can only get data for less than 50% of my CDs (whether or not you are a fan of iTunes, its online database gets a 100% hit when retrieving data). So I use Asunder to rip CDs as it uses a different database and has a better hitrate for retrieving data. But Asunder can't (as far as I can see) be set up as a preferred application. There is always some little thing...
    Last edited by ld114; September 27th, 2012 at 02:44 AM.

Page 899 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 399799849889897898899900901909949999 ... LastLast