Page 51 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151551 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by essexman
    There are a few websites i can't use; ebuyer have lost my custom as a result and my electricity supplier will be ditched soon - but that is their lost for insisting their customers use IE/windows set-up.
    it is quite strange... I am using ebuyer on my Ubuntu box and laptop without any slightest problem.

Beans

My primary OS is Mac OS X, and now Ubuntu as a strong second. The only reason I own a Windows OS at this point is that I like to play poker online, and the downloadable software works better than playing at a site using java or flash for me.

If I can get WINE installed and running the programs I want to run....goodbye Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

I think I posted on this like 10 pages back or something

Well, my updated situation... I dual boot but only because my little brother uses windows and my mp3 player is windows only. (Sony is mean!). I am gonna get my little brother to use linux soon but that still leaves my mp3 player and some games (Age of empires, age of mythology) and I dont have cedega and wine only gets simple things like the windows calc and notepad to work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Quake
    I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.
    I have switched completely. I use ubuntu as my desktop and ClarkConnect as a home server. I also am a bit of a gamer but thats to Cedega and a growing number of games I do just fine!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by beeldings
    I was done with Windows back in April. I was sick and tired of the constant updating just to protect your PC from viruses and spyware. Besides the fact that the whole operating system was a piece of crap to begin with and very insecure. I'm not into PC gaming, so Linux is fine with me. I do basic Internet functions and I like to download and burn CD's. But, the only thing that I really haven't been able to do in Linux that I could have easily accomplished with Windows is burning VCDs. It's just so damn complicated that I really haven't bothered with it. With Windows, I would load up Nero, let it convert my files and burn the disc. I also liked to burn emulators for my Dreamcast, which is another thing I cannot do with Linux. Oh, and I used Windows as a video editing platform with my Dazzle DVC USB capture card. I can't do that with Linux because I cannot find the module or program that can detect the capture card and actually capture video with it. Other than those pet peeves, I'm loving this Linux thing.

Linux needs a killer app like Nero. K3B is good, but it not as good as Nero. Since I've migrated to Gnome from KDE when I installed Ubuntu about a month and a half ago, I've been using X CD Roast to burn my data/audio CD's.

The best part about Ubuntu: my mother can get on-line to check her e-mail and surf the web without any help from me. I don't have to worry about her opening a malicious link in an e-mail or downloading some spyware crap or contracting something through ActiveX. For my mother, everything just works.
    I find it annoying how people bash Windows left and right and say it's a "piece of crap" and so insecure and unstable. I dislike Windows because of it's price, the fact MS creates it and tries to take over the world by it, I'm not running a legal copy of it, and that losts of the software that runs on it and is great software costs money. I want something less expensive to legally own. I want something that doesn't support the evil MS empire. While everyone is saying how instable Windows [XP] is, I find that hard to agree with. I run it now and it runs great for me. Yes, I have a virus scanner and have to be careful where I surf and have to scan for viruses/spy/adware every once and a while, but being careful I rarely if ever get infected which I believe is what most of you all are complaining about when you describe Window's insecurities.

For a moment get off your Linux high horses and take a second to not lie to yourself about how hard it can be to install video drivers, get the network to work, remove installed programs/track ones you've installed, the cumbersomeness of having to use to the console to fix some (not all) setting/problems. Windows has the beauty of the double-click where you can double click your downloaded video drivers to install them as well as any other program. I'd say a big problem with people not wanting to adobt Linux is because of the initial and ongoing frustrations that occur because it's an ubber-geek centric OS. I'm planning on switching over to Kubuntu 100% (and have an old PC running Windows for seldomly used, non-ported apps like DVDShrink and the different Xbox interoperability software).

I love Linux because I respect it's "let's take a stand back" approach to enhancing security and features. Most importantly I love the strong communities that are built up around it and the grassrootness. It gives warm fuzzies to use and support it, and it gives hope in a time plauged with Windows monotany. It's helped the l33t g33k to become cool. But let's not get on our high horses about the ease of use of Linux and it's ability to answer all of life's questions because when we do that, we hinder Linux's great development with of our Linux arrogance.
    Last edited by sx460; August 25th, 2005 at 06:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I'm fully switched now.

Beans

I am now using Ubuntu 100% at home. I have been dual-booting or playing around with linux since RedHat 5 or 6, but this is the first distro that had the stability, ease of use and graphical appeal to draw me in...

...PLUS, I lost my Windows XP Certificate of Authenticity when moving (discovered this when trying to rebuild my XP machine with only the data, and not OS, backed-up). I suppose I could call Gateway or Microsoft to see if something could be done, but this was a good excuse to dive in headfirst.

The experiment has been going on for about 2 weeks with good results so far. Having to learn linux to get a job done (as opposed to rebooting into Windows) has made me learn a lot!

There are still a few things I am missing:

- iTunes - I will try amarok with my iPod, having trouble installing it so far (but that is for another thread)

- DVDShrink - Supposedly this works under WINE, but I haven't tried it and have heard mixed reports

- Craxtion - this is a xbox game backup tool that uses .NET, I'm not sure something like this even exists on linux

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sx460
    I find it annoying how people bash Windows left and right and say it's a "piece of crap" and so insecure and unstable.... While everyone is saying how instable Windows [XP] is, I find that hard to agree with. I run it now and it runs great for me. Yes, I have a virus scanner and have to be careful where I surf and have to scan for viruses/spy/adware every once and a while, but being careful I rarely if ever get infected which I believe is what most of you all are complaining about when you describe Window's insecurities.
    I totally agree with this. Sure, Windows ME was garbage, but I've had very few problems with Windows XP, and I find it to be a very stable OS. Control-Alt-Delete works about 99% of the time when the computer freezes up or a program hangs.

For a moment get off your Linux high horses and take a second to not lie to yourself about how hard it can be to install video drivers, get the network to work, remove installed programs/track ones you've installed, the cumbersomeness of having to use to the console to fix some (not all) setting/problems. Windows has the beauty of the double-click where you can double click your downloaded video drivers to install them as well as any other program.
    This is where I start to disagree. My experience with Windows drivers has been difficult. First of all, when I search for drivers, I get weird sites with lots of hyphens in their URLs (i.e., not that trustworthy). Plus, I usually have to track down some weird .inf file. And I've had several issues with programs not having an uninstall entry in the add/remove programs dialogue, or having an entry when it's already been uninstalled (in which case I've had to go to the registry to edit out that removal entry). When Windows works, it works extremely well. When it doesn't work, it's a real pain.

I'd say a big problem with people not wanting to adobt Linux is because of the initial and ongoing frustrations that occur because it's an ubber-geek centric OS.
    Actually, Linux isn't an OS. I'm not just being nitpicky with words here. Ubuntu is Ubuntu, but it's definitely not Slackware or Linspire. No one can argue convincingly that Linspire is an "uber-geek-centric OS."

But let's not get on our high horses about the ease of use of Linux and it's ability to answer all of life's questions because when we do that, we hinder Linux's great development with of our Linux arrogance.
    On the contrary, we do nothing of the sort. Ubuntu has a new version that comes out every six months. A lot of other Linux distributions also have a similar (if not totally consistent) development cycle. I can prance around all day saying, "Hey, Linux is easy. Hey, Linux answers all of life's questions," and it's not going to stop Gnome developers from developing or Ubuntu developers from developing.

Why don't you get off your own high horse?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I haven't switched 100% but almost.

The only thing I use Windows for is gaming and Dreamweaver, as I haven't mastered nvu as yet. Otherwise, I use Ubuntu for almost everything, though I haven't tested the printer...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10

I want to move to Linux-only, but I'm still struggling to get basic things to work. I'm knocking them off one by one, but any one of them could send me back to XP licking my wounds.

I think once I can get sound to work in Flash (preferably in Konqueror) and I get the system to find my ATI tv-in broadcast, I'll be set for 100% Kubuntu. Well, and I haven't tried CD/DVD burning yet (first things first...), so that would have to work as well.

I love how I've set up my KDE interface, I love the idea of repositories, and in my experience, most tasks work better and faster under Linux (when the programs don't crash). I'm so happy with that part of the experience that I'm trying with everything I've got to get it to work.

Page 51 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151551 ... LastLast