Page 867 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 367767817857865866867868869877917967 ... LastLast
Results 8,661 to 8,670 of 10014

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I've dual-booted over the years. From Fedora and Gentoo to Debian and Ubuntu. Yet I laways find myself going back to Ubuntu.

Did a clean install of 12.04 64 bit. Rock solid. Erased the hard drive upon install, wiping Windows from my PC. So, I am now 100% Linux. Ubuntu, to be more precise. Pun intended.

No more Windows, no regrets.
    Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without Music, Life Would Be A Mistake" - So, what album are you NOW PLAYING?

My Last.FM | My Original Music at Jamendo

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I'm a 30 years old programmer. Started in the nineties with Microsoft tools, mostly Visual Studio 6, vb5 previuosly, some other BASIC flavors, and a lot of HTML + scripting and server side.
    Switched to GNU/Linux in 2008/2009, but still with dual boot. Last year i completely removed Windows from my computer, i no longer take job offers regarding Microsoft technologies, and promote free software every time i got the chance.

Switching was A PAIN. Here, on Argentina, the programmers job market if full of C# and ASP.NET positions, and maybe some PHP or JAVA here and there. You can't just "choose", that simply, to take Microsoft out of your life: it's a lot of work, at least for a programmer (i don't think it should be for a casual user).

Microsoft is a disease, that's all i can say. No matter the cost, it should be removed from everybody's lifes as soon as possible. I loved Microsoft's tools for a long time, because i felt very productive as a programmer; but when i discovered the free software way of doing things, and the communities involved, i could no longer even pretend to take seriously any Microsoft product: they're like a bad joke.
    The client with the knife is always right.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I started using linux with Red Hat 5.3 in the mid 1990's. I haven't looked back. It has supplied all my needs. The learning curve back then was pretty steep and I am not very geek (old man). Nevertheless I have produced multimedia productions, 3D mesh modeling-texturing-rendering etc. Videos, documents, html and css, web stores and I am totally into special effects and digital graphics. Image manipulation, sound editing and a host of other things. One frustration I have had is that I have a microscope with a digital eye that only has windows drivers. There it sits, unused.
    ox is grateful http://www.singingfalls.com linux user #199890
    12.04 - 2 PCs and 1 Laptop - System 76 bonp5

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I completely switched over a decade ago... however, lately I've been trying out Windows 7, more out of curiosity than anything. I actually installed a dual boot setup for the first time in years on my laptop just to experiement.

Beans
    Hidden!

Because of my initial wipeout behaviour (then again, I wasn't happy about the Windows system), I cannot use the recovery disks for the laptop anymore.
    I have tried so many distros, but I often come back to Xubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My wife has had a laptop for four years now and she dual boots but mainly uses Ubuntu.
    The eldest son only uses iMac.
    The middle boy has recently changed to Ubuntu after using Linux Mint for a few years and only runs Windows in a virtualbox for college related work.
    The youngest went through high-school with her laptop using Linux Mint and ran Windows in a virtualbox for school work and now that she's outta school, she only runs Ubuntu and loves it!
    My laptop only runs Ubuntu!
    My work PC only loads Ubuntu and I run Windows--that connects to corporate AD--via virtualbox. The business driver that I motivate--and is approved by management--for exemption to not run a corporate image is that I get to fix any corrupt MS Office files and put them back on the corporate SAN--via LibreOffice--and fix the occasional USB drive that gets itself in a format-this-drive-mode and recover 'mission-critcal' files with testdisk. The fact that my Windows machine is more secure than the corporate-joe-soap-average... also helps!
    It's not what you know but who you know!

Beans

I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 as a main OS. I still have Windows 7 for my gaming. The only thing that I don't like in 12.04 is the Unity desktop, and the fact that I'm limited to only one panel and no customization. Bring back the Gnome menu!

Beans

Post Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I only use unity sometimes when I want to report bugs about it. There is only one reason Windows is still on my laptop: because ubuntu is not that stable and has bugs so I keep windows as a backup.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Talking Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I switched to Ubuntu in 2006 and the only reason I keep Windows on a dual boot system on my laptop is to download I-tunes songs.
    A second, desktop is 100% Ubuntu, currently 12.04 Precise, which by the way works like a charm. The best release ever!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

If you don't like unity just use the classic option at login

Page 867 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 367767817857865866867868869877917967 ... LastLast