Page 938 of 972 FirstFirst ... 438838888928936937938939940948 ... LastLast
Results 9,371 to 9,380 of 9714

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Cool Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I started using Free BSD about 1998, switched to Ubuntu around 2001, haven't looked back, just installed 12.10 64bit.
    my guilty secret is that I have win xp installed under virtualbox to run a couple of apps.
    dont know anyone running windows who hasn't had a virus or some kind or hack......
    Dread the thought of Windows 8, the more I hear of it, the less I want to have anything to do with it.

Moose is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxLinuxLover View Post
    If you have problems with gaming on Linux, make a Windows Virtual Machine. Install VirtualBox from the ubuntu software center, make a new virtual machine, set its specs, and install windows. Then you can stay with Linux and still be a gamer.
    Do you have an idea how much resources that would chew up? && If it's a hardware/drivers issue, Virtualbox won't do anything.

Beans

Complete switch. Still need one MS program......bummer.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you count Chrome OS and Android (you should since they both use a Linux core), I'm entirely a Linux user now. I do still have a gaming PC on my desktop with Windows 7 on an SSD but it has been down for several months and I'm not particularly inclined to fix it. I've logged very few hours on Windows 7 overall and haven't even touched Windows 8.

I don't miss Windows at all.
    We're alike, me and cat. A couple of poor nameless slobs. -- Holly Golightly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@dfpd62: Ubuntu 4.10 (released on 20 October 2004) was the first release of Ubuntu.

Beans

Smile Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMTtakeover View Post
    You switched to Ubuntu for religious reasons? Oh please do explain.
    Well, if you are going to be sarcastic about it...but I will anyway.

I follow a religious path which in part states the sharing of information & knowledge is beneficial for all peoples, Alien or Germanic. It isn't Ubuntu specific (it just happened that Ubuntu was the GNU/Linux distro where I encountered zero issues installing), more like being an open culture where the freedom to exchange ideas and know how is encouraged, for example the GPL and Creative Commons licenses. Things which are proprietary and closed (software code, file formats, walled ecosystems etc.) are things that are not healthy and should be avoided as much as possible until it affects your quality of life or job. GNU/Linux happened to be the operating system I discovered thus far which has the most openness.

Exercise, meditation, creativity, rhythm, self defense, preparedness & being healthy are other things that are part of the path but of course there is MUCH more to it than that.

Now some people may assume that I am a part of the FSF or whatever but that would be an inaccurate assumption on their part. The idea of only nonproprietary is overall good although when you have companies like Microsoft or Amazon or Apple it's simply not going to happen unless they see the benefits as outweighing the costs. Or the corporate culture shifts to encouage nonproprietary things. Take blacksmithing for example if someone discovers how to smith a better sword should they share it with the world? Yes of course (they should share it with an apprentice before they die for example), once they have made a fair amount of money they should share it with anyone and everyone afterwards his skill and reputation for fairness should still have people coming back.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Since 1996 First install was Redhat 6.0 might even have it still around. picked up Caldera at a linux expo with other tux related items. Have had many different distros Debian,FreeBSD(before M$ bought it sometime in 1997) Gentoo, Knoppix, Ubuntu 6.0.06 LTS, just upgraded to 12.04 LTS from 10.04 LT. Lots of changes since the CLI (command Line Interface). Not to mention the sizes of Drives these days.

Now introducing Kid to Linux.

I have only one use for a XP laptop and its to update my Garmin Devices for work. everything else is a Nix Box.

and yes i installed Linux using 8 or 9 floppy disks at one time not a CD or USB

Lot has changed......

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolgentoo View Post
    Since 1996 First install was Redhat 6.0
    Good trick, but 6.0 didnt come out until 1999

peace
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

I made the full switch to Ubuntu a month ago, mostly because I wanted to be more familiar with Linux for my job. Ubuntu seemed so refined with the details, and the few I didn't like I could find ways to change.
    But getting rid of Windows 100% doesn't seem possible for me, so I installed VirtualBox and used my Acronis backup to restore the image in VB. It works great! Windows 7/MS Office 2010 freaks because it detects a hardware change and my licenses had to be re-confirmed online. I gave Win7 1GB and 1cpu on my system with a quad core and 8GB RAM, no issues with resources, I may actually bump up the Win7 resources I assign it because Office + another app chews up RAM.
    Doing games on Windows can be tricky, you have to install the extra experiemental DirectX package and performance is not what I would call steller.

Beans

I switched to Ubuntu two years ago; the learning curve was steep, but I feel comfortable now doing pretty much anything. I still keep Windoze 7 on my Desktop and Windoze 8 on my laptop, but I rarely use them. I still use windoze programs under wine like MS Word (sorry, but I still don't feel comfortable with LibreOffice, I will give it another try soon, but last time I used it chocked with a simple 250 page document), TheWord (Bible software), e-Sword (another Bible software... I wish there was a decent Bible application for Linux.), and Photoshop (I wish it was a little less buggy on wine, but it works most of the time for what I use it at home).

Page 938 of 972 FirstFirst ... 438838888928936937938939940948 ... LastLast