Page 552 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 52452502542550551552553554562602652 ... LastLast
Results 5,511 to 5,520 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by PLAATS View Post
    After using Ubuntu for 10 hours, i have completely removed vista from my laptop . this was before 1 month!

p.s. Unfotunately i use Wine for MS Office, cause we use it in the office . still i hope one day i will be 100% winfree and m!cro$oft free.

Cheers!
    You do not need to use MS Office.. Download and install The OpenOffice Suite. I use that and have had no problems with interoperability with people using MS Office. I do not know about the MS Office schedule application which I believe is used on commercial installations and which is driven by a company server.

HTH

Dave
    System: Ubuntu 10.10
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 4600+
    Gnome: 2.32.0
    Homebrew Workstation

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by misterfixit View Post
    You do not need to use MS Office.. Download and install The OpenOffice Suite. I use that and have had no problems with interoperability with people using MS Office. I do not know about the MS Office schedule application which I believe is used on commercial installations and which is driven by a company server.

HTH

Dave
    Just to add to the above quote, I too use OpenOffice with Ubuntu and I have no issues with compatibility from here to work, whereas at work we use Office 2007.

Just make sure if you're going to work with Office documents a lot it might be a good idea to change the default save setting in OpenOffice to save in Office format rather than OpenOffice's format.

Tools - Preferences - Expand "Load/Save" - General.

Bottom of page, "Document Type", change the following:

Text Document - "Always Save As" - Microsoft 97/2000/XP
    Spreadsheet - "Always Save As" - Microsoft 97/2000/XP
    Presentatiton - "Always Save As" - Microsoft 97/2000/XP

That way Word/Excel/Powerpoint documents in OpenOffice save automatically in Microsoft Office compatible standards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The only reason I still have Win XP is to download mp3's to my 30gb MS Zune. I got it as a gift and just haven't found any PMP's within my budget to replace it. Once I do, I can't wait to erase my NTFS partition. I do keep all my music and data on an external hard drive.

Beans

Got my new laptop (no desktop) and committed to the switch outright. Had only used Ubuntu maybe once before converting. I think I learned to swim in much the same way. I hate to say it, but I'm a little weirded out by using an OS that assumes I'm way smarter and savvy than I actually am.

Thank you for your faith, Ubuntu, however misplaced.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I still have Vista, because I still play some of my big MMPORGs on there...

But, I am still thinking about it...

Beans

I did. I only have windows until I can get my magickjack to work on linux with decent quality.

Beans

My personal box is Linux...My family still use Winblows and I'm loathe to touch them (the computers not my family!)

I hesitated for about 2 minutes before giving my new box a lobotomy since it had a new windows install and a bunch of software on it.
    But after watching it chug trying to open the programs menu I decided the kindest thing to do was to kill it.
    It just sings now!

Anyway I've tried about 20 different distros since I switched like 6 years ago?
    Puppy Linux (Skinny puppy, Chubby puppy {has open office}, Browser Linux {has firefox})
    SUSE (On like 9 disks?!?)
    Slax
    feather
    many many others...

and of course UBUNTU from 7.04 up. currently on 9.04
    KUBUNTU XUBUNTU EDUBUNTU and UBUNTU (Satanic edition)

I really like Puppy but UBUNTU has just made it too easy, everything gets recognized the install is sooo easy.

peterthinking

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Roasted View Post
    Just to add to the above quote, I too use OpenOffice with Ubuntu and I have no issues with compatibility from here to work, whereas at work we use Office 2007.

Just make sure if you're going to work with Office documents a lot it might be a good idea to change the default save setting in OpenOffice to save in Office format rather than OpenOffice's format.

Tools - Preferences - Expand "Load/Save" - General.

Bottom of page, "Document Type", change the following:

Text Document - "Always Save As" - Microsoft 97/2000/XP
    Spreadsheet - "Always Save As" - Microsoft 97/2000/XP
    Presentatiton - "Always Save As" - Microsoft 97/2000/XP

That way Word/Excel/Powerpoint documents in OpenOffice save automatically in Microsoft Office compatible standards.
    Very good tip. That is exactly what I do and it serves me fine.

However, there are not very much over formatted office files in this establishment. I do believe people have run into trouble before with very intricate formatted documents. It still has to happen to me so.
    Regards

longtom

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I use Win XP as a primary os. Wish to switch over to ubuntu once I learn linux and unix in future.
    Its asthetic sense is awesome. All windows lack its beauty and simplicity.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by peterthinking View Post
    My personal box is Linux...My family still use Winblows and I'm loathe to touch them (the computers not my family!)

I hesitated for about 2 minutes before giving my new box a lobotomy since it had a new windows install and a bunch of software on it.
    But after watching it chug trying to open the programs menu I decided the kindest thing to do was to kill it.
    It just sings now!

Anyway I've tried about 20 different distros since I switched like 6 years ago?
    Puppy Linux (Skinny puppy, Chubby puppy {has open office}, Browser Linux {has firefox})
    SUSE (On like 9 disks?!?)
    Slax
    feather
    many many others...

and of course UBUNTU from 7.04 up. currently on 9.04
    KUBUNTU XUBUNTU EDUBUNTU and UBUNTU (Satanic edition)

I really like Puppy but UBUNTU has just made it too easy, everything gets recognized the install is sooo easy.

peterthinking
    I would be careful about touching your family too until they get rid of their trrible virus. Wash your hands regularly.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Page 552 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 52452502542550551552553554562602652 ... LastLast