Page 967 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 467867917957965966967968969977 ... LastLast
Results 9,661 to 9,670 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Cool Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I switched on May 15 of 2014.
    I am still on a dual boot Win XP || Ubuntu 14.04 though.
    But I only use an untethered ******* (i.e. not connected to the network) to sync my Thunderbird contacts and my Lightning calendars with my Android mobile phone, using BirdieSync. For the rest, Windows could as well not exist as far as I am concerned.

I worked both in business and academic environments, using as much the desktop gui as bash in the terminal window. I have had only few problems, the latest being to configure the driver of a recalcitrant HP Laserjet 4 Plus printer.

By the way if somebody knows what I could use to sync directly my contacts and calendars from Thunderbird under Ubuntu with my Android phone , WITHOUT resorting to the cloud or Google, I would be very interested.
    -ced.
    --
    Lx Ubuntu 14.04 (LTS) Desktop Ed. on HP 8510w
    Intel T9300 Duo Core 2.5GHz - 4GB RAM - 64 bits

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Switched in April. Still have a Windows 7 computer for "Just In Case" I'm a beginner so still have a long way to go. Using Windows almost NOT AT ALL.

Joedokes2

Beans

I would like to drop MS-XP/Win7 but I can find no satisfactory audio multi-simultaneous commercial radio stream-packet capture that auto-schedules, segments, converts to MP3, tags and auto saves. I have two Ubuntu boxes and two working MS machines. I just upgraded to 14.04 on the main front-room Ubu entertainment system. A perfectly successful on-line upgrade to an old reliable Intel C2D 4400-775 DG33FB. An HD "truck" of a system w/ no leaking capacitors. Thank You Canonical! Yes I know there may be some tools that can manually record a single analog out, but nothing like what is available from Applian. What is worse; Applian now RENTS current and future upgrade versions of Radio AV software (annual extortion threat of annulment), which prompts an even greater incentive to dump them. Yes it is true, boys and girls, 99% of the ads touting miraculous superior features for radio stream recording software are farcical frauds that simply record a single analog out from the sound card, and are mainly aimed at adolescent music pirates. If I win the lotto I will finance an open source project to remedy this situation. Yes WINE might eventually work but I would still have to buy the application every year from you-know-who.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Laptop is switched to latest LTS, feels refreshing and fast

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Smile Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I bought a new Asus system in June, 2014 with ******* 8.1, it's terrible. The first update made the metro app links not work. I had Linux Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on a USB 160MB Toshiba HD. It wouldn't boot so I had to change the UEFI settings and got it to boot. I haven't used Windows since June. I would do a clean install of Ubuntu on the PC's HD but it would void my warranty. So Maybe in a year or so I will go all the way Linux Ubuntu on my Asus 1TB HD. I don't miss ******* at all.
    Last edited by rickm1945; August 18th, 2014 at 10:43 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

@rickm1945: actually you can do a clean install of ubuntu and have it totally replace windows and not void your warranty as long as you make the windows restore discs first so you can put it back on again if the need arises...i do that every time i buy a new windows computer...make the restore discs and then it's bye bye windows

Of course, it is always wise to back your important data on an external drive or a cloud service (i use a usb flash drive for that purpose)...
    Last edited by craig10x; August 18th, 2014 at 04:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I use us flash drive for back up also. Only thing I have to back up is Docs and photos. I have a recovery usb already for win8.1. Thanks for the information, much appreciated. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS is much better than *******.

Beans

I have NEVER used Windows. I went from my Atari ST running MiNT (a Multitasking OS for the Atari based on Unix) to Linux (with some AT&T 3b2 in between). I've had dual-boot ability, but I don't even bother with that. What do people use WIndows for other than to get pissed off?

Beans

I have tried numerous times over the last 15 years to make the move and I am now TRYING to commit to it however.....issues like the flash player working in Mozilla but not in Chrome frustrate the daylights out of me and I have to go back to W... to view a clip. I keep trying to confirm with my wife that she doesn't need W anymore but then this, and that, and the little $$% that turns her off makes it hard.
    Last edited by alexlloyd2; August 23rd, 2014 at 01:44 AM.

Beans

I think I'm going to completely switch over because I heard theres a way to run netflix through linux, and skype supports linux. I was SOOOO mad today, friggin Windows pissed me off: I had a new arduino board for it to recognize, and it refused to recognize it when I reinstalled for the new board and told the com port where to find the arduino.inf file. The dang .inf file exists but it REFUSED to see it, even with a complete reinstall of arduino on windows. It also takes minutes of digging through control panel crap and telling it where to find the driver. Switched over to my Ubuntu Linux platform, typed in a line of script into the terminal to install, then typed another line to open arduino IDE which allows for AUTOMATICALLY recognizing device attached with no need for me to handhold it's way all the way through- AWESOME! Bye bye Windows, you can shove it once I get netflix working through linux.

Page 967 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 467867917957965966967968969977 ... LastLast