Page 914 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 414814864904912913914915916924964 ... LastLast
Results 9,131 to 9,140 of 10014

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Getting there...!!

I've tinkered with Linux quite a few times over the years - I first got interested when Red Hat was still free, and before Fedora existed; I think either RH or Debian was my first distro. However, it was always only a matter of time until I got frustrated with trying to configure my installation so I could just get some work done. I think for the past five years or so I hadn't even bothered to try out Linux again.

Well, until my Win7 laptop died, and I bought a new one with Win8 installed, that is!

After an evening of trying to complete even the most basic of tasks with ease on Win8... and failing... I decided it was time to give Linux another go, and checked in at Distrowatch to see what had been going on in the world of Linux while I'd been away.

Next thing, I'd wiped Windows off the laptop, and after a few tussles with unfamiliar partition tables and UEFI, I'd installed Ubuntu - and it just worked! I couldn't believe how easy it had become to install and use Linux.

I now have a multiboot setup on both my new laptop and the family desktop:
    - Linux Mint 13 (now 14) for everyday duties/browsing/games etc (thinking about swapping this to Xubuntu or maybe Ubuntu with MATE/Cinnamon),
    - Ubuntu Studio 12.10 for audio work (with Renoise installed too, will probably buy Bitwig Studio too, when it comes out),
    - Ubuntu Server 12.10 for testing and learning about how servers work,
    - Manjaro 0.8.2 for development work and tinkering.
    I've still got a Windows 7 partition on each, but I haven't needed to boot either for about three weeks now!

My 6yo son and I both use Mint day-to-day, and I've installed Mint on my 60yo mother's laptop - she loves it! My sister wants Ubuntu/Mint on her laptop too.

My wife is currently resisting any efforts to install on either of her work laptops (she's a web developer), but largely because she's worried about not being able to use Dreamweaver and PaintShopPro... hey-ho, I'll keep working on her.

All in all, I've been very pleasantly surprised how easy I've found the move to Linux this time. If things carry on like this, I can see me wiping those Windows 7 partitions in the near future.

Cheers,
    J

PS I am aware that this thread was originally started in 2004(!!) and was last touched two days ago, but this is surely a perennially relevant topic.

Beans

i'm almost there not touched windows for a few months just had/ having a few minor issues that might cause me to put windows back on, firstly compatibility problems with libre office and the college pcs (power point mainly), secondly netflix I’ve had it working fine twice now just sound only, thirdly football/championship manager is wanting to take over my life i cant make it work (this might be my incompetency than Ubuntu) the last thing is podcasts i used to download loads from itunes, any sort of package that could do it for me would be ace

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dark mavis View Post
    i'm almost there not touched windows for a few months just had/ having a few minor issues that might cause me to put windows back on, firstly compatibility problems with libre office and the college pcs (power point mainly), secondly netflix I’ve had it working fine twice now just sound only, thirdly football/championship manager is wanting to take over my life i cant make it work (this might be my incompetency than Ubuntu) the last thing is podcasts i used to download loads from itunes, any sort of package that could do it for me would be ace
    Gpodder best podcast app ever period.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Greetings,
    I have been using Linux exclusively for 3 years. I started out with Puppy Linux because that was the only system that fired up my wifi with out modifications and I couldn't get things going without my wifi. When Ubuntu's driver package caught up with me I switched to it to solve some of the problems I had with software. Today I have been trouble free for so long that I don't need anything else. I currently run Ubuntu 13.04 on a Toshiba Laptop and on my wife's Toshiba Netbook. I have found that Moneydance is a great substitute for Quicken. I also run Virtualbox with Win7 to help me troubleshoot Windows problems for a couple of customers that I have left over since I retired in 2004. But I remote through Ubuntu/Firefox/LogMeIn. I also use Linux based Web creation programs like Kompozer, Bluefish and Gphpeditor. Linux and Wine natively handles any game requirements that I am still interested in. When I think of all of the crap that I gratefully have to deal with on my customers computers that don't exist in Linux, I don't need to complain too much about Ubuntu's few shortcomings. I also still keep a copy of Carolina Puppy Linux installed on my Laptop and use it often. Puppy is trying to grow up a bit so I like to keep in touch.
    rrnbtter

Beans

I'm close to switching to it exclusively -- there are just a few things that I love about Win that I can't give up quite yet.. but as Ubuntu is getting better, I'm becoming more inclined to switch all of my PC's over completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

My main home computer runns PinguyOS 12.04 (Ubuntu based) and W7, since my games do not run in wine.

My wifes Laptop runs PinguyOS 12.04 only, my files server (Mini-ITX) runs XUbuntu.

House computers:
    2 pcs. Linux only
    3 pcs. Dualboot W7/Linux
    3 pcs. W7/XP only

Gaming and home office (CAD and microcontroller tools) is reason for not only running Linux.

What I hope is to run Linux only by the time W7 is obsolete. W8 I really do not want

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

been running ubuntu since 5.10 breezy badger. there is stil one windows xp machine in my home network for my girlfriend but i got her a laptop which run Ubuntu 12.04 Gnome Classic and she loves it. I currently run 12.04 Xubuntu 64 bit and about to upgrade the MythTV/File server from Mythbuntu 10.04.4 to Mythbuntu 12.04 this weekend. YIPPIE!!

BTW, Since Ubuntu doesn't require much power I am still using 7 old hardware. 1.8ghz C2D, 2GB DDRII ram and an 8400 GS GPU.

Beans

I've completely deleted Windows from our house no one even says that word. hopefully when I start on my build there will be more games that run in linux natively. It's funny the only Windows computer that is here now is a friends PC he would be so pissed if I just upgraded him to Ubuntu or mint. kinda funny my parents don't care what their using as long as they can firefox.

Beans

Talking Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Me too. one PC is Window for playing a Game but my laptop us Ubuntu.

Beans

I've been running Ubuntu full time since 2008, works great for me and my family.

Page 914 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 414814864904912913914915916924964 ... LastLast