Page 4 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 234561454104504 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Ubuntu is on my laptop, my parents' computer (which I have to administer), and I have a dual-boot setup with Windows XP and Ubuntu. I only use Ubuntu at home, and my wife only uses Windows.

I would probably be tempted to use Windows to print photos if I first have trouble with Linux, which I have in the past.

Oh, and I use Windows at work. No choice about that.

Beans

I wish I could move all the way to Linux. I would give up my CS Source addiction if I didn't need windows for one thing: DVD Shrink. I haven't found anything on
    Linux that is close, and I haven't found a way for it to work in Wine/Crossover. Soon as DVD copying is automated in Linux like it is in Windows, I'll burn that partition.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poofyhairguy
    I wish I could move all the way to Linux. I would give up my CS Source addiction if I didn't need windows for one thing: DVD Shrink. I haven't found anything on
    Linux that is close, and I haven't found a way for it to work in Wine/Crossover. Soon as DVD copying is automated in Linux like it is in Windows, I'll burn that partition.
    dvd::rip might work well for you.
    Cheerful Ghost - build your game list, write about awesome games and share that with the world. join us!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    (yes -- I did wipe Fedora yesterday... BURN IN HELL)
    LoL. Fedora Core 3 is on my girlfriends laptop because:

A. She loves KDE

B. She doesn't consider Ubuntu's screensaver collection to be acceptable.

But I still have to admin it. Last night I tried for hours getting a media player to work, and getting her Ipod to work with Fedora- no success If Ubuntu ever gets better KDE support, I'll switch it out some night when she's asleep!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jdodson
    dvd::rip might work well for you.

Thanks for the advice. That is a fine program, but the biggest thing DVD Shrink does for me is perfectly compress huge DVD movie in order to fit them on consumer grade DVDrs. Many programs try to compress DVDs, but only Shrink's results are completely watchable.

I have recently (yesterday) found out that if I rip dvd's with dvd:rip than I can compress the files with DVD Shrink using the newest Crossover (I would prefer if Shrink would rip the disk too, but that is merely for convience).

If DVD Burning Support increases in Hoary (I just can't get K3B installed on the current Hoary without nuking my install), I will probably get to ditch windows!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poofyhairguy
    Thanks for the advice. That is a fine program, but the biggest thing DVD Shrink does for me is perfectly compress huge DVD movie in order to fit them on consumer grade DVDrs. Many programs try to compress DVDs, but only Shrink's results are completely watchable.

I have recently (yesterday) found out that if I rip dvd's with dvd:rip than I can compress the files with DVD Shrink using the newest Crossover (I would prefer if Shrink would rip the disk too, but that is merely for convience).

If DVD Burning Support increases in Hoary (I just can't get K3B installed on the current Hoary without nuking my install), I will probably get to ditch windows!
    i have heard that a lot on these forums, and so i gave dvd shrink a try. i have to admit, it does a good job.
    Cheerful Ghost - build your game list, write about awesome games and share that with the world. join us!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jdodson
    i have heard that a lot on these forums, and so i gave dvd shrink a try. i have to admit, it does a good job.

I've tried the pay-for programs, it works better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by gabbman
    My main box has been windows free for 2+ years.

The only thing I thought I'd miss is a linux version of Quicken. I tried many things to compensate for this from win4lin to codeweavers.

Instead of reinventing the wheel, it was easier to site in front of OO spreadsheet and design a budget and financial tracking template. Which has been a lot easier for me to plan and track, and more personalized for me then quicken ever was. Online banking can be done from any browser in my case so that was never a need in Quicken for me, just a convienience.
    I used to use quicken until I found out about moneydance. It is a GREATE java based personal finance software. Also, the new crossover office 4.0 is out with lots of improvements ... it says they support quicken.

Quote Originally Posted by gabbman
    Gaming may be a whole new ball game. (or obsession)

I think if you are 'thinking' about going windowless, you are ready, JUST DO IT and learn to have fun.
    Ya ... I play contantly on XBOX Live anyway. I find it is much more fun online because I totally love the people interaction. I mean ... sure you have teamspeak and roger wilco on the PC, but not very many people use it ... and if you do get lots of people it isnt supported by the game so its hard to have actual team strategizing because the game can't cut off voice communication for people on the other side. Also there is no support for online buddies in any game. For example I cannot play doom3 and be notified if I want to start a game of ut2004 because an internet buddy wants to play ... must rely on other things like AIM (which I turn off in gaming anyway) or giving out phone number.

In contrast, mostly everyone has voice communications on XBOX Live, the game can control who can talk to who and there is a global buddy list for all games letting you know if a friend wants to play what game, net scoring and actual clan match support and scheduling.

So with all of this .... I NEVER use my PC for gaming anyway and rely on my console for the net gaming fun.

I have switched from using Gentoo to Ubuntu Linux and have been using it heavily ever since hoary was usable. viva Ubuntu, viva xbox live! LOL

Beans
    Hidden!

I was done with Windows back in April. I was sick and tired of the constant updating just to protect your PC from viruses and spyware. Besides the fact that the whole operating system was a piece of crap to begin with and very insecure. I'm not into PC gaming, so Linux is fine with me. I do basic Internet functions and I like to download and burn CD's. But, the only thing that I really haven't been able to do in Linux that I could have easily accomplished with Windows is burning VCDs. It's just so damn complicated that I really haven't bothered with it. With Windows, I would load up Nero, let it convert my files and burn the disc. I also liked to burn emulators for my Dreamcast, which is another thing I cannot do with Linux. Oh, and I used Windows as a video editing platform with my Dazzle DVC USB capture card. I can't do that with Linux because I cannot find the module or program that can detect the capture card and actually capture video with it. Other than those pet peeves, I'm loving this Linux thing.

Linux needs a killer app like Nero. K3B is good, but it not as good as Nero. Since I've migrated to Gnome from KDE when I installed Ubuntu about a month and a half ago, I've been using X CD Roast to burn my data/audio CD's.

The best part about Ubuntu: my mother can get on-line to check her e-mail and surf the web without any help from me. I don't have to worry about her opening a malicious link in an e-mail or downloading some spyware crap or contracting something through ActiveX. For my mother, everything just works.
    Last edited by beeldings; December 4th, 2004 at 05:41 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by beeldings
    Linux needs a killer app like Nero. K3B is good, but it not as good as Nero. Since I've migrated to Gnome from KDE when I installed Ubuntu about a month and a half ago, I've been using X CD Roast to burn my data/audio CD's.
    I agree: Nero is definatly something Windows has that Linux doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by beeldings
    The best part about Ubuntu: my mother can get on-line to check her e-mail and surf the web without any help from me. I don't have to worry about her opening a malicious link in an e-mail or downloading some spyware crap or contracting something through ActiveX. For my mother, everything just works.
    Amen. My mother love Billy Gates (for his business stragedies) but I get sick of fixing her windows box everytime I see her. So I'm begining a slow migration to Linux:

Step 1: Get her to use open source software on windows. I've installed Firefox, Open Office. I hope to think of more.

Step 2: Set up a linux install one night that looks like windows (so I guess KDE) but has this software she already knows on the desktop.

Step 3: Enjoy going home again.

Page 4 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 234561454104504 ... LastLast