Page 853 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 353753803843851852853854855863903953 ... LastLast
Results 8,521 to 8,530 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Talking Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

All Linux baby!
    I run ubuntu on my laptop, mythbuntu on my desktop I use as a media server obviously, Edubuntu on my nieces laptop, and peppermint OS on my parents laptop, Love em all and since i got a ps3 I don't miss windows at all, Look at my join date, that was the first day I ever tried Linux, I had been mulling it over for a few years before that, but bought into that bs line, "Linux is unstable and unreliable". I admit I've had a few issues that needed some fine tuning, but learning something has never scared me. Every issue I've had thus far has been solved via a few simple commands in the cli. I see no reason whatsoever to go back to lining bill and melinda's pockets. However I have made a few donations around the linux distros. I even have a friend who is a hardcore music engineer who is considering switching his brand new mac pro (idk G5 looking thing) over to Dream Studio. I'm a little skeptical about it, but he seems pretty sure, he has used Audacity for about six years anyways and swears up and down that it is the best recording software out there. I think he just likes the simple interface, but as a previously broke ex-musician myself I've used it and it is pretty darn good.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

yeah, dual booted in my first year in uni, switched completely in second. in third now, how can i go back to windows ever?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

It wasn't until I had numerous issues with Windows about 2 months ago that I finally threw up my hands in the air with frustration and said to heck with Windows....give me Linux. I actually started writing about my transition from Windows to Linux here.

I've only done a few posts but the more that I use Linux the more and more that I am falling in love with it. In fact in the past 60 days I would say that I have personally converted 3 to 4 people from using Windows to fully relying upon Linux. I have not heard any complaints thus far and believe me...if there was an issue...I would hear about it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by daslinkard View Post
    It wasn't until I had numerous issues with Windows about 2 months ago that I finally threw up my hands in the air with frustration and said to heck with Windows....give me Linux. I actually started writing about my transition from Windows to Linux here.

I've only done a few posts but the more that I use Linux the more and more that I am falling in love with it. In fact in the past 60 days I would say that I have personally converted 3 to 4 people from using Windows to fully relying upon Linux. I have not heard any complaints thus far and believe me...if there was an issue...I would hear about it.
    That's exactly my experience. And it wasn't because I didn't *try* to make Win7 work... found a kludge to set up a persistent connection between laptop and desktop only because Win7 Home Premium wouldn't do this: you had to upgrade to Pro for that feature.
    And of course Linux just *does* it.
    But the antivirus and whatever else was running was stuttering Firefox to a point of unusability. It finally got so bad that I said : "this is nuts!! And I paid *money* for this rubbish!" and went back - yes, back - to Ubuntu. And found that Cinnamon knew where my second monitor was.

Now my netbook and laptop are running Ubuntu fulltime even though they're dual-boot. My desktop runs Win7 HP 64-bit for Poser. Someday they'll create a Linux version. I hope. I wish.
    Linux User #445955
    Let's use a little common sense. Of course, that's not all that common.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I switched to Linux. Sometimes I go back to windows if I feel the urge to play some games, but after that I always get back to Linux.

But I find that linux is too scattered and that we are in need of a unified linux. I know many of you think that this freedom of distros and softwares is what linux is all about and I get the point, but in my opinion, Linux and the community would gain so much if applications, desktop systems and others, received major attention from developers, instead of having hundreds of unfinished/no so good applications. I mean, some of the most popular applications are lacking so many options (or need tons of pluggins) that if you want a good-for-everything application your either switch to windows or install several other apps.

Beans
    Distro

Linux doesn't care.

A unified Linux would be completely antithesis to the whole idea of what this OS is about. Which is what I so *love* about it. Mac people and Windows people go on and on over market-share and market penetration and that sort of rubbish. Means nothing to Linux. Nothing. As long as Linux users - which are legion - are happy, that's all that matters.

I so love and cherish this way of thinking. It is revolutionary. It obliterates the whole money/greedy/income-grabbing side of things.

Let's say I need some feature that only Audacity has. Load my file in that, use Audacity. Let's say I need some feature only Photoshop has. Load Win7, PS-CS3 and use it. It doesn't worry me to use Windows for specific tasks: I use Win7 HPremium 64-bit for Poser 2012... that's IT. Nothing else. 99% of everything else, I do in Linux because I can do it quicker, more reliably, without interference of OS-tasks like rude updates that think they are more important than my work.

It boils down to productivity. You seriously don't need everything in one app until you find yourself repetitively going back and forth between OSes... then, it's time for a plugin. In the meantime, use Windows for what it does offer.

Linux doesn't care.
    Linux User #445955

Beans
    Distro

Linux users are legion yes, but they are still dependable from money grabber windows and Mac.

In what terms would a unified Linux that would be the most compatible with every software, with better and more reliable software and professional solutions for everyone, would drop the feel of freedom you feel right now? It would still be developed by the community for the community, only better. "Regular" OS users will not quit windows for Linux, Linux is not for everybody.

People usually say they use Linux for everything except this and that, most people saying they left Windows because of the corporate policies and whatever injustices they feel. When will Linux become the real Everything you need? You may like the Linux today state of things but I am not comfortable being dependent from other OS. Its like having an iPhone and an Android phone.. what's the point!

Linux doesn't care but I'm sure users of linux care (at least some of them).
    But, there are flavors for everyone, so to speak. Freedom of OS choice!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Ikaru View Post
    Linux users are legion yes, but they are still dependable from money grabber windows and Mac.

In what terms would a unified Linux that would be the most compatible with every software, with better and more reliable software and professional solutions for everyone, would drop the feel of freedom you feel right now? It would still be developed by the community for the community, only better. "Regular" OS users will not quit windows for Linux, Linux is not for everybody.

People usually say they use Linux for everything except this and that, most people saying they left Windows because of the corporate policies and whatever injustices they feel. When will Linux become the real Everything you need? You may like the Linux today state of things but I am not comfortable being dependent from other OS. Its like having an iPhone and an Android phone.. what's the point!

Linux doesn't care but I'm sure users of linux care (at least some of them).
    But, there are flavors for everyone, so to speak. Freedom of OS choice!
    Right. Gotcha. I think. Trying to follow your line of reasoning... failing.

Linux is the "real Everything I need". Am I missing something?
    Linux User #445955

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Robynsveil View Post
    I use Win7 HPremium 64-bit for Poser 2012... that's IT. Nothing else.
    Seems to me Linux doesn't do everything for you, so..

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Ikaru View Post
    Seems to me Linux doesn't do everything for you, so..
    That's not a Linux problem, is it? Smith Micro haven't seen fit to develop a Linux version of their software.

The issue as I see it is that you expect one OS to do it all for you. I don't. I have a dedicated system for Poser. Doesn't do much else but that. And because I don't try to make it do all the other stuff I need doing, it does Poser beautifully.

Everything else, I do in Ubuntu on my laptop. And because I'm not trying to do anything graphics (besides Blender, Inkscape and GIMP on it... all native Linux apps) the laptop is fast and runs brilliantly well. It is a complete solution for me.

I don't try to make my laptop into a phone or make it do the laundry or any of the other things I need doing during the day. I'm happy with what it does do... enormously so. And the freedom to chose *which* distro and even *which* desktop has made the entire OS infinitely more appealing to me: if one distro or desktop doesn't have the solution, there's always another that does.

If you do require one standardised OS, there's always Windows or Macintosh.
    Last edited by Robynsveil; March 4th, 2012 at 01:31 AM.
    Linux User #445955

Page 853 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 353753803843851852853854855863903953 ... LastLast