Page 1 of 473 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by Quake
    I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.
    3 things keep me using xp on my laptop(however ubuntu is my main OS for everything else so i use my laptop very little):

my canon i850 printer.

no video editor that handles titles and audio track overlays that i have gotten to work yet. i tried kino, its really great, but no titles or audio overlay. i am thinking of creating cinerellia deb packages when i get that to work, just have not had the time.

alsa is not supported on my sound card(cause it sucks) so i use audacity on my win machine. this will be remidied when i get a new comp as i will purchase a creative labs audigy line card(which is supported in alsa so i can do sound recording).

the games thing is moot at this point for me because ut2004 is native linux and war3 run great in cedega. WOW runs good in cedega and if i ever want to play HL2 that will be supported better in the future. i mostly play blizzard titles, neverwinter nights(linux ported) and ut2004 and free games like frozen bubble.

i think over time my problems will diminish, the video editor problem will go away as kino gets more features or as i get another program working well. games will eventually be ported to linux in greater number and my printer..... well we shall see on that one.
    Cheerful Ghost - build your game list, write about awesome games and share that with the world. join us!

Beans

I compleatly use Ubuntu. I started using linux in 2002(I think), with redhat 8

~Alan
    I was a World before I was a Man;
    I was a Beast before I could Stand;
    I will remember before I forget. BEFORE I FORGET! ~Slipknot

Beans
    Hidden!

I have never used windows XP. Seeing screenshots on the net, it looks awful! (So ugly and tacky that it seems to hold your attention - like not being able to look away from a mother scolding her children.)

I used to have win98 but I got rid of that in 2002. I first started with mandrake and it made me want to vomit. Debian Woody was released and I installed that. Six months later, it was the only OS on my copmuters.

When someone asks me to install linux on their computer, I instal Ubuntu because I am sick and tired of aswering everyone's questions. Ubuntu just works - or requires only minimal tweaking.

I can't say anything about dvd or video playing since I do not use my computer for that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I haven't booted Windows for four months.

I play UT2K4, Q3, D3, SNES ROMS, and Frozen Bubble. I stay entertained.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zenwhen

I want to play Counter-Strike on Ubuntu but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to find an installer for Linux.
    Oh yeah, I haven't used Windows since November.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by zenwhen

hhaha, sounds like a support group thing to say. "I've stayed off windows for four months," as the kid scratches at his arm and his eyes hold bloodshot.

i was ubuntu-only for about a month or two, but i wanted to play some of the games i owned and so i put windows back on. but i really only use it to play games. ubuntu is my main os though.

nevin.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Talking Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by zenwhen View Post

My name Shua and I have been M$ free for 2 months now. I have accepted that in the past I have been week, and that each day is a chance to change. My addiction to spending too much of my and my family's income on a product that never satisfies has hurt those around me and in turn the greater population. For that
    I'm sorry. I'll say it again...

I'M SORRY!

With your support I can become strong again. It has been two gratifying months since my last M$ 'Boot' and I am a proud survivor.
    My only hope is that others will follow, and become clean, free and most of all, have there cup of UBUNTU and drink it too!

Thanks for your support.

Shua

Beans
    Hidden!

I have used Ubuntu exclusively for over 3 years on our main home computer. We have XP on an older Dell and I'm here to tell you Windows just doesn't rate. Every few months on the xp machine I have to spend a minimum 5 hours of downtime defragging, running registry tools, getting rid of spyware/viruses and other associated bloatware. I got to the point that if I run norton speed disk at 8pm, forget about using that computer again that night. All so that windows approaches the speed and reliability of the Ubuntu box.

To maintain Ubuntu, I just run the updates every week or so (about 15minutes), thats it, thats all. I shut down the system at night and when I turn it on the next day, it boots as fast and runs as fast as the first day I installed.

If I could get rid of xp, believe me I would, but my wife is a teacher, and her report card software only runs on windows. <sigh>

Count me as a true Ubuntu fan.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zenwhen View Post

I switched over two week ago and love it. Feels good work with something that is not costing me a tonne of cash for licencing antiviruses and buying programs. I believe that people will turn away from Microsoft and join in with linux Not all people but a lot. I can not believe how easy it was to load Ubuntu right over XP and worked without a glitch "yet" I am here to stay. If something doesnt work. The forum has the correct answer or yuo can find it fast. I am enjoying Ubuntu.

Page 1 of 473 1231151101 ... LastLast