Page 869 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 369769819859867868869870871879919969 ... LastLast
Results 8,681 to 8,690 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I haven't comply weened myself from Windows, but I do enjoy
    a hearty dual-boot with Ubuntu/Win7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I stared trying many deferent flavors of Linux, but finely I decided to settle on Ubuntu 6.04. Finley I drop windows like a hot potato since Ubuntu 8.10.

XP was the first and last best OS window produced.

All my devises I use have the Linux kernel build in to it.

I do plan to get an Apple PC, but I'll never drop Linux I just won't survive without it.
    "Ubuntu" is an ancient African word, meaning "humanity to others".
    Ubuntu also means "I am what I am because of who we all are".

=D> KNOWLEDGE IS NOT A PRIVILEGE..................IT’S A NECESSITY =D>

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Juvencio View Post
    I stared trying many deferent flavors of Linux, but finely I decided to settle on Ubuntu 6.04. Finley I drop windows like a hot potato since Ubuntu 8.10.

XP was the first and last best OS window produced.

All my devises I use have the Linux kernel build in to it.

I do plan to get an Apple PC, but I'll never drop Linux I just won't survive without it.
    Really? No love for 7? I really like the new bottom taskbar and how easy it is to manage your open windows. Also makes it super easy to share a printer and files over the network if all your computers are running windows 7. As far as apple linux is probably the reason i will never buy one of their computers. The only one that looks appealing to me is the Macbook air and I don't think I could justify spending $1000 on a computer just to run google chrome. My netbook running xfce debian does absolutely all I need from a netbook almost instantly and that only cost me $300
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nmyrick View Post
    My experience with Windows 7 is that it is just like the rest of the windows releases. It looks and runs really good when it is first installed, but then as you install more software, it slows down and blue screens every once in a while after a few months, just like all the other releases. No matter how well you maintain it.
    That's odd, I've had W7 for almost two years and not once did I ever get the blue screen of death and it never slowed down on me. Also had no issues keeping it virus free. I maintained it well; and was a fairly heavy gamer and bogged it down right with plenty of software.

W7 > XP.

But I use nothing but Ubuntu now. =P

Beans

Right now, I'm 100% Ubuntu. Once I get some more RAM, that'll change because I'll be Virtualboxing Windows XP for World of Warcraft and other games.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Xourii View Post
    Right now, I'm 100% Ubuntu. Once I get some more RAM, that'll change because I'll be Virtualboxing Windows XP for World of Warcraft and other games.
    what are the rest of your specs? virtual machines seem like it would require way more power than wine and probably not run the games any better if not worse than wine. Wine isn't a perfect solution either. Your best bet for games would be a dualboot but that is annoying just to reboot for games.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I use Xubuntu for my desktop and Lubuntu for my laptop. When I first gave Ubuntu a go over two years ago, it took me one whole week to decide to nuke windows from my computers. It took me that long mostly to get my data archived and backed up.

Being stuck with Windows 7 at work does not endear me to Windows one little bit. Brand new computers with 4GB and they have to be rebooted at least once per shift because of app crashes or being so sluggish as to be useless.

The only thing I can see that Windows excels in is GUI eye candy. But with all the ongoing problems with W7 at work, that eye candy seems to me like an analogy of a brightly and neatly gift wrapped box of rubbish.

I have to laugh when someone tells me they won't use Linux because it's "... too limiting ..." whatever that means. I told one fellow that Linux does drastically limit my access to anti virus and defragmenting software. He didn't get it. But ... oh well.

Beans

Wink Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Hi everyone!
    Sooner or later windows and unix/linux will be similar. Already windows updates and installs are fetched into the system without having to restart it every single time.
    Also, some linux systems are developing issues which are easier to solve by restarting the machine than by debugging.
    And with the cloud computing you will not see the difference anymore...
    So, to answer to the thread: as a home user I haven't switched completely to linux since now I write on my wifes' laptop - Vista Home Edition. However, at work I use only unix/linux based machines
    To anyone using one of them and thinking of switching to the other: please keep them both available unless you know exactly what you're doing!!!
    Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

7.04 that would 2008, now on a home built HTPC and 12.04 rocks and feels all my computing needs.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I am finally at the stage where i have made a full switch, although I still need my windows for the boxes of games for windows.... Most of which dont run properly on Linux.

So I dualboot... with linux as my primary OS and windows when I know it is gaming!!

I am dabbling in virtualbox, but due to video graphics constraints, i cannot run some games.. Older ones (that require hardly any graphic acceleration) works fine.

When will the rest of the windows world wake up and realise we have more than one OS out there!!

Page 869 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 369769819859867868869870871879919969 ... LastLast