Page 904 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 404804854894902903904905906914954 ... LastLast
Results 9,031 to 9,040 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I've got a whole lot of machines that can't run Linux, mainly my XT's 8 bit Atari's, Atari ST's Commodore 64's and MSX's won't run it, neither my 286 and 386 machines..
    The oldest Linux machine I've ever used was a Pentium 133 with an ancient version of Puppy Linux.

I've got three Xubuntu 12.04 machines, an AM-2 Sempron 2800+, a Socket A Sempron 2200+ and a P-4 machine, the older two are a tad sluggish here and there but function well enough, the AM-2 machine works quite okay.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I wish I could move, but need Windows because of my studies... (Matlab, ISE...)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dandroid13 View Post
    I wish I could move, but need Windows because of my studies... (Matlab, ISE...)
    Hello,
    have you considered Octave? it's said to be 99% compatible with Matlab...

I completely switched to Linux, I only have an issue with the flash plugin

But... everything else just

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Trumusiate View Post
    Hello,
    have you considered Octave? it's said to be 99% compatible with Matlab...

I completely switched to Linux, I only have an issue with the flash plugin

But... everything else just
    Problems like flash and a lot of other silly things which doesn't require the user to bother about are plaguing Linux..

OS should be ready in every way and ready to cater the needs immediately..A user using Windows need not bother whether Flash will cease support, whether my iphone will connect etc. etc..

Until all the issues are fixed, a user cannot completely switch to Linux..and Linux will never gain the popularity in desktop market...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

The flash issue can be solved in two ways. Either install Google Chrome, or install the plugin flash-aid for Firefox.

Ubuntu is the reason I switched completely over to linux. And of course windows 8. I have not regretted it, Ubuntu is amazing. Before I used Ubuntu, windows 7 was my favorite.

Beans

The only thing holding me onto windows now is photoshop. Its quite frustrating really. I can get CS5 running in WINE but its less than satisfactory. All my other stuff, Sublimetext, filezilla and my other dev tools work fine, in fact, brilliantly.

I do a lot of freelance which is deadline based and I rely on photoshop to just work, so I guess until Adobe get there act together and sort something out, I'll be chained to Windows7

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pompel9 View Post
    The flash issue can be solved in two ways. Either install Google Chrome, or install the plugin flash-aid for Firefox.

Ubuntu is the reason I switched completely over to linux. And of course windows 8. I have not regretted it, Ubuntu is amazing. Before I used Ubuntu, windows 7 was my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by pickledegg View Post
    The only thing holding me onto windows now is photoshop. Its quite frustrating really. I can get CS5 running in WINE but its less than satisfactory. All my other stuff, Sublimetext, filezilla and my other dev tools work fine, in fact, brilliantly.

I do a lot of freelance which is deadline based and I rely on photoshop to just work, so I guess until Adobe get there act together and sort something out, I'll be chained to Windows7
    This is my point.. Why to bother changing to Ubuntu when things don't work out of box..and there are so many issues plaguing around it...
    Last edited by krishna.988; October 18th, 2012 at 06:21 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by krishna.988 View Post
    Problems like flash and a lot of other silly things which doesn't require the user to bother about are plaguing Linux..

OS should be ready in every way and ready to cater the needs immediately..A user using Windows need not bother whether Flash will cease support, whether my iphone will connect etc. etc..

Until all the issues are fixed, a user cannot completely switch to Linux..and Linux will never gain the popularity in desktop market...

All problems have solutions, flash works right of the box here and have been doing so since version 8.04, now Chrome comes with flash so install it and it works. Nothing is plaguing Linux except the users who are hooked on Windows period, in their case, better for them to stick to it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxisfast View Post
    All problems have solutions, flash works right of the box here and have been doing so since version 8.04, now Chrome comes with flash so install it and it works. Nothing is plaguing Linux except the users who are hooked on Windows period, in their case, better for them to stick to it.
    Half of the time goes waste in searching for workarounds and solutions which is not the case with windows..

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by krishna.988 View Post
    This is my point.. Why to bother changing to Ubuntu when things don't work out of box..and there are so many issues plaguing around it...
    Having developed and used both Windows and Linux since the 90's, I can tell you there have ALWAYS been issues with Windows. I'm recovering data from a NTFS partition right now for a friend...Windows just decided to wipe the first part of the partion. This list is long. Just look at your updates - if you know where to look, and you will see the thousands of updates, which eventually fill your hard drive.

I too am frustrated by what appears to be lack of extensive testing by the Ubuntu team - especially on LTS releases.

No OS is perfect, but at least in Linux I can find and fix the trouble I come across - instead of rebooting and hoping the problem goes away.

Page 904 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 404804854894902903904905906914954 ... LastLast