Page 54 of 970 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154554 ... LastLast
Results 531 to 540 of 9692

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

  1. #531
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Beans
    1,350

    Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

    I don't have the knowledge/expertise/patience to try Cedega/VMware and I don't want to spend money on something I don't even know works.
    I guess it does not require any special knowledge... You can always look into Cedega game database to make sure that the game is run fine under Linux...

    SimCity Rush Hours
    http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/games...l?game_id=3222
    Europa Universalis II
    http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/games...l?game_id=2735
    Civilization 3 Conquests
    http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/games...l?game_id=3238
    The Sims 2
    http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/games...l?game_id=3284

    As you can see some of the games a playable but some are still pain in the neck....

    Frankly speaking if you have a valid MS licence I do not see any reason to go into all troubles with Cedega, while you can dual-boot. Keep Windows for games and Linux for anything else...

  2. #532
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

    Quote Originally Posted by foxy123
    I guess it does not require any special knowledge... You can always look into Cedega game database to make sure that the game is run fine under Linux...

    SimCity Rush Hours
    http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/games...l?game_id=3222
    Europa Universalis II
    http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/games...l?game_id=2735
    Civilization 3 Conquests
    http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/games...l?game_id=3238
    The Sims 2
    http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/games...l?game_id=3284

    As you can see some of the games a playable but some are still pain in the neck....

    Frankly speaking if you have a valid MS licence I do not see any reason to go into all troubles with Cedega, while you can dual-boot. Keep Windows for games and Linux for anything else...
    I've heard of Cedega, but I've heard some bad things about it--like exagerated claims the company makes, like people not being able to get a single game running, like needing a no-CD crack for most games, like the company being unfriendly to Debian Linux and so forth. But I will eventually check it out though. But I feel I need to learn a lot more about Linux before I'm ready to venture into something like that.

    I do have legit copies of all my games. So yes, I can run everything I want to run right now in Windows XP and yes it is the most practical solution right now. But I'm looking into the future to the possibility of completely getting rid of Windows and sooner or later I'm going to buy a new PC so...

    1. Windows XP may not be able to run on the new computer for whatever reason...it is guaranteed that sooner or later Windows XP will be too old to run on newer hardware. For example, Windows 98 cannot run on my current computer because Windows 98 only supports 512Mb of RAM while my computer has 1024Mb of RAM.

    2. Even if Windows XP can run on the new computer, it may be too old to be able to run the games that I want to run. There will be newer versions of SimCity, Civilization etc... that I need to consider and if, by that time, game companies have discontinued support for Windows XP then Windows XP is no longer useful to me for the latest games.

    3. If Windows XP can't run on the new computer, then I need to either buy the current version of Windows (whatever version that may be) just to play the games I want OR by this time I've found a solution for running the games I want to run on Linux without Windows--therefore I wouldn't need to buy Windows with that machine. And since Windows is always significantly cheaper when bought with a new PC as opposed to buying it seperately, the decision to get Windows has to be made when I buy a new PC.

  3. #533
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Sweden
    Beans
    408
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

    I erased Windows about a year ago. I started out with Fedora 2, which was really good. Then I switched to Fedora 3, which was worse than #2. After a while I tried Fedora 4 which was better.

    When a friend asked me to installd some linux distro on some old computer to give him, I tried Ubuntu since I had heard that it was quite easy to use. I liked it so much that I now use it instead of Fedora.
    The only pain so far is Matlab which won't even begin the installation...

    I have tried Ubuntu on my iBook, but I'll stick to OSX for the time being...

    The only thing I miss about windows is games, but since I try not to play to much, Linux is actually better for me!

  4. #534
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Malaysia
    Beans
    157

    Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

    Quote Originally Posted by sx460
    I find it annoying how people bash Windows left and right and say it's a "piece of crap" and so insecure and unstable. I dislike Windows because of it's price, the fact MS creates it and tries to take over the world by it, I'm not running a legal copy of it, and that losts of the software that runs on it and is great software costs money. I want something less expensive to legally own. I want something that doesn't support the evil MS empire. While everyone is saying how instable Windows [XP] is, I find that hard to agree with. I run it now and it runs great for me. Yes, I have a virus scanner and have to be careful where I surf and have to scan for viruses/spy/adware every once and a while, but being careful I rarely if ever get infected which I believe is what most of you all are complaining about when you describe Window's insecurities.

    For a moment get off your Linux high horses and take a second to not lie to yourself about how hard it can be to install video drivers, get the network to work, remove installed programs/track ones you've installed, the cumbersomeness of having to use to the console to fix some (not all) setting/problems. Windows has the beauty of the double-click where you can double click your downloaded video drivers to install them as well as any other program. I'd say a big problem with people not wanting to adobt Linux is because of the initial and ongoing frustrations that occur because it's an ubber-geek centric OS. I'm planning on switching over to Kubuntu 100% (and have an old PC running Windows for seldomly used, non-ported apps like DVDShrink and the different Xbox interoperability software).

    I love Linux because I respect it's "let's take a stand back" approach to enhancing security and features. Most importantly I love the strong communities that are built up around it and the grassrootness. It gives warm fuzzies to use and support it, and it gives hope in a time plauged with Windows monotany. It's helped the l33t g33k to become cool. But let's not get on our high horses about the ease of use of Linux and it's ability to answer all of life's questions because when we do that, we hinder Linux's great development with of our Linux arrogance.
    i agree completely.i had no problems with win xp.we should not bash windows but instead focus on improving linux.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Registered Linux User #391336
    matthias media two ways to live - the choice we all face
    www.matthiasmedia.com.au/2wtl

  5. #535
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Beans
    744
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

    I dual boot. I used to only use MEPIS, but then I bought XP pro for 15$ and office for 7$. I had to really think about whether it was worth the expense to buy them, but I needed to run Chemdraw. But after I installed Windows, I discovered Ubuntu and then xdrawchem. So I'm back to using Linux pretty much exclusively. Any chance of porting apt-get to XP?

  6. #536
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

    Quote Originally Posted by Qrk
    I dual boot. I used to only use MEPIS, but then I bought XP pro for 15$ and office for 7$. I had to really think about whether it was worth the expense to buy them, but I needed to run Chemdraw. But after I installed Windows, I discovered Ubuntu and then xdrawchem. So I'm back to using Linux pretty much exclusively. Any chance of porting apt-get to XP?
    Exactly where do you buy a legal and official copy of XP Pro for 15$? Last time I checked, XP Pro was something like 399$ and XP Home was something like 249$. I live in Canada.

  7. #537
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Brasil
    Beans
    15

    Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

    exactly yesterday i made a new partition to ubuntu 5.04 but i dunno how to use it completly and i need internet connection to it but cant, my adsl haves dynamic ip and i cant configure it, help me here:
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=61991

  8. #538
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Beans
    300

    Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

    Quote Originally Posted by Qrk
    I dual boot. I used to only use MEPIS, but then I bought XP pro for 15$ and office for 7$. I had to really think about whether it was worth the expense to buy them, but I needed to run Chemdraw. But after I installed Windows, I discovered Ubuntu and then xdrawchem. So I'm back to using Linux pretty much exclusively. Any chance of porting apt-get to XP?
    You got scmmed there is no way you can get a new legal copy of Windows XP for 15 $ the cheapst you can find it for is 80$. Its more than likely that yours is pirated copy.

  9. #539
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Asia and Europe
    Beans
    75
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

    My computer's 100% ubuntu, and this is for 3 reasons:

    1. Principle. I disagree with the barely-legal immoral business tactics of microsoft. I like the freedom of linux, even if it can sometimes be much more work to do something.

    2. I've only got a 20gb hard drive and couldn't really have both linux and windows on there at the same time anyway!

    3. Ubuntu is my choice, because paying to upgrade Suse was not an investment I wanted to make at the time, and also my laptop was having trouble running KDE without overheating. Gnome is much better in this respect.

  10. #540
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Brasil
    Beans
    15

    Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

    Quote Originally Posted by bjweeks
    You got scmmed there is no way you can get a new legal copy of Windows XP for 15 $ the cheapst you can find it for is 80$. Its more than likely that yours is pirated copy.
    he didnt said it was legal, if he want use pirated thingees, let him do it, i got roller coaster tycoon 2 for $4 and its pirated. big deal, now i can do cool roller coasters

Page 54 of 970 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154554 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •