Page 827 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 327727777817825826827828829837877927 ... LastLast
Results 8,261 to 8,270 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by expired_fox View Post
    Can't you read? I need 2.7. 2.7 ≠ 2.65
    You may add PPA. I do that for program, specially internet-applications like FF, bittorrent. Here is a link to ppa for Python 2.7 on lucid (10.04) https://launchpad.net/~fkrull/+archive/deadsnakes

By the way. About virtual machines.I used virtual-box to run XP, a while ago, does it not work for you? There are also PPA for it, but little older version are in the synaptic.

/Cheers
    /Azyx

Ubuntu 16.04LTS 64bit, 16.04 Lubuntu 32-bit on eeePCs and OSX on a G4 800MHz iMac (iLamp). I think I have an W7 on one of my Virtualbox machine under 16.04LTS?

Beans

I installed Ubuntu 11.10 on a new 1T HDD 4 days ago. Everything is working great!! I'm not going back!!

I do have an old Dell laptop with XP on it, but I just use that for collecting dust.

Beans

I only started using Ubuntu this September. Changed my desktop OS at work to 10.04 LTS (but retained Windows XP SP3 recovery partition (actually it was Windows 7 Professional but it was downgraded to XP), just in case ). I'm using VirtualBox to run those custom applications (written in VB6) used by our office. When I get my own personal laptop this coming Christmas, I plan to install Linux OS on it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by suspect x View Post

iam a new programmer and while am writing this post am still stuck with windows because i can't run virtual machines inside my ubuntu (i would like to install win in a virtual machine just in case )

but once i get it working I'll completely switch, no doubt!
    Go and google around for vmware for workstations. Ok it's not free (unless You wan't to experiment and use beta version of vmware server, this requires a lot of effort and knowledge). The vmware for workstations quit expensive but words his price. Then You can run almost all (except mac os) into a virtual station. With very good performance. Up to and included ubuntu 11.04 it does work perfectly. For 11.10 I do not now yet

Beans

Smile Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I have nearly totally converted to Ubuntu Linux, 11.10 on both my netbook and pc. Dual booting on my pc for the games I sometimes tend to play, and have to use VirtualBox with XP because Kodak printers don't support linuX .

I turned a year ago, and never regretted using Linux for my home machines.

Beans
    Distro

I haven't even attempted to read all 800+ pages on this thread, but here's my story for what it's worth.

After the Commodore 64, I'd been using $eattle $pyware from version 3.11 through to XP, but I don't agree with the (illegal?) "legal" restrictions imposed on users, the back door trojan presented as "remote assistance" in XP (how many "invisible" trojans are there?) or the numerous Index.dat files endlessly collecting information in case the police ever suspect me of a crime.

Whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty"? Nowadays it's guilty unless you're able to prove otherwise, and how do you "prove" a negative?

I'm not a criminal. I'm doing nothing wrong. I don't have anything to hide, but I DO have a right to privacy.

Unless I'm doing something wrong, my rights begin and end where I say they do.

It seems Micro$oft is power-mad, and has already created/subverted actual laws. Why would I want to give my money to an organisation like that?

Last year I found myself in the fortunate position of being able to have a computer purpose-built to my specification, and I decided I didn't want Micro$oft products anywhere near it.

It took me about a week to get used to the basics of Ubuntu (10.10 Maverick), and I've still got a lot to learn, but I will NOT be going back to "that other operating system". I'm a Linux convert, and am currently in the process of recruiting a few more.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Been using Ubuntu since 2006. I have tried several other distros but still keep coming back to the original

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

i am completely switched at home but the OS on my work computer is not my call. so if it were on me, i'd switch completely, but i can't

Beans
    Distro

I'm switched completely, except for games and for C# programming stuff (which I have to do for my study)
    Vim - Comfortable text editing and coding
    vim-autoformat - a code-formatting plugin for vim supporting various languages - https://github.com/Chiel92/vim-autoformat
    Vimperator - Fast browsing using keyboard only

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by expired_fox View Post
    Can't you read? I need 2.7. 2.7 ≠ 2.65
    Yes I can read, can you? I did not say anything about it being version 2.7.

I'm sorry if what I wrote offended your senses with my previous reply. I don't use Python, so don't know what is specifically important about the version that you require. I had a look through synaptic, for 10.04, to see what version of Python was in there, and discovered that the default appeared to be an earlier version than you mentioned and there was a version that appears to be later, and thought it worth posting. Not to say it had 2.7.

Page 827 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 327727777817825826827828829837877927 ... LastLast