Page 909 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 409809859899907908909910911919959 ... LastLast
Results 9,081 to 9,090 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

All linux all the time!!

upgraded from 7 to ubuntu about 9 months ago. wish i did it sooner.

the diffrence between linux and windows is with linux your in the driver's seat, but with windows MS is driving... and your tied up and locked in the trunk
    Last edited by sffvba[e0rt; November 16th, 2012 at 07:03 PM. Reason: not M$ >:(

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Gster4 View Post

The diffrence between linux and windows is with linux your in the driver's seat, but with windows M$ is driving... and your tied up and locked in the trunk

Excellent way of putting it!! I'm also a Mac user and that would also pertain to Macs and Apple as well.
    Randy McElligott
    www.mcran.com

For the best in Jazz, In Transition every Sunday from noon-2pm EST www.chuo.fm

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have from today.. switched fully to Linux.

After trying Windows 8.. all hope was lost and bashed my head on the desk and went to Distrowatch and downloaded newest distro.

Poof.. Elementary is my new main OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Been pretty much proprietary-OS-free for 5-6 years now. Our 2 (atm) computers here both run Linux. The newer one got Ubuntu 12.10 and the older (this one) one got Arch Linux with xfce.

Got a Xbox 360 though, had it for many years now. Been looking for an alternative as I like console-gaming, bug but can't really find a good more open-platform:ish one, really dislike closed-down profitable-guided platforms. They pretty much ruins the experience with the OS/Software with that approach, kinda like the one you find on Xbox Live.
    This is my signature

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Got a Xbox 360 though, had it for many years now. Been looking for an alternative as I like console-gaming, bug but can't really find a good more open-platform:ish one, really dislike closed-down profitable-guided platforms. They pretty much ruins the experience with the OS/Software with that approach, kinda like the one you find on Xbox Live.
    Coming early 2013 - http://www.ouya.tv/

Beans

I really want to switch to Linux but the only thing holding me back is the Nvidia Optimus support on it. I use a laptop primarily and need good battery life which is not possible at the moment with the current state of proprietary/bumblebee support for my GPU

Beans

First time I saw Linux was in 2000 (or was it in 2001?), in the Internet caffee- friend of mine was running that, he was hosting files etc for dozen of computers running win98se. I was amazed how good it looked (WindowMaker ftw!), that you could even install windows 2000 on virtual machine etc. It was PLD, kind of fork of Red Hat Linux (it was before Fedora). I bought a book with CDs with Red Hat Linux 7.2 (or 7.1?), even bought a dial-up modem (i had so-called "win-modem") so it would work with 2.2.x kernel (which I had to compile by myself).
    Anyway, later I had no computer (I was using my mum's hardware), but when I bought myself a laptop i almost immediately removed windows xp from it. ubuntu 6.04 worked fine. same did debian, arch, opensuse and fedora.
    but, well- win7 came out, i pre-ordered it so i've saved more than a hundred of quids, and well- it runs well.
    i got new computer- there is no problem with graphic card under windows (it's nvidia)- the newest ubuntu doesn't really work well with it (i have to use recovery mode to boot it into useful state and than install drivers), dvb-t card works flawlessly on windows (no need to use console etc), sound card works fully on windows (yes, it works on linux as well- but only at limited state, just basic functionality). No problems with software, no viruses etc.
    and i'm getting older now, i value my time much more than before. configuring, compiling, reading how-tos (quite often- obsolete) isn't fun for me- but rather necessity on linux (unless you wan't to use just the basic, stack software).
    so, well- I just use windows. Linux on desktop machine is fun as a hobby, but not really funny when you just wan't to have your job done. or even for entertaining (yes, i know, mythtv works fine and steam is coming too- but it's too little and to late).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Only Ubuntu since Dapper. My first linux was Red Hat 5, then Suse, Mandrake, Progeny ...Ubuntu is my main and only OS.

Beans

I'm all Linux unless you count some android devices, which are only linux by the skin of their teeth. They are certainly not GNU/Linux, in any case.

Page 909 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 409809859899907908909910911919959 ... LastLast