Page 969 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 469869919959967968969970971979 ... LastLast
Results 9,681 to 9,690 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

That's the final step.

E.g. I miss a driver for an expensive A3 scanner Epson GT 20000.
    For things like that, I need to maintain a dual boot with an old XP.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rickm1945 View Post
    I have completely switched to Ubuntu 14.04 Unity LTS. Previously I had Linux Mint Cinnamon and Mate. I like the Cinnamon desktop. I have Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS on a Toshiba 1TB USB external drive, with EFI boot and I love it. I haven't used Windows since May when I experienced my first hard time from ******* 8.1, It truly sucks. I am a permanent Linux user now.
    You can have the Cinnamon desktop with Ubuntu...it can be installed and then chosen from a list on the lightdm login menu:

http://www.howtogeek.com/193129/how-...ment-on-linux/
    Ubuntu Mate 14.04 LTS

"...and you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking...racing around to come up behind you again." - Pink Floyd

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by rickm1945 View Post
    I have completely switched to Ubuntu 14.04 Unity LTS. Previously I had Linux Mint Cinnamon and Mate. I like the Cinnamon desktop. I have Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS on a Toshiba 1TB USB external drive, with EFI boot and I love it. I haven't used Windows since May when I experienced my first hard time from ******* 8.1, It truly sucks. I am a permanent Linux user now.
    Welcome to the club, Rick. Hope you enjoy yourself from now on...

I, too, like you, got fed up with the constant crashes in Windows XP, AND the all too regular re-installs; I lost track in the end of just HOW many times I'd had to re-install the stupid thing! To be fair, I'd used it for nearly 13 years, since it first came out.....I was more than ready for something different.

In the last week of May, I looked around and Googled 'free operating systems'. I ended up downloading the Wubi installer from Softpedia's site, and installing it to a small, FAT32-formatted partition on my Seagate external HD (as if it was being installed to a flash drive).

After experimenting with it for two or three days, I visited the Ubuntu site, downloaded the proper .iso image, chose the 'Wipe hard drive and install Ubuntu 14.04 LTS' option, and... that was that! In less than a week, I'd gone from regular bouts of swearing at my poor old Compaq, to waving bye-bye to Windows for good... ( and wearing a big, silly grin from that point on)!

Not being a gamer, or having any specific Windows-orientated programs that I particularly wanted to run, I felt no desire to have XP hanging around, to remind me of all the hassle it used to give me. When I make my mind up to do something, that's it; I get on and do it. I have absolutely NO regrets; I'm having more fun than I've had for years!

I used to use PhotoShop under XP, being a photographer; but having tried the Gimp before the switch, I was confident it would be a more than adequate substitute.....they're pretty similar in what they do. And running the Gimp in its native, Linux environment, it's far faster and more responsive than PhotoShop EVER was under XP!

I now run no fewer than six different distros; dual-boot on sda's 1 & 5, and four on sdb's 3, 5, 6 & 7 ( the Seagate external).....seven, if you count Puppy 'Slacko' on one of my flash drives....!!

Regards,

Mike.
    Last edited by Mike_Walsh; September 2nd, 2014 at 01:42 AM.
    Compaq Presario SR1619UK, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'X-Slacko' & 'Slacko'
    Dell Inspiron 1100, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'TahrPup' & 'Precise'

IF
    the advice given has helped you, PLEASE have the courtesy to post back and say 'Thank you'..!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Have to maintain dual boot. Quake live, various peripheral and video issues. The family (for whom I act as network admin, amongst other things) won't have Ubuntu. I tried for years to sell it to them and I have to solve their problems along with my own. Usually much easier in Win 7. (not always) My iphone mounted today for the first time since upgrade to 14.04 LTS, can't have that. Yada-yada. Have to have both still, at least for now. For the time being, until the next IOS upgrade, my laptop will be Ubuntu exclusively, but I won't delete that partition. (security blanket)

Yours
    FattyZ

I just copy and paste commands into the terminal from the internet. It either gets fixed or it stops working.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

My daughter has a Windows laptop she mainly uses to play games: I use it about once a year to update the maps on my Satnav other than that I'm Windows free. My main laptop runs Ubuntu 12.04 has does my server. I have another laptop I use for testing purposes which I dual boot Debian and Ubuntu 14.10.

My gaming machines are consoles PS3 and Wii and my (old) phone is Blackberry however so I'm not sure I can say I'm completely Linux.

Beans

I'm still using Windows (in a VM), because:
    - could not enable Java for Chrome;
    - I need to convert my pst file from Outlook to any other format available;
    - I could not find a good SVN client such as Tortoise. Actually I am sure Rabbit is a very option, but I was not able to installed it;
    - When I open a document (previously created in MSWord) in Office, things are quite different. Probably because of the Styles created using Word.
    I have been solving it one by one, using the forums. But these last one, I don't know...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've been 100% Linux (Ubuntu) user sense 2008. Absolutely NO Microsoft anything!
    Last edited by rktompsett; September 16th, 2014 at 01:51 PM.
    Robert K. Tompsett Registered Linux User 499013
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
    ICBM Address 42.23N,-85.89W (EN72bf)

Beans

just did the complete switch

i can control this thing (ubuntu 14.04)

nothing hidden.

easy to use and configure.

made by the people for the people. big thank you to the makers.

i got windows 8.1 on an acer computer and it came installed. what also came installed was a bunch of stuff that you can't use until you pay for it.

it was so difficult to install ubuntu for me because i am not as computer savy as some are. i had to work very hard to learn how to get my computer to boot from the disk.

i was going to keep the windows at first, until i realized that windows people are the ones who made it hard for me to install UBUNTU

... UBUNTU... WHAT A BEAUTIFUL FEELING.

and i am sure it will only get more popular... i have gave away 10 CDs of 14.04, and friends are happy too.

Beans

It took me quite a while to completely make the switch, even though I started using Linux a couple of years ago. I thought I still needed Windows for stuff beyond "e-mail, web browsing, and solitaire." But now I find that I can do all my college course work - even the research papers that require MLA and APA format - all in Linux applications. The only little glitch was a dumb web site my school uses that "requires" Windows or Mac. But the Useragent Switcher in Firefox is an easy work-around. I use LibreOffice and Xournal quite a bit at school now, and I'm finally Windows-free!

Beans

After 6 years of Microsoft XP, decided to move to a different and more equitable operating system so I upgraded to Linux and am enjoying the challenge. And learning through this forum (sorry if I sometimes ask stupid questions!)

Page 969 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 469869919959967968969970971979 ... LastLast