Page 905 of 980 FirstFirst ... 405805855895903904905906907915955 ... LastLast
Results 9,041 to 9,050 of 9795

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxisfast View Post
    All problems have solutions, flash works right of the box here and have been doing so since version 8.04, now Chrome comes with flash so install it and it works. Nothing is plaguing Linux except the users who are hooked on Windows period, in their case, better for them to stick to it.
    Half of the time goes waste in searching for workarounds and solutions which is not the case with windows..

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by krishna.988 View Post
    This is my point.. Why to bother changing to Ubuntu when things don't work out of box..and there are so many issues plaguing around it...
    Having developed and used both Windows and Linux since the 90's, I can tell you there have ALWAYS been issues with Windows. I'm recovering data from a NTFS partition right now for a friend...Windows just decided to wipe the first part of the partion. This list is long. Just look at your updates - if you know where to look, and you will see the thousands of updates, which eventually fill your hard drive.

I too am frustrated by what appears to be lack of extensive testing by the Ubuntu team - especially on LTS releases.

No OS is perfect, but at least in Linux I can find and fix the trouble I come across - instead of rebooting and hoping the problem goes away.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pickledegg View Post
    The only thing holding me onto windows now is photoshop. Its quite frustrating really. I can get CS5 running in WINE but its less than satisfactory. All my other stuff, Sublimetext, filezilla and my other dev tools work fine, in fact, brilliantly.

I do a lot of freelance which is deadline based and I rely on photoshop to just work, so I guess until Adobe get there act together and sort something out, I'll be chained to Windows7
    Ever checked out Gimp, Inkscape, and Blender? Gimp is bitmap based, Inkscape is vector and bitmap (though the learning curve is a little steeper), and Blender, well blender is an amazing 3-d modeler, probably overkill for you.

Chains suck.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by krishna.988 View Post
    Half of the time goes waste in searching for workarounds and solutions which is not the case with windows..
    The truth is any time you contemplate switching to another platform, there is this phase to go through. It's not necessarily Linux, it's that fact that you are going from one place to another. There is education involved.

Perhaps the real issue is that it is easier to complain than to learn, in which case, by all means stay on Windows. There's not much to learn there.

When you start investigating the open source realm, you find that the world you thought was so big just shrunk to an amazingly small dot. It is daunting for one that lacks courage. I've been on Linux 10 years, and I still shake my head at the huge list of free software available for so many fields.

Yes, it does come with a price. You have to learn.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rickyrockrat View Post
    The truth is any time you contemplate switching to another platform, there is this phase to go through. It's not necessarily Linux, it's that fact that you are going from one place to another. There is education involved.

Perhaps the real issue is that it is easier to complain than to learn, in which case, by all means stay on Windows. There's not much to learn there.

When you start investigating the open source realm, you find that the world you thought was so big just shrunk to an amazingly small dot. It is daunting for one that lacks courage. I've been on Linux 10 years, and I still shake my head at the huge list of free software available for so many fields.

well if you don't like learning by all means avoid windows 8. man i would hate to be a customer service rep with microsoft when that launches.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Santaman View Post
    I've got a whole lot of machines that can't run Linux, mainly my XT's 8 bit Atari's, Atari ST's Commodore 64's and MSX's won't run it, neither my 286 and 386 machines..
    The oldest Linux machine I've ever used was a Pentium 133 with an ancient version of Puppy Linux.

I've got three Xubuntu 12.04 machines, an AM-2 Sempron 2800+, a Socket A Sempron 2200+ and a P-4 machine, the older two are a tad sluggish here and there but function well enough, the AM-2 machine works quite okay.
    Vector Linux runs on 486, and should work on 386. You need 16M of ram or so, though. It has translucent windows, it's pretty amazing. I know, because I've run it. You are right, the 286 won't run - nobody bothered to port Linux to that or the other 8- bit machines.
    http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/miscellaneous/version_table.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by rickyrockrat View Post

You know, its amazing how true this post really is. I keep a gaming PC on Windows 7, and my wife has to use actual MS-Office and Windows for her online university but everything else is open source, and I have to keep learning.

I can do so many more things in Linux (like my DLNA server/firefly(itunes) server/NAT firewall) that I just couldn't do with windows without great expense.

Beans

I have 7 machines; 4 of them only run Ubuntu, 2 of them only run another linux distro, and 1 has a dual boot for Ubuntu and Android 4.0. So, I've been solely a Linux/Unix user for over 3 years and my wife has been solely a linux user for over a year.

Beans

I started using Linux a my primary OS since august 2012. I did not have the need to use my other PC, windows and Mac OSX. As for me I can do everything with Linux.
    Really happy to make the switch.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

After I've lost all data back on Windows 98, I've bought Suse 5.3 from a local computer shop. Switched to Ubuntu in 2009, as I couldn't get sound working anymore on Suse and Ubuntu was first to introduce online repos.

Well 100% Ubuntu only since Wine 1.2.

Page 905 of 980 FirstFirst ... 405805855895903904905906907915955 ... LastLast