Page 950 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 4508509009409489499509519529601000 ... LastLast
Results 9,491 to 9,500 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Hey, What a great question, I started trying Linux in 2004 when I found out its existence from my girl who worked at Novell. I tried various distros and I still do actually, the live CD/USB format makes it possible to check out every OS that catches your interest but I have Kubuntu on on machine now for nearly 4 years now and on another machine I've got Xubuntu and I cant seem to part with them. I've tried the original Ubuntu but like many have said before me; its not so easy to customize the newer versions and even if it would be easy it isnt as much fun somehow(then again I didnt try fanaticly either). At the moment I'm customizing a Fedora 19 laptop with Gnome Shell and I was very dissapointed with the customisation options. Now I'm getting there and being able to customize themes in CSS is certainly a nice find, still its not the same as it was on any of my Ubuntu machines. Also the amount of software in Ubuntu's repos are awesome to say the least, I found that not every distro can say that. As for Windows, Always when I want to do something in Windows I seem to run into more things it cant or wont do, I play games on Linux under Wine and when I try them in Windows theres always something lacking. What pisses me off the most is when you download a game or app, install it, the installer says: for this and that reason you cant install this in windows... ...so why doesnt it install?? Is there missing dependecies, misplaced library paths, missing libraries, wrong folder permissions?? Windows wont tell, it will just tell you you've just wasted another half hour of your life using an inferior system that pre-dates Linux a decade or so. Only good thing is ASIO, music production on Linux can be a pain and Windows handles it much better (for now I hope)
    Its not about getting people to believe in UFO's...
    ...Its about getting the people in UFO's to believe in me !!

social: https://www.facebook.com/rob.vanardenne
    links: https://soundcloud.com/robvanardenne , https://github.com/silconsystem

Beans

Until Ubuntu gets a 3D NBA game, that's what my Windows partition is for. NBA Live '06 and for using my iR port to transfer files between my old phone and my PC. (Because Ubuntu's iRDA won't work until I rearrange the IRQs and reboot.)

Beans

Tried to like Ubuntu but there are just too many problems with it - not going to list them all but losing sound when it comes out of hibernation is just one and the fact that software updates always seem to wreck my dual boot. Another reason is the crap freeware software which seems to have been last developed in the 90s - I'd rather pay and have more choice/better qualiity appplications. I use Ubuntu for browsing the web, nothing more.
    Last edited by bikeman01; August 22nd, 2013 at 04:01 PM.

Beans

Before 10 years I am only using Windows just 2 years only,
    Past 10 years I am using Linux and Solaris and some time Windows,
    and past 3 year I am only using Linux(Ubunut)

Ubuntu completely replaced my Windows OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Not completely. Still hanging on to Vista for a couple of programs that won't work in Wine.

I love the security of Linux. Viruses and malware seem to be a thing of the past.

One thing that is frustrating about Linux or at least Lubuntu and Mint is the lack of monitor resolution choices. I've tried a few different things but nothing has worked. My monitor is 9" high by 16" wide and Vista has a resolution of 1280x768 which looks to be the proper setting whareas Linux has 1024x768 which stretches everything out but doesn't give any higher choices.

With that said, I still prefer Linux. Windows now seems dirty. It's a bit like having a elephant with muddy feet in your living room

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by RyeMan View Post
    Not completely. Still hanging on to Vista for a couple of programs that won't work in Wine.

I love the security of Linux. Viruses and malware seem to be a thing of the past.

One thing that is frustrating about Linux or at least Lubuntu and Mint is the lack of monitor resolution choices. I've tried a few different things but nothing has worked. My monitor is 9" high by 16" wide and Vista has a resolution of 1280x768 which looks to be the proper setting whareas Linux has 1024x768 which stretches everything out but doesn't give any higher choices.

With that said, I still prefer Linux. Windows now seems dirty. It's a bit like having a elephant with muddy feet in your living room
    Play with xrandr. You can add new modes, check what modes are supported, set new modes:
    xrandr (shows monitors connected, resolutions supported, and which one currently using *next to it)
    xrandr --output XXX, --mode 1280x768 (set monitor XXX to 1280x768).

Beans

I've been using linux since 1996, the time when dragons rule the earth. I completely switch to linux 8 years ago. Despite of that, sometimes I need a windows machine to run any specific software only available for Windows, for example the Canon EOS software.

Beans

i have just installed ubuntu as i wanted to use multi wii and arduino which is becoming hard on windows 7/8 as the driver is not certified so windows will not allow me to install it but i am having a lot of trouble trying to get either one to run and can not find out how to list the serial ports that are on my machine, on windows i just have to click on device manager and i can get a list but i can find no easy way of doing the same so i may have to go back to windows.

Beans

I switched to Ubuntu in 2008, and almost all of my personal computing is done on it. I have XP on virtualbox because of Netflix and a test engine that I still use, but other than that its all Linux, all the time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ssgdean View Post
    I switched to Ubuntu in 2008, and almost all of my personal computing is done on it. I have XP on virtualbox because of Netflix and a test engine that I still use, but other than that its all Linux, all the time.
    Look at:
    Netflix in Linux:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...7#post12744837

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Page 950 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 4508509009409489499509519529601000 ... LastLast