Page 632 of 967 FirstFirst ... 132532582622630631632633634642682732 ... LastLast
Results 6,311 to 6,320 of 9663

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by OobNosferatu View Post
    am totally windows free! and i hate apple anyways... linux is sex.
    never heard linux described that way

i mean... i like linux, but ... uh, not in that way
    Someday we'll hit the human carrying capacity. And the band will just play on. -Me

I'm trying PHP, so my code can probably be labelled "bad and insecure"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Dayofswords View Post
    never heard linux described that way

i mean... i like linux, but ... uh, not in that way
    Plus you have to watch out for computer viruses!
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I've strictly using Ubuntu for a couple of years since my computer went on strike . I still have XP but cant't get to it. perhaps when the Karmic comes along I'll clean with both distros. But frankly I don't miss windows one bit.
    Jimthomas

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by halligan46 View Post
    I've strictly using Ubuntu for a couple of years since my computer went on strike . I still have XP but cant't get to it. perhaps when the Karmic comes along I'll clean with both distros. But frankly I don't miss windows one bit.
    Jimthomas
    Karmic "came along" back in October.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zenwhen View Post
    I haven't booted Windows for four months.

I play UT2K4, Q3, D3, SNES ROMS, and Frozen Bubble. I stay entertained.
    I switched over two week ago and love it. Feels good work with something that is not costing me a tonne of cash for licencing antiviruses and buying programs. I believe that people will turn away from Microsoft and join in with linux Not all people but a lot. I can not believe how easy it was to load Ubuntu right over XP and worked without a glitch "yet" I am here to stay. If something doesnt work. The forum has the correct answer or yuo can find it fast. I am enjoying Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Smile Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I completely swapped over to Linux about 3 years ago and will never go back to windoze. I have to use XP and Vista at work though and it feels like pulling teeth! Vista is the worst computing experience I have ever had and I'm not impressed with windoze 7 as yet.

I'm currently using Ubuntu 9.04 (I'll upgrade to 9.10 when the Flash issue has been sorted - although I haven't checked recently on that subject) on an E-Systems 4213 Celeron laptop and an AMD dual-core Athlon desktop. Both machines have Gnome, KDE and Xfce desktops which I select at boot depending what mood I'm in, or if I want to use an application that needs a specific desktop.

The laptop performance gave a monumental increase by installing Linux, it literally boots in seconds as opposed to a lifetime with the previous Vista. The machine was originally shipped with Vista Home Premium and crawled along like a lame tortoise! I can't believe some berk at Dixons/PC World tech dept decided to put such a bloated, unusable OS as Vista on a lowly powered machine!

I do have a question for anyone out there familier with this model of laptop - is it possible to upgrade the Celeron processor to one with more muscle? I have already upgraded the RAM to 2GB put I was hoping to experiment with 'virtualisation' but the Celeron 530 processor doesn't have the Intel-VT CPU flag. I was hoping a processor upgrade would address this.

Cheers for any answers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Not quite. I have been playing with Linux since Suse 6.0 and only now do I think that it is ready for prime time (in the shape of Ubuntu 9.10). So it has been gradual. I just converted my home file and tv server from XP to Karmic. My office machine and my wife's also are Karmic (and she can be a very impatient technophobe). I have a Karmic mini-ITX PVR where I am experimenting with different apps. There is another PVR which so far is XP but will become Karmic when I have sorted out NFS and NIS. That just leaves my daughter's Vista m/c which she is happy with (MSM and facebook mainly I think). And my laptop, which came with XP and probably will soon be Karmic.

When I first started, Suse 6.0 was a dog, and Karmic is way, way better (thanks guys). But there are still issues (like Firewire capture or SATA recognition) where there is work to do. And I wish they wouldn't keep changing the way it works (GRUB2 for example) These apart, there are few apps that I have collected along the way for Windows that aren't already in good shape under Ubuntu, allowing me to switch without loss.

If you are thinking of switching I say go for it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I used Win2000 until June 2006 then Ubuntu 6.06,8.10,9.04,9.10. Have dual booted opensuse,mandriva,mepis,zenwalk but prefer Ubuntu. Still use winxp at work no choice.

Beans

i swapped over to ubuntu last week. but being a gamer i run into a few issues that i am sure can be resolved if i finally put in the time that i need to resolve them.

Beans

Hi Friends,

I have completed 1 year in linux ( without windows ) and just shifted to ubuntu 9.10 from fedora 11.

I use xampp, netbeans and firefox, 90% persent of the time.

and rest goes on to tuning my laptop performance.

Though i do not hate any OS,
    But I am on the path to nirvana with the help of Linux.

If you what work with peace, then go for Ubuntu.

Page 632 of 967 FirstFirst ... 132532582622630631632633634642682732 ... LastLast