Page 836 of 968 FirstFirst ... 336736786826834835836837838846886936 ... LastLast
Results 8,351 to 8,360 of 9679

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by Kolusion View Post
    Older people don't like change, or hassles, but younger people are more tolerant. Old people won't switch to Linux, its the younger people that will, and if younger people can't play there games, then they will not give up Windows. Simple.
    If it weren't for my aversion to sweeping generalities, I might say that older people are probably less afraid of change than younger people.

Anyway, I first installed Ubuntu about 5 years ago when I was 65. I removed windows from all of my PCs about a year ago. I am dual-booting 10.04 and 11.10 on this HP desktop (don't much like 11.10 & may replace it with OpenSuse 12.1). I have an older Compaq on which I am running Bodhi - just so I have a backup.

comment - I don't post here very often, and the policy seems to be that I can no longer edit my profile to reflect what I am actually running until I have 50 or more posts.
    Last edited by Jerry41; December 9th, 2011 at 04:48 AM. Reason: add a comment

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I am the same. This reason is the most common reason why people hang onto Windows. The problem with most Linux developers is that most are out of touch with reality, which is why Linux has been sitting on 1% marketshare for the last, well forever! With iD Software's open-source engines, the community and developers such as Canonical could produce great games and luir more people in the Linux world. Older people don't like change, or hassles, but younger people are more tolerant. Old people won't switch to Linux, its the younger people that will, and if younger people can't play there games, then they will not give up Windows. Simple.
    Hmmmm "
    Old people won't switch to Linux, its the younger people that will.
    Please do not talk for me.
    UsingTheTerminal

Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Kodak printers should now work in unbuntu 11.10 for the ESP xxxx series or using the latest version of c2esp from sourceforge for the Cxxx or Hero series.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/cupsdriverkodak/

Beans

Linux only for 7 + years now. My kids have windows 7 and a macbook and I use windows xp at work but home it is linux.

Slackware, Ubuntu and fedora

Beans
    Hidden!

Haven't used windows for years. I only have an installation of Xp in VirtualBox for when I'm compelled to use a windows program that won't work well in wine. I've never owned a copy of Windows Vista or Windows 7. Because I've built my own computers since switching, my current machines have never had windows on them at all.

I have a few games from when I used to run Windows but I'm not an avid PC gamer. I use a (non-microsoft) videogame console for most of my gaming needs. PC Games can be a problem because getting them to work in wine can be frustrating and they'll not function well in virtualbox either. If the main reason you have a computer is the latest hi-def games, you might as well stick with windows. Microsoft is quite well entrenched there with the PC/XBox ecosystem and I don't think it will change imminently.

Beans

I would if I could stand playing console games entirely but as the currency goes....

WASD, it's what moves me.

Beans

Not only me, but I've actually got my whole household running either Ubuntu or Mint (the older folks seem to prefer Mint) Score 5 for Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I've been off *doze since Vista came out. The hardest to leave IMHO was Server. *nix is effing powerful, but no where near as easy to setup a complete network that "just works." Amahi is attempting to remedy this, but it's got a LONG way to go before it catches up with MS Server.

Yes almost anything you can do with MS you can do with *nix, but it's only for those with lots of time to read man pages and lookup obscure errors that you WILL run into configuring even a basic network.

That being said, I've got LOADS of time

• OpenBSD PF firewall
    • Ubuntu 11.10 workstation
    • Ubuntu 11.10 XBMC (The bane of my existence, and the coolest PC in the in my home)
    • Fedora 14 (Amahi)
    • Gentoo Astrisk box (I have a home business and Astrisk is the way to go)
    • LinuxMCE (testing, mostly a PITA and not worth the work)
    • MacBook Pro (dual boot Ubuntu, but rarely use OSX anymore, it's only still there because I haven't upgraded all my music to DRMFree)

If anyone has any suggestions for Linux home automation, I'd be very interested, LinuxMCE is horrible, and XBMC no where near as powerful as I am looking for.

Beans

Smile Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I'm another 'Old Fogie'in my sixties, 'afraid of change'..my a**,
    The only changes I don't like is the 'improvements' that limit my choices and access to controling MY Compute-envoirnment.
    To be able to re-install you current settings 'in full' wont'be easy.
    I tried Remastersys several times in the last week and it did not work for me.

This process below restored 99% of my System in one go!

Save a list of your installed packages on the old machine with the command " dpkg --get-selections > ~/packages ",
    this will save a plain (gedit) text File named "packages" on the Home Folder.
    Copy this "Packages" File on to a USB.
    You can then restore your 'Packages/Programes' on the new Computer by copying the file to the Home Folder of the New Computer and run this command ...
    sudo dpkg --set-selections < ~/packages && apt-get dselect-upgrade.
    Note: I had to 'Log-in' as 'root' User to be sure it worked.
    As 'root' user there are 2 'Home' folders, Save the 'packages'
    text file to the 'Home' Folder you created for 'yourself'

It should work! for me it installed all but 5 out of 1,997 packages, One of which was 'GoogleChrome', do a list and compare.
    Last edited by xfatherjack; December 13th, 2011 at 07:09 PM.

Beans

Wink Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

This is another way that I found on the internet that will save all your work (Downloaded-Installed Programs/Packages).

Open a Terminal and paste these commands...
    $ sudo apt-get install dpkg-repack fakeroot

$ mkdir ~/dpkg-repack; cd ~/dpkg-repack

$ fakeroot -u dpkg-repack `dpkg --get-selections | grep install | cut -f1`
    This command will probably take hours to complete, depending on the size of your system. It will leave you with a Directory with up to, or in excess of 2,000 “.deb” Packages-Applications in a Folder "dpkg-repack" in your “home” folder.

Save the Folder "dpkg-repack" on to a USB or external HD

To re-Install 'all' onto a 'Fresh' ubuntu system.
    In Terminal,
    Go to the folder with the packages... "dpkg-repack" and ….
    Input the following command
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    Again this command will probably take hours to complete.
    To finalize everything, run..
    sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade

Page 836 of 968 FirstFirst ... 336736786826834835836837838846886936 ... LastLast