Page 948 of 971 FirstFirst ... 448848898938946947948949950958 ... LastLast
Results 9,471 to 9,480 of 9704

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

In your dreams. Linux is limited to play. If I really want to do some work I must use windows or mac to do so. Some of the programming I use cannot be started in Linux. None of the OS's completely cover everything.

Beans

I use Ubuntu as my main operating system with several desktop environments. The best thing about linux is that I've always got a choice

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I use Xubuntu on my home desktop and laptop predominantly, but I still boot into Windows occasionally on both (Gaming with my PC, and university network access with my laptop). I'm stuck using win7 all the time at school/work though. My university's win7 machines are terrible, it often takes about 10 minutes just to log in and be able to do anything. They used to have Red Hat boxes, which logged in immediately, but they've ditched those in favor of 'laptop space', but you need to install a network client that only supports windows to use the network... so basically once I'm done with school, windows will be gone on all my home machines.

Beans

My family's PC was set to dual-boot XP with Xubuntu since XP broke, and my laptop dual-boots Vista with Mint, though I don't use Vista.

Beans

Unfortunately, in the current business environment, I don't think that any sys-admin can completely get away from Windows. Although I use Ubuntu for all of my personal machines and 90% of my work environment, there is always some application or user that will still be on Windows machines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by mantisdolphin View Post
    I really like Ubuntu on my dual-drive system, and have parsed out all the work-flow I can where being away from Windows is okay. I keep using Windows for Netflix and for gaming. Steam has some Linux stuff, but the games are not Far Cry 3, Starcraft 2, or Skyrim, or Diablo 3, or Dishonored, or, ah, if I was really rich I'd start a Linux gaming company hellbent on creating a game so awesome that gamers would dual-boot Linux to run it!
    You don't need Windows for Netflix. The Linux community is always very hard at work providing for the users. The work they do is incredible!

For Netfix look at:

Install NEtflix in Ubuntu 13.04:
    http://www.itworld.com/software/3589...ix-ubuntu-1304

Code:
    $ sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ehoover/compholio
    $ sudo apt-get update
    $ sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop
    It looks like it's totally native linux.

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Beans

Talking Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Finally shifted to Ubuntu completely. Had a Win7 dual boot, but then I saw no point of keeping Windows, since all the stuff that I did on Windows could be done in Ubuntu. Plus I think completely moving to Ubuntu (Unix) helps in learning CS faster...
    I am really happy with it. Switched completely to Gnome. Even being on my desktop seems cool...

Beans

Red face Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I have a dual boot set up, most of the time i use Ubuntu, but in occasions where i need important works like building websites, projects writing code i still use Windows 7, but Ubuntu is great for my web development work (but still unreliable). i think it'll take time for me to get familiar and build a trust ! Unreliable coz u never know when ur app crashes or window gets struck all is lost so ..!

Beans

I still have a Windows boot as Blizzard have yet to release a Linux client for Starcraft 2 or Diablo 3. The other reason is I need Windows for some of the studies that I am partaking at the moment. Most of my study software can be installed to a XP virtual machine so its not a big pull.

I would say Ubuntu has been my main OS over the last 3 years, recently I have been tinkering with OSX (hackintosh and Macbook Pro) and have been impressed but I have to say Ubuntu has beats it for ease of use, adaptability and IMO looks. OSX once Homebrew is installed becomes quite usable but you can be fighting it to get it working how you want for some time, it is however in a nice position between Linux and Windows for what I use a computer for.

So I'm currently triple booting, but tending to spend most of my time on Ubuntu.

Beans

I've been primarily using 12.04 on my MacBook Pro for several months now but have kept my OSX install just in case I need something to fall back on. There have been a few instances when Ubuntu comes down with a bug that I don't have time to fix. In those cases, I'll just boot back into OSX.

Page 948 of 971 FirstFirst ... 448848898938946947948949950958 ... LastLast