Page 941 of 970 FirstFirst ... 441841891931939940941942943951 ... LastLast
Results 9,401 to 9,410 of 9692

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by dandroid13 View Post
    After searching for almost one year, I still didn't found an easy way to program my FPGA board using Ubuntu. Only found some crazy scripts but none of them works with my model... With Win7 it's just a few clicks away.
    If you are still looking, I've got a good Jtag programming hardware/software native to Linux. I'm a hardware designer, been doing it on Linux for years now.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic64 View Post
    Hi,

I was wondering what kind of a question this was.
    Just asking that IMO is a huge misconception of what computing really is about. (no offense intended)

I mean I gave it serious thoughts and what first comes to mind is another question: How do you use your computer(s)?
    Just asking this questions will give the clues about what you really need and what you need is what best suits your use.

Ubuntu is a great system but it still lacks things you could do with windows or OSX, It also has things the laters can't do or just don't handle well. plus Ubuntu is free.

But what suits your use best is not necessarily a question of price.

I personnaly have a laptop running precice and a server also running precise but the computer from which I write this post is Win7 and it will probably stay this way
    I mainly use my Win7 for gaming, photoshop, C# or asp.net dev etc... some of you will say wine or play on linux, gimp, mono...sweet illusion.
    For me, Linux is about choice. I don't have to upgrade to windows X when microsoft decides it needs another trillion dollars, I don't have to upgrade to office xxx when they decide I have to. For me, it is about control. I decide what the heck I want to run, not some company making money off of me. The same goes for Apple, who in many ways is worse and forces you to upgrade your hardware.

If you prefer to have companies tell you what is good for you to their benefit, then by all means continue to support them with your money.

Beans

I just switched to Ubuntu....I accidentally deleted Windows 7 while installing Ubuntu 12.04...

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by BandP View Post
    I just switched to Ubuntu....I accidentally deleted Windows 7 while installing Ubuntu 12.04...
    Congratulations!

Beans

High five!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

No loss...unless you still want windows

Beans

I mean I would like to have Windows...I guess it's not really the end of the world. Here's my story for anyone who cares.

-1 year ago I bought a $270 new Asus.
    -Windows 7 was so slow on it and I knew Ubuntu would make it a little quicker
    -I tried to install with both but for whatever reason Ubuntu wouldn't boot.
    -I messed up the partitions and now Windows 7 is gone for good.

Pros:
    -My laptop is SOOO much quicker and smoother.
    -Video loads quicker and is crisper
    -I don't play PC games so I could care less about that

Cons:
    -LibreOffice ... hear me out... It works FINE for me. I go to a University in Philly so I have a lot of papers I need to write. Libre works great. The issue is that I tend to write papers at home then edit them at school during breaks or when I'm staying with my GF in the city. When I open a Libre formatted paper the format always comes out messed up. Very annoying and makes me worry about emailing papers anyone else.
    -Netflix, what the hell...BOOOOO
    -iTunes to sync my media with.

Aside from that Ubuntu 12.04 is GREAT. It's like I have a new laptop. I feel like this OS looks much more, modern? Better fonts, Unity Toolbar, ect.

Any tips or tricks I should know about ... maybe apps?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I mean I would like to have Windows...I guess it's not really the end of the world. Here's my story for anyone who cares.

-1 year ago I bought a $270 new Asus.
    -Windows 7 was so slow on it and I knew Ubuntu would make it a little quicker
    -I tried to install with both but for whatever reason Ubuntu wouldn't boot.
    -I messed up the partitions and now Windows 7 is gone for good.

Pros:
    -My laptop is SOOO much quicker and smoother.
    -Video loads quicker and is crisper
    -I don't play PC games so I could care less about that

Cons:
    -LibreOffice ... hear me out... It works FINE for me. I go to a University in Philly so I have a lot of papers I need to write. Libre works great. The issue is that I tend to write papers at home then edit them at school during breaks or when I'm staying with my GF in the city. When I open a Libre formatted paper the format always comes out messed up. Very annoying and makes me worry about emailing papers anyone else.
    -Netflix, what the hell...BOOOOO
    -iTunes to sync my media with.

Aside from that Ubuntu 12.04 is GREAT. It's like I have a new laptop. I feel like this OS looks much more, modern? Better fonts, Unity Toolbar, ect.

Any tips or tricks I should know about ... maybe apps?
    Netfix works well under Linux (wine). So Well, it appears to be Linux native.

http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/eho...pholio_netflix

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by rickyrockrat View Post
    If you are still looking, I've got a good Jtag programming hardware/software native to Linux. I'm a hardware designer, been doing it on Linux for years now.
    Apparently Adept works on Linux, so I just need something like Xilinx ISE.
    Ubuntu - "humanidade com os outros" or "sou o que sou pelo que nós somos"

Beans

Will openGL evolve and become game developers platform of choice? Technology shouldn't be monoplolized *cough* microsoft and apple...

Page 941 of 970 FirstFirst ... 441841891931939940941942943951 ... LastLast