Page 963 of 977 FirstFirst ... 463863913953961962963964965973 ... LastLast
Results 9,621 to 9,630 of 9764

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by rachel-g41 View Post
    I installed lubuntu on a netbook over Christmas and since then have switched over completely - there is no WIndows now here and so far I don't miss it although I do use Wine for IrfanView.

I understand I can't install adobe drm for e-books or silverlight for viewing videos but they're not essential to me. The only thing I miss is VirtualDub but there is an alternative in ubuntu Avidemux, which I'm getting to grips with.

I'm not a gamer though, I use the machine for internet connection, photo editing and tv/film streaming.

I have stuck with lubuntu even on a machine with a better spec, it does everything I need and since I'm familiar with it I see no need to switch at the moment.
    If you cant find libdvdcss2 on the VideoLan website, libdvdcss should also work. It worked for me and I am running Ubuntu 13.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by rachel-g41 View Post
    I installed lubuntu on a netbook over Christmas and since then have switched over completely - there is no WIndows now here and so far I don't miss it although I do use Wine for IrfanView.

I understand I can't install adobe drm for e-books or silverlight for viewing videos but they're not essential to me. The only thing I miss is VirtualDub but there is an alternative in ubuntu Avidemux, which I'm getting to grips with.

I'm not a gamer though, I use the machine for internet connection, photo editing and tv/film streaming.

I have stuck with lubuntu even on a machine with a better spec, it does everything I need and since I'm familiar with it I see no need to switch at the moment.
    @ Rachel - I just found a much easier way to download Adobe Digital Editions. Go to your software center and install 'Winetricks'. In Winetricks, you will see where you can select 'Install an App'. When you select that, one of the app options is Adobe Digital Editions 2011. Install that, and you will now be able to read your DRM protected Adobe Ebooks.

Beans

From Ubuntu 11.04, I completely changed to Linux and I am really happy with that

Beans

Many thanks for the replies. I will definitely look into the pipelight and the libdvd solutions.

AdobeDRM is only an issue if I want to buy ebooks from non-amazon sites, at the moment I'm living without it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Using Linux (SuSE/opensuse) on desktop since 1999 and since 2000 it's my primary. Totally Microsoft-free I'm only about 7 years.
    Linux user since 1997, reg'd Linux User #247167, quote: "GUI? Great, I can open multiple console windows side by side!"
    Specialties: Network / security / communications, Asterisk

Beans

Linux Mint 16 on a Dual-Boot Windows refurb'd Inpsiron 1525 with intel HW. I'm in the process of setting up my homemade (2009) desktop (I completely wiped my W2k7 64-bit) with Ubuntu! I've been a Microsoft product admin for many years using linux tools within; however, I resently became disabled and Linux has become my salvation

Beans

Just migrated most machines here from XP to Ubuntu this weekend, including my small business admin. Mostly pretty seamless, even all my mail, message rules etc.

One last PC still with XP for DesignSpark PCB layout software, If RS aren't going to address a linux version soon, I'll try and use something else in linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I only started using Linux about a year ago. I installed on a separate hdd so I could dual boot if I got stuck somewhere. At first, having that Windows installation sitting there "just in case" was a nice security blanket for me. But, after several months, I realized I hadn't even booted into Windows in so long, and I hadn't experienced any real problems that I couldn't handle. But also, there was no problem having Windows still on the machine because I didn't need the storage space. As luck would have it, I ended up needing the space eventually, and it was with only minor hesitation that I formatted that NTFS hdd and completely obliterated that old beast of an OS. I haven't looked back since, and that was over six months ago.

Beans

I've got 12.04 desktop running as a server only as it is a media server and need a stable GUI to work. Also as a fileserver with windows clients. I'd switch 100% on the clients but I'm too much of a WOW gamer. Unfortunately Windows has too much of a monopoly on the gaming dev's that until they do actually change and port to other OS's, I'm stuck running dual boxes. I know there's Wine and other mods to get games to work, but I'm sorry, every one I've tried on all the Linux's boxes I've done, they were sluggish as heck and still not stable. But as for servers, I'd go linux 100%

Beans

Lose 15 Years

I have lose 15 years of my life. Then i switch to linux. It was a hard time, special with the commands in the shell... But i learn and it works from day to day better...

Don't support the NSA with using windows! Be free!

Page 963 of 977 FirstFirst ... 463863913953961962963964965973 ... LastLast