Page 53 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153553 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I went from DOS to OS/2 Warp, and in 94/95 started using Slackware. Still using Slackware today, along with Suse 9.1 Pro and Kubuntu, which I just installed on my brand new laptop.

I tried Windows once for 2 days. It's a stupid unreliable game!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Now i'm a compltely user of linux.

Ubuntu, wiiiiiie.

Only problem i have is my external hdd freeze. ( Lacie 250gb, im working on it... )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Linux only in my house
    o Wait, maybe I've got an old pentium II gaining dust in the attic somewhere...

Beans
    Hidden!

Edit: I must amend my post i have now completly switch to linux..
    Last edited by John.Michael.Kane; September 7th, 2005 at 11:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by SD-Plissken
    I would be totaly switch to linux if only for the fact that help is no ware to be found when you have software issues.. it comes down to diy and post the fix for the rest.. or break the os figuring out how to do something..
    ...and that's different from windows how?

With Windows, you have a larger installed base, but not much control over what's really going on. Take your pick.

Beans
    Hidden!

.........post above edited mods remove thank you
    Last edited by John.Michael.Kane; September 7th, 2005 at 11:29 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

......Mod please delete: post above edited..
    Last edited by John.Michael.Kane; September 7th, 2005 at 11:28 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SD-Plissken
    I would be totaly switch to linux if only for the fact that help is no ware to be found when you have software issues.. it comes down to diy and post the fix for the rest.. or break the os figuring out how to do something..
    help IS to be found, you just must look in the right places..IF you can't find help here on these forums ( unlikely but it could happen),,you can find help in IRC in many places..

irc.freenode.net | #lemmings < for starters...lots of decent knowledgeable people hang there and all willing to help at any time you need it...tiny example but thats one place ;( I should know I hang there all the time with good solid friends ..longtime linux veterans)

I can't quite switch completely until I find a way to replace this stupid msaccess, but hey my bad for choosing it to begin with ! .)

cheers and good luck
    nl

Beans
    Hidden!

removed and post above edited:

Mod may delete this..
    Last edited by John.Michael.Kane; September 7th, 2005 at 11:27 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I've been using Linux now for about two weeks but I still need Windows XP for games. I only play RTS games like Age Of Kings, Europa Universalis II, SimCity 4 Rush Hour, Civilization 3 Conquests, The Sims 2 etc... I can't get anything other than solataire to run in Wine and I don't have the knowledge/expertise/patience to try Cedega/VMware and I don't want to spend money on something I don't even know works.

The problem is, is that RTS games (with the exception of The Sims 2) have not and will never be ported to the gaming consoles, which means I'm pretty much stuck with MS-Windows INDEFINITELY. For example, I want Civilization IV when it comes out and know sure that it will never be released on a console. I think gaming consoles are good for FPS games and that's it.

Furthermore, I need to be able to mod games but I've heard console games cannot be modded--which is probably another reason why RTS games are not made for consoles because EVERYONE mods them. Even if they could be modded, they probably don't share the same data structures (like EA Games DBPF) which means that a mod made for a PC version of the game won't work with a PlayStation version of the game. This is a huge problem because I play heavily modded SimCity and Civilization games.

Getting rid of Windows is like a toilet that won't flush.
    Last edited by blastus; August 31st, 2005 at 12:41 PM.

Page 53 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153553 ... LastLast