Page 957 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 457857907947955956957958959967 ... LastLast
Results 9,561 to 9,570 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I have been using only Ubuntu now for maybe four years. I last encounter with a MS product was when Vista ate my laptop disk. That did it for me and I broke the habit of using any MS PRODUCT.

Beans

I kicked Windows to the curb in 1998, I was so fed up with Windows 95. There were several times that I came close to lobbing that $2,000 computer off my balcony. When Windows 98 came out and Microsoft announced that there were 3,000 bugs (IIRC) in Windows 95 so everyone needed to upgrade, I did, I upgraded to RedHat Linux. I'm proud to say I've been Microsoft free for 15 years.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 8Qnf0bne View Post
    List the cards as I don't believe a word of the above
    Try an ASUS MB M5 A99X EVO

then take back your quote quickly I have no patience for unfounded claims.

---
    I do whatever it takes to make any computer system do exactly what I want the way I want it. I will change open source, patch, build from source as many times as needed to get it right. But when a vendor does not give me access the source of their broken code I will stop using their junk.

Beans

Linux/Ubuntu fan for +5y, using Win7 only at work. I miss Windows only because of gaming ...maybe PS4 could make me less nostalgic

Beans

My Desktop is a Toy, toys run windows, thats okay.
    My laptop runs linux, a toy os doesnt have either a tiling wm nor the alt+number that unity offers (its the same reason why, to me, kde is a toy DE) not to mention virtual desktops thats why i need a real OS on the machine i work with.
    I have windows installed though because with Visual Studio the toy-OS becomes a work OS.

Seriously, windows is fine and unless u dont like nonfree software or having to pay for it theres no reason to not use it on a Desktop. It lacks on mobile devices and laptops though.

Beans

I used a Windows side by side with Fedora for a while, then I used it side by side with Ubuntu and then Windows crashed and took Ubuntu with it. It just wasn't worth the time and money. I once spent 36 hours trying to bring back Windows from a virus to no avail. I realized I hated Windows with a white-hot fury. I finally just just did an Ubuntu only install and I've never regretted it. I still have problems from time to time but they're solvable and I learn stuff. I really like Terminal mode and given a choice will use it instead of the desktop. I'm a happy camper.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

I did. Since 2010. My little kids know only Linux at home (they use windows at school - unfortunately), but I am sure that they will feel comfortable to use Linux when they get older.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have been using various distros of ubuntu since 2006. I don't use Windows at all - HOWEVER I am now trying to use Sketchup and can't get it to run properly under Wine. It runs seamlessly on my wife's Window-driven laptop, but of course she refuses to let me use it for more than a few minutes!
    Acer Aspire 5735, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD + 2x2TB Seagate Expansion Drives

Beans

Hello Quake, ):P

I too am a gamer at heart not a programmer. With issues I faced with Windows 7 (arguably the best OS Microsoft has released since 2000/XP), I decided to jump the Microsoft ship. I am progressively learning the Linux system as I did the Microsoft system, in a novice way. I despise Apple. So to even consider buying and using an OS X system would be "sleeping with the enemy".

I am an open-source minded person, which is a key reason I despise newly Microsoft and Apple. Both Microsoft and Apple have the same goal, who can make the most money (who doesn't want to do that anymore?). However, both companies use different avenues to achieve their goal. Microsoft is a mass production system. Instead of perfecting the Microsoft systems, the devs choose the route that makes the most money and the fastest. Apple has the idea of proprietary goods, what I like to call Lock-down mode. Creating a well-thought out product and label, tag and patent all they design. This creates a great product, however disables itself to limited creativity and customizable features. Linux has two base ideas, free-ware and community.

Everyone has a right to free software, which is a reason I switched to the Linux system. Not because I am a "penny-pincher", but rather I believe in the idea of a community that produces for itself. The fellowship of expert and apprentice. If an error or complication arises one can run to the forums and there will be help if not an answer. Even with a free-ware based market Linux seems to stay around. Why is this? Through my brief experience, there are many countries that have a Linux based system for their government and military defenses, China and Russia to mention two. Also, many systems have a Unix base. Another reason is because of donations, not mandatory payments. Lastly, some applications do require payment. Small discrepancy, right? With Linux there is a community not a board of directors. Linux seems to have a homeostasis relationship rather than a parasitic relationship.

Gaming, as we all know, is not fully supported with the Linux system. Only certain engines are designed for this system. However, as Linux Gamers know, devs are starting to make a Linux push. For example, Valve (Steam) has added support for Linux devs. That is another reason why I support Linux. The more people that make the move to Linux and affect the market numbers, the more likely there will be mainstream support for Linux. Hopefully, not to the point of Linux becoming fully commercialized. More to the point of pay once for a computer that has, say, Ubuntu pre-installed (which already exists) and a portion of the sale goes to the major Linux devs. But that would be in an idealistic world.

All that said Quake, this is why I am a newly supporter of the Linux system.

Over and Out,
    JROORBDSAONN
    (Listening to the LOTR Trilogy Soundtrack - epic) :-({|=

Beans

Ubuntu has my heart but the software I use to make music works on Windows, so I dual boot. That means I might not boot Windows for weeks if I am not working on the studio, and otherwise. Lately I am trying to move part of my studio into Ubuntu, learning how to work in Ardour. But I think I will have to keep Windows around as LinuxMultiMediaStudio, although promising, is not there yet, this is so for now, but that might very well change soon...

Page 957 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 457857907947955956957958959967 ... LastLast