Page 852 of 973 FirstFirst ... 352752802842850851852853854862902952 ... LastLast
Results 8,511 to 8,520 of 9726

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I can't find any stable software to record from my HD webcam. Or an video editing software that doesn't crash every 10 mins. I love Ubuntu in every other way, but it sure does suck when it comes to any kind of video editing or encoding or supporting video hardware. Over the years I must have tried over a dozen webcams on Linux and I have never had one install and run smoothly. I hate the fact Linux is always playing catchup to propotiary software.

Beans

I stopped using the blue screen while using windows 95SE. After reinstalling 95SE more than fifteen times after starting to keep count, I said this is total BS, that there had to be something better.
    I kept 95SE installed until I could learn Red Hat, then I dumped 95SE and have not looked back. After several years found Mepis. Then went to Ubuntu and back to Mepis, throw in Debian Woody there somewhere. And now I'm back using Ubuntu 10.10.
    Because "I" didn't know what I was doing most of my major problems came during new installs. And I did not know all this help was here just for the asking. But now with the newer install CDs and DVDs it's a no brainier to have a new install up and running in fifteen clicks or less!

Beans

Nah! I wish in retrospect i'd started with Linux.
    It says easy to use..but not if you've been using Windows for 10 or more years.
    Im still getting my head round the command prompt.
    But I had Ubuntu 8.10 a few yrs ago short term and Fedora 10 i tried..both seemed more stable than Windows..im dual booting with 7 and see myself using Ubuntu solely one day..i hate the greed that MS perpetuates over £100 pounds for a bloody licence key is disgusting in my book and it's not even as stable as Ubuntu it ease of interface is it's saving grace only.

Beans

I've completely switched. I'm a professional photographer and am so happy with digiKam and Gimp for stills and Kdenlive (which is just now getting reliable) for Video that I am living completely without Windows.

I do have Windows in VirtualBox just so I can access Netflix. But other than that I don't have want or use anything else.

Beans

Smile Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by danaross View Post
    I've completely switched. I'm a professional photographer and am so happy with digiKam and Gimp for stills and Kdenlive (which is just now getting reliable) for Video that I am living completely without Windows.

I do have Windows in VirtualBox just so I can access Netflix. But other than that I don't have want or use anything else.
    Everyone was wondering for a long time why does Netflix refuse to support Linux. Think about it, it works on Roku (Linux-based box) and it works on Android, so clearly not a technical issue. Guess what, Netflix CEO sits on board of Microsoft!

As for the running it in Virtualbox, why bother? Amazon streaming has all the latest titles and works in Linux like a charm. So does Hulu. If Netflix chooses to ignore me as a customer, I choose to ignore Netflix. Sounds reasonable, eh?

Beans

I would like to rid my laptop of Windows and just stick with Ubuntu, but I can't. I have to use Visual Studio C++ for one of my classes. I prefer code::blocks, but my professor is adamant on us using Visual Studio

Beans

I Use Ubuntu For Everything.

Pentesting.
    Programming.
    Browsing The Web.
    And Yes Even Gaming.

But I Dual-Boot.
    And Have XP Installed Bc I Test Scripts And Programs.

Now Theres Not Any Problem With Dual-Booting.

Hell You Could Even VirtualBox XP.

Beans

"Wow" is all,

Newer to Linux, just installed 11.10 on a very old machine, and yet appears to be mostly keeping up with my patience. I've become nothing-but completely frustrated and bored as of late with "Windows". So I needed to give my brain a little bit of stimulation and thought I'd dive into something I mostly knew nothing about. One thing that drove me absolutely NUTS was time it took for an "UN-responding" program to get outta my face in Windows. I already like the fact that if I "happen" to have a an "UN-responding" windows with Linux, I just simply Close the window, and it "CLOSES"! -Nice! Also, another thing that absolutely FLOORED me was how fast it took for Thunderbird to detect my mail settings! Unlike windows, where I would actually have to do the research myself as to what settings were required to set up Outlook. It took WAY to long as a USER/CUSTOMER to have to figure out. Linux did all the work for me, and it was done in less than thirty seconds. Yes I am new to Linux, and yes I still know practically NOTHING, but my first impressions are this; very user friendly to get the basic executions done, I seem to like the Unity interface as opposed to 9.04 interface years ago (again, from someone who just want's my computer to work) and everything is mostly easy to find and navigate. Also, a BIG thanks to those here who helped my get my sharing folder up and running between my XP laptop and my 11.10 machines. I love the support here, you guys were extremely reliable, you know what your talking about, and you were all fast to help out. Everything is awesome so far. Good job.

Peace.

Beans

4 or 5 years ago..

i found stuff about linux online and downloaded mandriva, learned how to put it on a disk, then installed

i was 16 years old and broke xp, woops!

it was my dads computer, he got very mad... i could never use it again.

so within 1 week of this incident i found a desktop and got it for exactly $1 (it was a very old machine) and installed and tried over 30 different linux distros, i finally found ubuntu and stuck with it till 2 years ago when i switched to mint, then last year when i switched to debian.

now i'm developing my own distro based on debian sid

since i first started using linux i have used windows to..

- try to get it running well enough in VM for gaming, gave up on it, no need for it anyway.
    - fix friends computers.
    - my girl friend has it on 1 PC to put music on her itouch 4th gen (as it is still not supported on linux)

linux is the best there is. no windows needed in my life.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Please don't hate me for my reply, I'm mostly killing time but truth be told I am a hard core Windows user and I use Linux because I find that I just have to sometimes. I have literally used EVERY SINGLE VERSION of the MS operating system collection from MS-DOS to Windows 8. I have also used over 20 linux distoes. I do like to experiment. My issue with Linux is that it's way to complex for every day tasks and for customizing. I might be able to do more on Ubuntu but the Windows 7 control panel offers me a lot more flexibility then the plain default equivalent on Ubuntu. When Windows Vista failed me a few years ago I did become a full time Ubuntu user for almost 6 months, but then I got Windows 7 and honestly it never gave me problems. I don't have to care about if consuming too many resources or anything because my machines are all beasts and I am a hardcore PC gamer. I tried WINE and ports and all that other good stuff but it simply doesn't let you play Crysis2 on Ultra High or Skyrim or GTA IV or NFS. Hell HL2 via WINE runs just well enough to play it. That and I use a LOT of adobe products and got very used to the MS Office suits. I know that technically there is equivalent software for free both on Windows and Linux but I've been using it for so long that even if GIMP and OO.O were as powerful as their proprietary counter parts the transition is just too hard for something I don't need to do. Particularly because I can get all this software for free legally (well someone has to pay, but that someone isn't me or my parents).

In fact, I even stopped dual booting, because it was causing trouble for my poor incompatible windows so now I run EVERYTHING from within Windows 7, including Windows 7 it self in VMs. This is a Quad Core VM with 4gigs of RAM running Ubuntu 11.10 in full screen which I have been using exclusively for a little while now because I am working on it, but it gives me the power of a full machine with the flexibility to switch into windows to work on other projects.

Case in point I will probably never switch to Linux full time (aside from my phone) and I am even less likely now that even Adobe abandoned this platform completely by stopping flash support. With that said though, if I can get my Ubuntu to look and work just right (it's why I came to the forums) I might use it a lot more often... maybe even enough to actually dual boot it and use it as my primary OS. But as long as I am fortunate enough to have powerful machines and good software I don't think Windows is going away and it will never go away completely as long as society uses it (Unless of course windows 8 becomes the Next ME and Vista and Windows 7 becomes the next XP and they can't get windows 9 right either, if that does happen then bye-bye Windows).

I just thought this would be an interesting point of view, a slight change from the normal one seen here
    Last edited by DeathShot; February 26th, 2012 at 09:03 AM. Reason: a few typos

Page 852 of 973 FirstFirst ... 352752802842850851852853854862902952 ... LastLast