Page 980 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 480880930970978979980981982990 ... LastLast
Results 9,791 to 9,800 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Home / APT set-up

Sever Proliant Xenon 4-Core - Ubuntu 15.04
    Desktop - Vostro Intel Core i5 Ubuntu 14.04.3
    Desktop - Acer - Dual-Boot Win 10 \ Ubuntu 14.04.3
    Laptop - Dell Latitude CPi-A 400Mhz 256Mgs RAM - Madbox Ubuntu 14.10 (yes the specs are correct)
    Laptop - Dell Inpiron - Lubuntu 15.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Up until a week ago I was using Windows + Visual Studios for making programs and websites for clients. I really, really liked Visual Studios, it is very easy to use to develop various things on but I had just had enough of Microsoft's "The User is a Stupid Cow So We Must Control Their OS and Their Computer to Keep Them Safe From Themselves" mentality. I think the straw that broke the camels back was when I woke up and the icon for upgrading to Windows 10 was in my taskbar and I hadn't installed any updates in like a week or so. That really got me hot. So I found out which update that was then un-installed and hid it then after reading various articles, listening to users comments about Win10 and reading up on how to develop on the Linux platform, I decided I wasn't going to upgrade to Win10, I upgraded to Ubuntu instead.
    Last edited by brian-mccumber; August 23rd, 2015 at 07:23 PM.

yonnie is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Windows free for over a decade!
    Last edited by QIII; August 23rd, 2015 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Corrected typographical error to "Windows"

Beans

What I used to do was buy a Windows laptop then once it started bogging down and running slowly, I'd install Ubuntu to get some extra life out of it. I've been switching back and forth for some years now. First it was Vista, then Ubuntu 10.04, then Windows 8, then Ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04. I was planning on doing the same thing with Windows 10, but once I read up about it, I decided that it's going to be all linux all the time now and preferably open source too when I can manage it.

Now I just have to find the time to learn the guts of linux so I can start doing more with it.

Beans
    Distro

I've got a few too many Windows only games that I still enjoy to play. With that in mind, if a game I want to play is available in Linux, that is is the platform I usually play it on. For example, one of my all time favorite game series, Splinter Cell, is Windows only. Hell, even Diablo 3 is. But games like Torchlight 2 and, another all time favorite of mine, Doom 3, are natively available on Linux.

Really, gaming is about all that's keeping me from nuking my Windows 10 partition (that and new versions of Windows are fun to play with - I'm a geek at heart).
    System76 Lemur5 (64-bit) - Antergos
    Dell Dimension 4500 (32-bit) - Win XP Pro (Down)
    Gateway NV59C (64-bit) - Ubuntu Mate 16.04
    2014 Mac mini - Sierra

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I actually switched but then switched back to dual booting because I play games too.

Unfortunately some games I play just won't play on linux I wish they did.
    Thinks are certainly getting better continuously especially Steam etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I play games on my X-Box One & Playstation 4. I just use my Ubuntu-MATE box to troll ubuntuforums! Oh-Oh, ANOTHER flashing notification icon!
    This post is like Brigadoon!

Beans

I have Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (64 bit) and Windows 7 (64 bit) dual boot on my ssd hdd.

Also have linux wine installed to run apps that only run in windows.

99% of the time, I use Ubuntu.

I guess many windows games work using linux wine, but still nice having windows
    there just in case...

[edit] Linux wine - turn off the unity sidebar auto appears - b4 windows games playing under wine.

After soo after many years loving linux - I am still not 100% linux.

linux is best coding platform still..
    Last edited by David_Ramsay; October 14th, 2015 at 12:40 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 14.04 Trusty Tahr

No reason to get rid of windows if you need it for an app that has no linux equiv. There is a USPS Postal app that I use for shipping labels. It will not run on linux period. so I have a dual boot machine with Ubuntu Studio and Good Ol' Win XP Pro Sp3 just for that app. Other than using that program nothing else. I have an Acer C710-2847 Chromebook [4gig ram, 320gb HD] that I did a flash of the bios with Seabios Coreboot. After doing that I installed Lubuntu 14.04LTS. I love it. the machine is so fast and It does anything and everything a normal notebook can do.This model has a Intel celeron 847 dual core processor which is compatible with many programs for linux & windows. But the Arm processors are not. Every other computer I have runs linux or the ChromeOS (which is linux) Let me know if you decide to jump completely out of microsofts windows......... Peace

Beans
    Distro

My biggest hang is that National Instruments won't do NIDAQ or labview for ubuntu, only fedora.
    Otherwise, ubuntu for work and play since hardy except for some android till we see tablets around here.

Page 980 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 480880930970978979980981982990 ... LastLast