Page 921 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 421821871911919920921922923931971 ... LastLast
Results 9,201 to 9,210 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

You can get a cheep desktop and put Puppy Arcade on it.
    It is a distro based on Puppy Linux which is based on Ubuntu.
    It has a lot of games like Doom and you can play PlayStation games on it if you connect a controller. And you can also play a lot of other retro games on it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by clbaines View Post
    I have not completely switched to Linux. I have a computer with Windows XP that I use to run Quicken and Netflix. All three of my other computers are Linux. Two with Ubuntu 12.04 and one with Mint 13/Maya.

If both Quicken and Netflix ever get their act together, then it would be no Windows for me.
    I feel your pain. I bought a Dell Mini netbook with Windows XP on it for Netflix and Tomtom Home (to update my GPS devices), but I went to update Windows, and it began spinning in circles. Then I saw that it had no SSD space left. It was choked with Windows fixes and patches. So I just said to hell with it and put Ubuntu 12.10 on it. Now it feels a lot more modern and fresh.

My other computer, an HP netbook, also runs Ubuntu 12.10. I will just take my Tomtoms over to the in-laws house to update them. I already installed Tomtom Home on their machines. Tomtom Home won't work under WINE.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Switch from Windows 8 to Linux. Am I alone?

Quote Originally Posted by jerome1232 View Post
    That awkward moment when you say the impossible. Unless the poster meant they switched to Linux in '98 (since Linux was released with GNU in '91) and has used Ubuntu since Ubuntu's release?
    That wouldn't be too surprising. Windows 98 was still plenty usable even a bit past 2000. I used it myself on my old laptop until about 2007.

(btw, your signature should read "threw a sword at you")

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Switch from Windows 8 to Linux. Am I alone?

Quote Originally Posted by peyre View Post
    That wouldn't be too surprising. Windows 98 was still plenty usable even a bit past 2000. I used it myself on my old laptop until about 2007.

(btw, your signature should read "threw a sword at you")
    I occasionally run into machines running 95 .... it's a crazy blast from the past when you do though
    Ubuntu Server User - OSX and Windows Desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I switched over my HTPC hooked up in my living room to Ubuntu about 5 months ago over from Win7 and haven't looked back.

I was so impressed I switched my work PC to Ubuntu about 3 weeks ago and use Virtualbox for Win apps that I still need for work.

Biggest issue for me is that on my work machine 12.10 install CUPS is seriously broken. I can't print to anything. I had to hook up my printers to a different Win7 machine, share them, then add them to my Win7 running in VB.

Only other thing I really miss is Lightroom. I'm using Aftershot Pro but it's not as good.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    I switched over my HTPC hooked up in my living room to Ubuntu about 5 months ago over from Win7 and haven't looked back.

I was so impressed I switched my work PC to Ubuntu about 3 weeks ago and use Virtualbox for Win apps that I still need for work.

Biggest issue for me is that on my work machine 12.10 install CUPS is seriously broken. I can't print to anything. I had to hook up my printers to a different Win7 machine, share them, then add them to my Win7 running in VB.

Only other thing I really miss is Lightroom. I'm using Aftershot Pro but it's not as good.
    Whatever is not working in Ubuntu..you are making it run in Virtualbox windows then what is the whole point in shifiting to ubuntu???

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    \Only other thing I really miss is Lightroom. I'm using Aftershot Pro but it's not as good.

http://www.darktable.org/features/
    Toshiba Satellite L875-s7230 / A6 2.7ghz dual-core piledriver w/ ATI Radeon HD 7520G / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM / 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT formatted JFS. >Wifi Drivers for this machine< My Deviant Screenshots

Beans

I switched completely to Ubuntu and have a Win7 partition only for iTunes (iPhone backup) which I don't use very often.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Last year I installed a SSD in my laptop and the only OS I installed on it was Ubuntu 12.10 with Unity DE. I started out with 12.04 and have not used Windows since that release. The only thing I kept windows around for was Netflix but now I have a Nook, Asus Transformer Tablet, Bluray DVD player and a Roku box for that so I don't use or need Windows for anything any more. I am totally MS free.
    I love Open Source Software.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans

I go back and forth only because I use adobe products such as photoshop and illustrator. I don't think that I can make the whole move until I have those two on a Linux distro.

Page 921 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 421821871911919920921922923931971 ... LastLast