Page 861 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 361761811851859860861862863871911961 ... LastLast
Results 8,601 to 8,610 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Hi,

I am Linux as primary boot since early 2008 (Ubuntu 8.04) installed a brand new machine (by then) build up out of different parts bought on Internet.

I do everything under Linux
    - Office work with Libre Office
    - Accountings with Kmoney (capable of importing Quicken files)
    - Thunderbird
    - UbuntuOne
    - Dropbox
    - Currently strunggling to have PHP working with Apache in order to test Joomla CMS
    - I do not play any game nor play around with video.

I keep Windows around as i need it for a InSight vision tool software from Cognex, would love to have it under linuw though.

Beans

It makes me proud to see so many people switching to Linux. Doesnt bother me which distro they choose as long as they are taking time to learn to really use their computer other then being a windows appliance mess.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I use win for scheduled download because there is not any good download manager like FDM or IDM in GNU but my default OS is GNU (ubuntu)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've been using Linux on and off for a number of years now. I started off using slax in the good ol' days where i had to upload my configuration to a webserver because there wasn't any persistence in live distros back then xD.

Then i started to use ubuntu. First distro i used was either 7.10 or 8.04. Though i used my PC to play games at the time so had to hop between linux and windows. Ended up dumping linux on that machine. But cutting things short, i tried a few distros since then, and finally decided to try ubuntu again. It's now running on my 6 year old PC with no problems, so all happy here! Also when i get a new laptop for university later this year, i'm definitely using 12.04 as my primary OS and probalby sole OS .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

To the OP: What exactly do you mean by "completely"?

I've completely switched all of my personal devices to the linux kernel. Right now, I'm drawn to (L)ubuntu, Debian, Backbox (on a live usb), and Android on my phone & tablet.

That being said, there are still two Windows-only PCs in my home. Both belong to my dad.

Beans

Just completely replaced Win Vista *spit* with Ubuntu 11.10 on an Acer laptop. My father completely trashed it by messing about with the system files so I couldn't do a factory reset after he picked up over 120 bits of malware because the recovery partition was naffed as well.
    But still got an E-Machines laptop on Win 7 and my desktop on XP. Also using a Nokia N900 (Maemo5 O/S) and surprised how well that matches Ubuntu in nearly all aspects apart from the desktop.

Beans

I have switched for good to Linux when I heard that surfing via wifi became possible.
    The name of the marvel was Ubuntu 7.04, downloaded un January 2008.
    My computers are in my workshop and I did not want to drill across the concrete floor, so wifi is the unique solution.
    Before that I had been compelled to use what you know, the 2000 version which has failed seriously once and later for good.
    I could retrieve all my stuff connecting the W$ disk as a SLAVE to a Linux Master
    Just after saving everything interesting (program files ? ..... I'm joking ) the disk was plugged as a master again and was converted to something a million times better
    The computer which is running, purchased empty, has a 1 To disk with :
    Ubuntu 10.04
    Hybryde EldoradOS
    Hybryde Evolution
    Voyager 11.10
    MacUbuntu
    Puppy Linux 4.3.1
    and Mandriva that must be replaced because its Grub1 is conflicting with Grub2.
    One one my brothers gave me a server where I run all kind of distributions scattered on 15 disks at least.
    I have still my good old dinosaur, rebuilt with some parts coming straight from a dustbin and still able to run a faithfull Linux with its 300 mhz and 256 mb RAM!
    Last year I could purchase a laptop with nothing inside after having searched for long months.
    Immediately I had tested Ubuntu 10.04 (the touchpad could not work), Open Suse, Fedora and eventually I have installed Mandriva, replaced by Hybryde EldoradOS fully, absolutely fully compatible with hardware.
    I am also a gamer and found many good games in repositories.
    My grandchildren enjoy playing with linux games and I hope that as soon as they are able to use their own computer, Granddad will install a penguin

Beans

Thumbs down Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I was ASTOUNDED that this "alternative" OS exists...and is FREE and is better by a long shot than windows and I believe superior to Apple(even though I own a pile of Apple stock).

I love, love, love Linux and use ONLY Ubuntu now because I am a newbie.

The only drawback is that I can't watch Netflix on Ubuntu....so, I have to keep a version of Windows on my computer....icky.

But Ubuntu is amazing!...I tell everyone about it. Last night at 2300 at a bar I was tellign all the drunk patrons about 'Ubuntu...yeah, promounced U-BUN-TU....just like it sounds...try it!!..you can install it side by side in a Windows computer and I gurantee the day will come where you are wiping your computer clean and installing ONLY U-BUN-TU"

I cannot support this OS enough!!...both in spirit and in cash...

Which brings me to the latter question of "Where can I donate?"....I tried and search for a site on this board to donate and ended up here.

For the future and benefit of the human race we MUST eliminate Windows!!!!!

THE IMMORTAL.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

To The Immortal,

I believe you can find out where to donate at http://www.canonical.com/about-canonical/contact .

Ubuntu is great! I've been windows free on my laptop since 2008!

Beans

I completely switched over in the last 24hrs after trying it side by side with winxp for... 12hrs!!!

Highly unlikely I'll go back to windows... well, I will be using it on Monday and have to unfortunately!!

Long live Linux

Page 861 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 361761811851859860861862863871911961 ... LastLast