Page 897 of 971 FirstFirst ... 397797847887895896897898899907947 ... LastLast
Results 8,961 to 8,970 of 9702

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Only two reasons not to be fully ubuntized (work & itunes). I've almost solved the work issue, but itunes continues to be the pain.....

Beans

Went back to Windows!(Windows 7) seems to be a solid OS

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlinzzz View Post
    Went back to Windows!(Windows 7) seems to be a solid OS
    Whose pants are on fire?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thumbs down Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Working ONLY on Ubuntu(Linux) for past 8 months...and happy..!!!
    Satyam M.

Beans

I switched to Linux from Windows Vista just to give it a try. I should say I expected it to be more difficult and less fancy (I'm a girl)
    It works really great for me comparing with Windows: no lags, no sudden updates and the interface is quite user-friendly. And moreover it's free!
    I personally cannot imagine a better OS now. Will continue using it. The only minus for me is that not every program works for it, for example such tools like Midi player freeware do not. A lot of games I used to play are not supported.

But I still love Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by D1Dude View Post
    I'm surprised the mouse can move around without some form of geeky advanced configuration to start off with..
    Ah yes, back in the good ol' days you had to edit the X conf file, and choose the correct mouse protocol and port; and decide if you used gpm or not, Its not like nowdays, where everything works perfect by default

Protip: If you fail at ubuntu, try other distro, or go use what you like. Trolling here won't get you a thing.

Also, the economic model has nothing do to with it. Free Software is not unpaid, you only pay when you want/need to, eg, to get someone fix things for you... Its free as in freedom, and you are free to charge for it, but can't impose on others what to do with their copy, following the license rules (which allows you to charge for it, or give it away, your problem).

People working with free software often charge for support/fixes instead of copies, as realistically you could only charge for the first copy anyway (fund the project).
    i5-2500, Asus p8p67le, 8g ddr3, gtx460. Eeepc 701 4g surf.

vm.swappiness=0;noatime,data=writeback;deadline scheduler;preload.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Talking Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by CleoB View Post
    I switched to Linux from Windows Vista just to give it a try. I should say I expected it to be more difficult and less fancy (I'm a girl)
    It works really great for me comparing with Windows: no lags, no sudden updates and the interface is quite user-friendly. And moreover it's free!
    I personally cannot imagine a better OS now. Will continue using it. The only minus for me is that not every program works for it, for example such tools like Midi player freeware do not. A lot of games I used to play are not supported.

But I still love Ubuntu
    If you are unmarried then perhaps I have found mom for my Kids...!!

(Seeing that many things are not going a nicer way, but you still love Ubuntu. I didn't think any girl would think like that)..!!
    Satyam M.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The only minus for me is that not every program works for it, for example such tools like Midi player freeware do not. A lot of games I used to play are not supported.
    There are many many ways to play midi files, my favorite is to install the package fluidsynth (software midi synth) and use audacious to play midis (with a small 3,2M soundfont called Scc1t2.sf2 )

Some newer games work with wine, but take an initial effort configuring and a good supported (usually nvidia) 3d video board. Older games might work with dosbox or scummvm (which can also use fluidsynth), etc.

Try to ask for help in the proper areas of the forums or in chat.
    i5-2500, Asus p8p67le, 8g ddr3, gtx460. Eeepc 701 4g surf.

vm.swappiness=0;noatime,data=writeback;deadline scheduler;preload.

Beans

It works really great for me comparing with Windows: no lags, no sudden updates and the interface is quite user-friendly.
    Bingo. No lags, this cannot be understated. My time is important and wasting it sitting infront of a spining icon is soul sucking experience I am loth to participate in...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Years ago I tried Heron, couldn't get online so it had to go. Tried 10.04 LTS when it first came out, installed, clicked on the web icon and was online straight away, that was all I needed to dump window$.
    Yes I have searched, perhaps I missed the answer but I did search. Thanks.

Page 897 of 971 FirstFirst ... 397797847887895896897898899907947 ... LastLast