Page 978 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 478878928968976977978979980988 ... LastLast
Results 9,771 to 9,780 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I've been using KMyMoney for years and like it a lot. It's one of the reasons I stay with Ubuntu. I haven't used anything but Ubuntu for 3 years.
    Last edited by gpeck157; May 23rd, 2015 at 01:38 AM.

Beans

I'm still using windows for my primary OS since there's some job that only windows can do. SOmetimes switched to linux, change of pace

Beans

I've managed it for myself at home a couple of years ago. I've had a Shuttle running a RAID 1 for 7 years now. It has 1T disks and they both have failed, fortunately not at the same time. It is a music server for the house. I've had a Dell Mini 9 that came with Ubuntu I've had for about 5 or 6 years. A couple of years ago my larger ******* laptop croaked and I managed fine. If I needed specialized software it would be different.

I use Open Office Writer and save in .rtf and Word users can handle them. Gimp is adequate for pictures and Nightingale plays my music.

The only problem is my wife. She is smart but a total technophobe. She learned computers on early Windows and I put up with being the IT guy for hers and cleaning them up every few weeks.

Steve

Beans

Currently Xubuntu 14.04 for the last few months on my trusty old Compaq nx6110. I ran 12.04 for a couple of years previously and before that dabbled with Ubuntu and Xubuntu on my towers for a few years.
    I'm self-employed so I go for the reliability of the LTS versions. I feel more comfortable using it for invoicing and other work tasks than I ever did with any OS from the evil empire.

The only time I use Windows 7 is on my wife's latop to update my satnav.

Beans

I've used Ubuntu 10.10 as a kid for a few years. I switched to mint for high school due to the limited hardware I had available. I learned much from it. I tried Arch Linux and fell in love built my own twice. It falls apart and that is why I loved it, having to fix it over and over has shown me how it works. Well I took an old computer and made it a tablet But I can't get the eGalax touch screen to work in Ubuntu 14.4.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2244348 Is the post I found for my problem but no useful reply yet. If it works on Ubuntu I would like to stick around and help others in my spare time. If I get no help I plan to try something completely different. Maybe a Suse since I know nothing of it.

Beans
    Hidden!

I´ve dual-booted with ubuntu and windows for more than a couple of years, and a few months ago realised how tired I was waiting because of slow boot-ups and shutdowns. Also add unnecessary expenses for software. All I can ask myself is, ¨Why did I take this long to switch over?¨
    Last edited by MGrowl; July 7th, 2015 at 10:42 AM. Reason: typos

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I dual booted windows and linux for about 6 months, but I was hooked on linux after that. And down went windows. More disk space was much appreciated.

yonnie is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Been using/toying with Unix/Minux/Linux since the 70's. Part time w/Linux since ~93. Switched completely to Linux after a rootkit episode ~2004. Favorite current versions are PCLOS and Ubuntu, favorite desktop is KDE. Windows is not allowed in the house except on machines being repaired for others. The improvements over the years are impressive, especially with Ubuntu. There seems to be a flavor that will run on just anything and run well. Windows just laid-off 7k workers, wonder if Linux had anything to do with that? Sad to see people lose their jobs, but hey, we all know the company was based on stolen software in the first place, oh you can't ask the writer, he's dead. Wonder who pushed him down the stairs?
    Last edited by QIII; August 23rd, 2015 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Typographical error. s/b "Windows"

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by yonnie View Post
    Been using/toying with Unix/Minux/Linux since the 70's. Part time w/Linux since ~93. Switched completely to Linux after a rootkit episode ~2004. Favorite current versions are PCLOS and Ubuntu, favorite desktop is KDE. Windblows is not allowed in the house except on machines being repaired for others. The improvements over the years are impressive, especially with Ubuntu. There seems to be a flavor that will run on just anything and run well. Windblows just laid-off 7k workers, wonder if Linux had anything to do with that? Sad to see people lose their jobs, but hey, we all know the company was based on stolen software in the first place, oh you can't ask the writer, he's dead. Wonder who pushed him down the stairs?
    Who was this?

Buntu is great to get over the learning curve as is Arch Linux and to do both combined.

But anyone who's been doing this since the '70s would have his own distro.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I will have been a Linux user 12 years come September..I don't use Windows.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Page 978 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 478878928968976977978979980988 ... LastLast