Page 835 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 335735785825833834835836837845885935 ... LastLast
Results 8,341 to 8,350 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

My Asus G50v is 100% pure Linux...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

On my Desktop I have Windows XP only, I had too many problems with hardware installation such as screen resolution, TV card, keyboard. Last installation of Ubuntu failed, there is no Grub to choose a OS, so I gave up there.

Laptop:
    I still have a windows partition with Windows XP.
    The reason are applications I have not succeded in making work in Ubuntu: Voipbuster, (I do not want to use wine), others I have not found an equally good substitute: Photoshop (I use Gimp, Xara and SK1), Dreamweaver (I use KompoZer), Foxit PDF Editor (I use PDF editor but I cannot insert images with it), Flash, Autocad.
    Since I only need those (substitutes do most of what I want - perhaps I do not know how to use them yet), I spend months without booting into windows.

But I am hoping one day to switch completely to ubuntu.

Regards,

Yoram
    Yoram David

Beans
    Hidden!

Old people won't switch to Linux
    Retired, I switched 3 years ago after yanking the yoke of my company forced-fed Windows.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I haven't booted Windows in a long time on my computers. My company provides Windows computers at work and I use a Citrix client when home, if needed, to have that company forced Windows use satisfied. For my personal use, I removed Windows 7 from my computer and have only Ubuntu installed. I don't really want that virus trap on my computer. My 7 yr old and my 11 yr old both use Linux, as does my wife. All of us hate the thought of booting into Windows.

Beans

I still keep a small partition with windows 7, for walking my family thru procedures over the phone. I haven't used for myself in nearly 2 years.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kolusion View Post
    Older people don't like change, or hassles, but younger people are more tolerant. Old people won't switch to Linux,
    I'm 58. I like change. Switched to Ubuntu 5 years ago and haven't looked back.
    What I don't like are blanket opinions with no basis.
    Beans?? But I'm a Tea drinker!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by 3pinner View Post
    I'm 58. I like change. Switched to Ubuntu 5 years ago and haven't looked back.
    What I don't like are blanket opinions with no basis.
    Ditto that. 50+ and switched 99% to Ubuntu a year ago -- but I worked in Unix R&D Labs in Silicon Valley for many years (though maybe he was referring to OLD people :-)
    The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there should be no difference but, in reality, there always is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Banglaboy View Post
    Dear friends,
    I am using Ubuntu 11.10 dual booting with windows 7. (Ubuntu is installed inside Windows through Wabi). I want completely switched to Ubuntu 11.10 but keep ubuntu present setting and program (not want to download all those again after fresh install). Now, is it possible any way to remove Windows 7 completely and keep present ubuntu .....
    Thanks ..... all
    "Remastersys" is best option for this. Search & install it. It makes iso image of your current os with all your settings & softwares. But i don't know if it work for 11.10 i am lucid linux user. It is perfectly working for me.

( Please ask questions in new thread.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Older people don't like change, or hassles, but younger people are more tolerant. Old people won't switch to Linux, its the younger people that will, and if younger people can't play there games, then they will not give up Windows. Simple.
    If it weren't for my aversion to sweeping generalities, I might say that older people are probably less afraid of change than younger people.

Anyway, I first installed Ubuntu about 5 years ago when I was 65. I removed windows from all of my PCs about a year ago. I am dual-booting 10.04 and 11.10 on this HP desktop (don't much like 11.10 & may replace it with OpenSuse 12.1). I have an older Compaq on which I am running Bodhi - just so I have a backup.

comment - I don't post here very often, and the policy seems to be that I can no longer edit my profile to reflect what I am actually running until I have 50 or more posts.
    Last edited by Jerry41; December 9th, 2011 at 04:48 AM. Reason: add a comment

Beans

I am the same. This reason is the most common reason why people hang onto Windows. The problem with most Linux developers is that most are out of touch with reality, which is why Linux has been sitting on 1% marketshare for the last, well forever! With iD Software's open-source engines, the community and developers such as Canonical could produce great games and luir more people in the Linux world. Older people don't like change, or hassles, but younger people are more tolerant. Old people won't switch to Linux, its the younger people that will, and if younger people can't play there games, then they will not give up Windows. Simple.
    Hmmmm "
    Old people won't switch to Linux, its the younger people that will.
    Please do not talk for me.

Page 835 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 335735785825833834835836837845885935 ... LastLast