Page 810 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 310710760800808809810811812820860910 ... LastLast
Results 8,091 to 8,100 of 10014

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I really want to like Linux. I have just bought a new PC and thought I would give it a try. I have been using it for a few days now and I'm still lost with it.

I like the lightness of it, although Ubuntu has a steep learning curve which I feel like I will never manage to achieve it is cleaner than Windows and is of course free.

I don't like the fact I can't get any of the Steam games (Civilization V and Call of Juarez:Bound in Blood) I have tried to work on wine, none of them I have managed to work properly. I also can't seem to find my CD drive which is annoying.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I am trying hard to keep to Linux. However, there are one or two Windows programmes I need to run and so I'm struggling to find a virtual means of doing that within Linux.

on top of that, I keep hitting brick walls that seem to take days to find any answer to - and then a lot of hard work.

But I think I'll get through that eventually.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I have one laptop ubunt one windows, and we have a media tower windows. the tower is beause my wife is not a big windows fan, the lappy is because I need my tablet to doodle, I ve been working on trying to get the .xorg to play but im working on it, ad fially the one that is glues to me is 11.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by StrongMocha View Post
    I really want to like Linux. I have just bought a new PC and thought I would give it a try. I have been using it for a few days now and I'm still lost with it.

I like the lightness of it, although Ubuntu has a steep learning curve which I feel like I will never manage to achieve it is cleaner than Windows and is of course free.

I don't like the fact I can't get any of the Steam games (Civilization V and Call of Juarez:Bound in Blood) I have tried to work on wine, none of them I have managed to work properly. I also can't seem to find my CD drive which is annoying.
    That's ok, it takes a while to learn. As you observed, there's a fairly steep learning curve to switching to Linux (as with most any other OS, for that matter). While many Linux distros, including Ubuntu, try to make it look and feel similar to Windows, behind the scenes it works a bit different, and anyone doing non-super-basic things will bump into those different ways of doing things from time to time.

If you can't find your optical drive, look for it in /media. It's likely to be something like /media/cdrom0.

Incidentally as a side note, one of those different ways of doing things is: in Windows, writing \media simply means that media is a folder--whereas in Linux, writing /media means that media isn't under any other folders. In other words, /media is an absolute path, whereas in Windows, \media is a relative path. \media could be right on the root of C: (C:\media), or it could be under something else (C:\Program Files\Media, or C:\MyStuff\Digital Stuff\media, etc.). So when I say to look at /media, you know it'll be at the top of your hierarchy, along with /home, /usr, /etc, etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Now that my company (IBM) has moved us to Lotus iNotes (I know I know we sell it to everyone else but took time for internal users) and full Lotus Live accounts - my work laptop is all Ubuntu Linux.

All of our collaboration software is hosted so runs in a browser. We have Lotus Symphony and Office 2003 installed.

Mirrors what I have at home - an Ubuntu 11.04 desktop, an IBM server running Ubuntu Server LTS as a file and print server.

My financial software is Jgnash, I use Banshee for all my media files and it syncs with my Motorola Droid X - ergo no need for an iPod.

Been 100% linux for about 6 years straight. Have never looked back!
    Finding New Ways to Use Ubuntu to Simplify My Digital Life.
    Linux - The Platform for a New Digital Generation.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I've been a penguin since around SuSE 8 I beleive, and Ubuntu with the first distro.

No need for Windows, the more I learn the more I love Ubuntu. I was a noob, now I'm pretty adept at solving my own problems now.

I love the Linux Kernel.
    Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.

Always remember to pillage before you burn.
    Don't argue with a fool. The spectators can't tell the difference

Beans
    Hidden!

I have been using Chrome OS exclusively since December 2010, before that multiple Linux distros as well as BSD and Haiku since about 2000.
    "Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." ~ Yoda

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by HappinessNow View Post
    I have been using Chrome OS exclusively since December 2010, before that multiple Linux distros as well as BSD and Haiku since about 2000.
    Man, I just am very wary of google products.

Google knows everything. I don't trust them running my desktop.

I hear it's a good os though.
    Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.

Always remember to pillage before you burn.
    Don't argue with a fool. The spectators can't tell the difference

Beans

Been running Linux only for almost a year now. Never going back!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The last time I booted Windows was a bit less than a year ago, and that was to make sure the new machine worked before I erased it.

It worked. I erased it. Hasn't worked since.

Page 810 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 310710760800808809810811812820860910 ... LastLast