Page 886 of 978 FirstFirst ... 386786836876884885886887888896936 ... LastLast
Results 8,851 to 8,860 of 9776

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Unfortunately I need Excel/VBA for school projects as they must be submitted in a format dictated by the professor.

Aside from working on those projects I never log on to the Windows 7 side of my laptop.

My home desktop is completely Ubuntu12.04 since Windows XP was far too sluggish for my taste.

I'm not much of a gamer though, 15 to 30 minutes of Nexuiz every now and then is all I really need

Beans

I was nearly tempted to dual boot because I was nearly tempted to get a new iPad, but that wanton desire has since passed with the Nexus 7 (and not 'needing' the iOS apps I thought I would after going back to Android after iPhone!)

So..this weekend my little Dell Inspiron Mini 10 is about to become a complete Ubuntu only machine since I can do everything I need to do with Ubuntu once again (its been a while!)

Although I also run Ubuntu 12.04 on my Android phone as well hehehe

Beans

My employer supplies a laptop that I have to use for work. At home I have two PCs that I have built, one is exclusively Ubuntu and the other is a dual boot so I can test my website updates. Otherwise it's Linux 24/7/355.

Beans

I am 99% switched to linux. I use windows only when someone really insists I present something with powerpoint instead of a pdf. I really can't use Open office in such cases because MS Office messes things up and I don't want to run MS Office in linux with wine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by illopos View Post
    I am 99% switched to linux. I use windows only when someone really insists I present something with powerpoint instead of a pdf. I really can't use Open office in such cases because MS Office messes things up and I don't want to run MS Office in linux with wine.
    I never did use Power Point, but know it's a popular presentation tool. If I used Power Point I'm sure I'd also be using Libreoffice's Impress.

Back when I had viewed Power Point, I had found that you could save the power Point presentation and download a Power Point viewer for instances where your recipient didn't happen to have the Power Point installed (or purchased) on their machine.

I looked for something similar for LibreOffice Impress so that I could offer you a good resolution to help relieve your dependence on Microsoft.

First I'll mention that I understand how some of your clients will insist against a pdf presentation. Browsing the pdf files would leave something to be desired when you compare it to the interactive features of presentation packages.

At a glance on the LibreOffice site I noticed a suggestion to export the project to a Flash (.swf) file. Using this method you won't be restricted to clients who have purchased Microsoft Power Point. Also you'll no longer have to suffer for the "messed up things" Power Point does to your LibreOffice presentation.

This may allow you to delve deeper into the Linux applications and become more expert in this capacity.

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Beans

i am running linux form almost 5-7 years as main desktop now but

form time to time when i get bored i check windows too for update and test antivirus.....etc

Beans

I am getting closer to making ubuntu my primary o/s. I'm about done with the pc games that I had any interest in. A few tools like anydvd are handy but its rarely needed because grabbing a bluray off the shelf is simpler than running a media server. All I need are the basics. My next pc will probably be something small and power efficient.

Beans

Angry Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Nope, can't go without Windoof.

I'm bound to an old graphic program that is not available for Linux and doesn't work with WINE. There are too many files made with that program and no other graphic program is able to work with those.
    Was a bad choice in 1998.
    So I still have the choice at boot for LUBUNTU, WinXP (for that one program), PartedMagic (maintenance) and CloneZille (backups).

Beans

Im 99.9% Ubuntu, I dual boot but only so that if I need to quickly log on to Windows I can, and because I can't be bothered changing it

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by apollothethird View Post
    I never did use Power Point, but know it's a popular presentation tool. If I used Power Point I'm sure I'd also be using Libreoffice's Impress.

Back when I had viewed Power Point, I had found that you could save the power Point presentation and download a Power Point viewer for instances where your recipient didn't happen to have the Power Point installed (or purchased) on their machine.

I looked for something similar for LibreOffice Impress so that I could offer you a good resolution to help relieve your dependence on Microsoft.

First I'll mention that I understand how some of your clients will insist against a pdf presentation. Browsing the pdf files would leave something to be desired when you compare it to the interactive features of presentation packages.

At a glance on the LibreOffice site I noticed a suggestion to export the project to a Flash (.swf) file. Using this method you won't be restricted to clients who have purchased Microsoft Power Point. Also you'll no longer have to suffer for the "messed up things" Power Point does to your LibreOffice presentation.

This may allow you to delve deeper into the Linux applications and become more expert in this capacity.

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Thanks for your reply. I usually use latex+beamer to create my presentations. The problem is not with my clients. It is with my colleagues, that too when we have to collaborate. I haven't tried libre office but when I use open office, the things are messed up by MS office even if I save in the right ppt format.

Page 886 of 978 FirstFirst ... 386786836876884885886887888896936 ... LastLast