Page 946 of 968 FirstFirst ... 446846896936944945946947948956 ... LastLast
Results 9,451 to 9,460 of 9671

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Several years ago....

I still like to play some old DOS games via Dosbox. I only use wine for those applications I cannot find a Ubuntu alternative.

I enjoy not having to reboot EVERY time an application/game is installed. I have enjoyed a virus free environment now for years. Woo Hoo!!

I am not a MAC user, and thereby cannot compare the OS, I would choose Linux over Windblows any day. I have also convinced several others to "convert" and they too are happy they did....

J
    ----------------------------------------------------
    May your journey be free of incident.

Live long and prosper.

Beans

Here are my thoughts on the issue...

I have four computers, I will describe where I stand on each system:

• Laptop/Main Computer: 2009 Dell Studio 1555, Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.2 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB Hard Drive, Windows 7 Home Premium and Xubuntu 13.04
      • Most of my reasons are superficial for this system, but also, as a college student, I want to maintain maximum compatibility with school software needs, so I use Windows 90% of the time on this system. Further, my TV tuner card doesn't support analog signals in Linux, just digital. The cable system at my school uses analog signals, so I can't record anything when I'm up at school. Further, I love SimCity 4, and my laptop doesn't run virtual PCs very well.

• Server: 2006 HP Pavilion Slimline s7520n, AMD Turion 64 @ 1.8 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 200 GB Hard Drive, Xubuntu 13.04
      • This is a server, it runs Linux very well. After years of playing with Samba (all the other systems in my house run Windows), I've figured it all out and I love it.

• Main Desktop: 2002 HP Pavilion 742c, Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.0 GHz, 1.25 GB RAM, 80 GB Hard Drive, Xubuntu 13.04
      • I didn't want to run the increasingly outdated Windows XP on this system. It runs XP well, but it definitely runs Xubuntu better, and I really like that. I hate to say it, but because this is a secondary system (which I use for testing), it is really helpful for letting me learn about and play with Linux. Ultimately, I do not run Linux full time on my laptop because I don't want to inadvertently destroy my system (which is seemingly unlikely in Ubuntu).

• Alternate Laptop: 2001 HP Omnibook XE3, Intel Pentium III-M @ 1.06 GHz, 640 MB RAM, 20 GB Hard Drive, Windows 98 Second Edition
      • I paid $30 for this system because I wanted to use older software. However, I switch things up on this system often.

Beans

I'm fully converted, many months now.

I've known windows since 3.11 - up to windows 7 pro
    ( and still continue to find/fix neighbours windows problems )

me and my son (6 Years) have played hundreds of hours of warmux & supertuxcart, and the whole family use this for facebook games.

BUT - the shell has an awkward feel to it. ( many quirks that are just plain annoying )
    I need to spend some hours in the tweaks section, to set this machine to 'warp factor 9'
    removing the password for confirming everything
    product: System Product Name (To Be Filled By O.E.M.) many of these no dvd rom

but for free, I'll not grumble, as ~I've not used terminal / cmd to fault find to this extent in the past,
    but using dual screens, should save some time :]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I started using Ubuntu 4 years ago, with Ubuntu 9.04. I've used it exclusively ever since, though I do use Mint sometimes too. I've found that if you search hard enough you can find a Linux app that will do anything you did in Windows.

Beans

I "switched" to Ubuntu some years ago, and on many occasions I have been within a hair's breadth of going back to WinXP.

The switch requires a complete rethink about all the principles of computing learned over many years on firstly, MS0-DOS, and then the full range of Windows. And that rethink is quite difficult.

Particularly when there is no "step 1", "step 2", "step 3", etc.

And whereas there is plenty of community support available for helping solve the problems of not understanding what is going on, most are so keen to help that they assume one has a degree in computer science, or that one has been using Unix-like OS for decades. In other words, the concept of "back to the very basics" is absent.

I think that Ubuntu is capable of doing anything Windows could ever hope to do, and then some. But finding out how to do those things is going to be a hair pulling experience. There is still, after years of learning, not a week goes by when I am defeated by Ubuntu in one way or another. I sometimes spend days trying to figure out how to fix problems, untl eventually giving up and resorting to some kind of help. And it is not always from the Ubuntu community. Frequently more easily understood expplanations are found on independent websites. But one has to be very wary about those sources.

But I suppose it took me more than a decade to become truly proficient at using Windows, so I suppose I can expect that it will take just as long to master Ubuntu.

It has been a bump road so far, and one where the temptation to turn back has only been thwarted by doggedness. And so far,that doggedness triumphs.

Beans

The limitations of Unity bumped me off Ubuntu via Mint and Fedora onto finally Kubuntu. Kubuntu has the benefits of Ubuntu quality but with a flexible desktop environment. You just need to install the Ubuntu Software centre to get the best of both worlds.

I have now set up my "Photography Workflow" there using Digikam, Raw Therapee, Hugin and Gimp. They all work really well together with very little compromise. People stuck with Adobe photography software are all upset with Adobe recently changing to a monthly rental for most of it's products. Linux users can just laugh at all the turmoil.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have like a ton of games for Windows on Steam, so I have two SSD's in my system: one for Windows,
    one for Ubuntu. I have been dual booting for about 7 to 8 years now, but I really only optimized my
    Windows install for gaming and Steam runs on boot and in "Big Picture" mode, so it's sort of like a
    gaming console. My main SSD holds Ubuntu and I use that for everything but gaming (except Linux games).

This works great for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

This is always such a busy forum!!! Full Ubuntu for over a year

Beans

Thumbs up Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Add another one to the count!

I have finally switched to Linux in late 2011. I started back with ubuntu 6.04, was a complete noob (not much better now) and crashed my system time and again. Was an iMac user, had an old Pismo laptop, could never get the wireless working and didn't understand why reading articles and trying things just didn't work.....syntax, syntax, syntax.

With 11.04, things improved to the point that my wife's PC was a perfect dual boot - wifi worked, could even get the printer to work wirelessly. Not easy for a noob! By 11.10 I knew that Open Office & the stable version OS would carry me through, and I quit using my Mac or XP. I finally tried other distros when 12.04 wouldn't keep a wifi card working, I tried Linux Mint and was pleased with the smooth operation.

I'm happy with 13.04, haven't really screwed anything up in a few years....when something doesn't work (DejaDup won't recognize the large backup drive) I just find another open source application and use it instead, no need to monkey around with CLI when I don't understand how to apply the options or qualifiers. I have the same problem with M$: if I have to drop to CLI, I don't know where to start! With these forums and with the web help I've received over the years, I'm much more comfortable tweaking Linux than I ever was with M$, and will continue endorsing the use of Open Source and the connected community instead of the proprietary software sellers.

Thanks for such great forums, and to all those who devote their time and effort to keep us noobs "between the ditches & rolling along", THANKS!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The thing is, Linux is like driving a stick.
    Yeah it's a drag at first and you stall out a lot, but once you get it, it is so much more fun than an automatic.
    Thank you,
    GG -----------
    GUI we don't need no stinking GUI: A collection of Bash scripts
    Mutt (email), cmus (music),Google Calendar and Google Tasks cli

Page 946 of 968 FirstFirst ... 446846896936944945946947948956 ... LastLast